Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Baltimore County Fire Dept. 2012

Forum Member

Jasper173: I definitely went as fast, and safe, as I possibly could. I would prob guess that I was in the very low 7's on overall time. The biggest thing was not slowing down in between events. Just had to keep your head down and hustle

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by col.squirt View Post
    Jasper173: I definitely went as fast, and safe, as I possibly could. I would prob guess that I was in the very low 7's on overall time. The biggest thing was not slowing down in between events. Just had to keep your head down and hustle
    Thanks. Guess I shouldn't hold my breath then. I thought I did very well. Better than I expected even. While I don't imagine I was in the 7-minute area, I would be surprised if it was more than 10. I felt I moved at a great clip the entire time. Probably could have moved a little faster but not by much. I don't know how you get around the 7 minute area. The two stair events alone at minimum have to add up to 2 and 1/2 or so. Plus all the walking in between. Who knows?

I wonder how, if at all the written test weighs in on who gets interviews. I thought I did excellently on that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper173 View Post
    Thanks. Guess I shouldn't hold my breath then. I thought I did very well. Better than I expected even. While I don't imagine I was in the 7-minute area, I would be surprised if it was more than 10. I felt I moved at a great clip the entire time. Probably could have moved a little faster but not by much. I don't know how you get around the 7 minute area. The two stair events alone at minimum have to add up to 2 and 1/2 or so. Plus all the walking in between. Who knows?

I wonder how, if at all the written test weighs in on who gets interviews. I thought I did excellently on that.
    It wasn't that hard to get in the 7's, honestly. Not trying to be arrogant or dicky, but it all comes down to training in the gym, and how badly you want it. The CPAT is also in the 7-8 minute range, so its def doable. The physical was definitely challenging, but it was also fair.

Over the last year and a half, i've lost a significant amount of weight, and I worked my *** off to make sure I was ready for any physicals I may be invited to take. It all comes down to prep, determination, and pure hard head attitude of pushing as hard as you possibly can. Here where I live, testing is so extremely competetive, that you HAVE to be at the top of your game. I'll get off my soap box now ;-)

Good luck to all of those out their taking the interviews!!

Forum Member

I got an interview with BCFD! I am scheduled on the 20th at 1300. I couldn't be happier to have just made it this far. Good luck guys you got this!

Forum Member

I am taking the interview on Sep. 24th. I wonder how many people also got that email.

Forum Member

I am guessing quite a few. If interviews are scheduled throughout five days.

Forum Member

Think i read on a previous thread on here, that the last time the test was given, something like 4000 people took it. They called 2000 out of that 4000 for the physical. They then called 600 out of that 2000 for the interviews. They then hired 30, lol!! Who knows what the #'s were this time.

Do your best to impress, boys and girls, because odds are they have a decent amount of us to choose from.

Forum Member

I scored in the 95th percentile or better on the written & completed the physical in a very fast & safe manner...I haven't received an interview email yet though, is there a number I should call or can call to inquire? Thanks anyone for the help! (Not being arrogant by the way, just stating my performance would warrant an interview if that is what it is based off of.)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by j4321 View Post
    I scored in the 95th percentile or better on the written & completed the physical in a very fast & safe manner...I haven't received an interview email yet though, is there a number I should call or can call to inquire? Thanks anyone for the help! (Not being arrogant by the way, just stating my performance would warrant an interview if that is what it is based off of.)
    How did you find out you scored in the 95th percentile or better? All I received was a letter saying I passed the written?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by col.squirt View Post
    How did you find out you scored in the 95th percentile or better? All I received was a letter saying I passed the written?
    Because someone with an elementary school education at minimum could have scored in the 95th percentile or better...Haha, I'm slightly teasing...No, but really, the test was a basic competence test and I'm confident of a low margin of error for myself so I estimated 95th percentile or better...Sorry if I was misleading!

But yea, I hope I can find out if I should get an interview...The only thing that crosses my mind that could be a point of disorganization for them is that I opted to complete my physical fitness test during a practice session and didn't go my otherwise scheduled one...So I just hope that their paperwork reflected that & that I'm able to interview...Thanks

Forum Member

Wow, someone is confident. May want to think twice before you carry that confidence into the interview. Not sure the chiefs would like to hear you berating their exams.

Your original post was definitely misleading, thanks for clearing that up. I also took my physical the day of a practice test...maybe you will get an email soon....

Forum Member

Anybody else get the email?seems like only a few of us. Hey col.squirt do you know if there is going to be a chiefs interview after the oral boards?

Forum Member

Yes, I received an email have my interview the 20th.... good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Candidate626 View Post
    Anybody else get the email?seems like only a few of us. Hey col.squirt do you know if there is going to be a chiefs interview after the oral boards?
    This interview is the final interview. We are going to be sitting in front of a 3 panel board, not sure exactly who is on it though. After the interview, the next steps in the process are: conditional offer of employment, background check, physical and stress test.

I'm guessing that there will also be more than one round of interviews, being done. I'm thinking more people will get emails probably in October or so, after they start weeding through the available candidates. Good luck everyone!!
    Last edited by col.squirt; 09-20-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Forum Member

when was the date you will hear by for the next step of hiring? I did the board today not so happy with my performance ( interviews are not my strong point physical performance is ) so im just curious if im gonna get **** canned!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by inkling410 View Post
    when was the date you will hear by for the next step of hiring? I did the board today not so happy with my performance ( interviews are not my strong point physical performance is ) so im just curious if im gonna get **** canned!
    I'm not too sure how I did, either. I did my best, just not sure what they are looking for. As far as I know, they are trying to put a class in for Dec/Jan, so sometime before then. It's going to be a looooooong couple/few months, thats all I know for sure...

Forum Member

Got my GFY letter this morning. No idea why. Best of luck fellas.

Forum Member

what is a GFY letter and was it mailed or emailed?

Forum Member

what is a GFY letter and was it mailed or emailed?
    Sorry, the Go F Yourself letter. Via email:

Thank you for your time and effort spent applying for the position of
    Probationary Firefighter with the Baltimore County Fire Department.

Your application for Probationary Firefighter is not being processed
    any further; however we encourage you to reapply in the future. You may
    go to www.baltimorecountymd.gov/go/jobs for more information and submit
    a *Job Interest Card* for future open application periods.

You must reapply if you are interested in joining our Department. We
    do not carry applications or resumes over from year to year.

Jay Ringgold
    Lieutenant
    Recruitment Manager

Forum Member

Sorry, the Go F Yourself letter. Via email:
    Sorry to hear that brother I wish you didnt have to answer that!

Forum Member

Sorry to hear that brother I wish you didnt have to answer that!
    It happens. I can't say I understand why I wouldn't even get an interview. Could be my bachelor's degree, solid work history, clean background and driving record. Who knows? I don't even want to hypothesize how they chose some candidates to continue on in the process.

Fortunately I have two other irons in other fires. Here's to hoping right?? Good luck to all those still in the running.

Forum Member

That sucks, man. Sorry to hear you got that. Good luck to everyone else

Forum Member

It happens. I can't say I understand why I wouldn't even get an interview. Could be my bachelor's degree, solid work history, clean background and driving record. Who knows? I don't even want to hypothesize how they chose some candidates to continue on in the process.

Fortunately I have two other irons in other fires. Here's to hoping right?? Good luck to all those still in the running.
    So you didnt even get an interview?

Forum Member

So you didnt even get an interview?
    Negative Ghostrider. Apparently the pattern was full.

Forum Member

Total number interviewed??
    Last edited by Leather_4_Ever; 09-29-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Thread Information