Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radio issues NY

Default Radio issues NY

Now, I am willing to bet this news story is like most - not all the information and not the correct information.

295.00 per radio for reprogramming? I don't care who you are, that is way steep.

If that is the real cost, then another vendor needs to be found. Anyone know?

http://schumer.senate.gov/record.cfm?id=335895&

Any wild arse guess what type of system it is? ?

/\/\

:-}

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Now, I am willing to bet this news story is like most - not all the information and not the correct information.

295.00 per radio for reprogramming? I don't care who you are, that is way steep.

If that is the real cost, then another vendor needs to be found. Anyone know?

http://schumer.senate.gov/record.cfm?id=335895&
    In political moves like that, everyone gets their cut! We're only paying $350 for new pagers all programmed.

There just has to be more then just reprogramming.

Would flashing the radios to add features add to the cost? I'm over my head on this, but what about adding certain upgrades to the firmware?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    There just has to be more then just reprogramming.

Would flashing the radios to add features add to the cost? I'm over my head on this, but what about adding certain upgrades to the firmware?
    /\/\ is probably right.

It could be a flash. I don't know, but sure wish the paper got it right....

Forum Member

Don't get the part about not being allowed to use DHS funds to upgrade non-DHS purchased equipment. Happens all the time in AFG with SCBA upgrade kits to meet the current standard, did a ton of those years ago to move from 1997edition to 2002edition compliance. Been done a few times for 1997 and 2002 to 2007. Not like DHS is liable for any issues with the radios being upgraded, either they can or they can't, and if a few the upgrade doesn't work on sounds like it would be a warranty issue, or something like that since the manufacturer says it can be done and has a price for it. Pay and it doesn't work, manufacturer finds solution to get customer what they paid for, a working unit. But I digress, since it's late and I'm making sense....won't get anywhere doing that....

Forum Member

Interoperability is great and allows us to talk to anyone from anywhere in the state but Motorola is raking us over the coals. The state only allows the MCC7500 to have a microwave link to the tower sites and Motorola says only one logging recorder (one they sell with the system) will work. They wanted $208,000 for engineering alone to replace a two position console and $150,000 to replace a logging recorder we paid $12,000 for 8 years ago, which was trunking capable and recorded our EDACS trunking just fine.

There have been numerous instances where a vendor was awarded a big communications grant and not been able to make the system work properly. When you get to that point there is a lot of finger pointing and everyone is trying to shift the blame elsewhere.
    Bad design will not get better.
    cheaper usually won't work properly!
    The low bidder probably is having to cut corners!
    Proprietary equipment is not the smart way to go if you need interoperability!

Ah, a system where motorola literally holds the key to anything you do. I would find the elected officials responsible and vote them out. AR? You could always just set up a control station, and hook that to a console solution like the Telex IP based solution, or even an analog solution. The state only sees it as another mobile radio on the system. That is how we got around the same type of situation in another AR county.

Thread Information