Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Advice and Suggestions Please I Am A Felon And Need Help

Forum Member

Default Advice and Suggestions Please I Am A Felon And Need Help

Hey guys, I received a felony conviction here in north carolina 3 years ago for running from the police on a motorcycle when I was 17. I know it was stupid and don't need anymore criticism, I just need some advice, tips, leads, anything about employment in the fire service. I have been on a volunteer department for a year, graduated from the fire and tr academies with flying colors along with emt school but still no luck finding a paid position.

Please help me help others, this is my life goal.

Thanks

FF Thomas

Forum Member

Is 17 an adult or juvenile in your state?

Running from an officer is a felony in your state ??

Were there other charges/ circumstances involved??

Forum Member

Consider yourself lucky, in Pa. you would not have been able to get EMT with a felony conviction.

That being said, you have to remember that there will be literally hundreds of candidates for every one, single opening. There will be hundreds of fully qualified candidates with clean criminal records......Who do you think anyone charged with FD hiring is going to go after?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I would consult with an attorney. See if there is anyway to have the conviction changed to a lesser charge. Due to time passed and circumstances, a court might allow it. However, that being said, it will probably cost a lot of money in court fees & attorney fees. That would be the best suggestion I can think of.

MembersZone Subscriber

In Indiana your juvenile record is sealed and I don't think you have to disclose these on applications. Net

MembersZone Subscriber

You can be tried as an adult in NC at age 16 and above, so it is an adult record not a juvenile record.

JT1317, just be happy that a Vollie dept was willing to take a chance on you, and except that your decision to run from the police has had and will continue to have long lasting consequences. Good luck with getting on a paid dept anytime soon. Remember just because people in Hell want ice water really bad doesn't mean they going to get it!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    I would consult with an attorney. See if there is anyway to have the conviction changed to a lesser charge. Due to time passed and circumstances, a court might allow it. However, that being said, it will probably cost a lot of money in court fees & attorney fees. That would be the best suggestion I can think of.
    I've filled out one background and it asked for not only juvenile but also expunged items. As BC Lepore may chime in, they'll find it and even if it gets dumped to a lesser charge they'll find out what it was to start. You'll want to talk to the departments you want to work for and get their view. I know that the departments I've looked at won't touch you with a felony. Good luck anyway!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bwspeer View Post
    In Indiana your juvenile record is sealed and I don't think you have to disclose these on applications. Net

Some just plain ask have you ever been arrested

Plus with the private background checkers on the Internet, they list alot of a person 's history

Forum Member

The background that I went through brought up everything. If you were tried as an adult it will be there. Certainly not going to lecture you on your decision, you made it and youve got to live with it. However, I do think the decision you made will screw you for a firefighting job. Personally, as said above, I'd be happy that a volunteer department allowed you to join and learn to love being a volunteer. Sorry to sound negative but bad decisions have bad consequences.

Forum Member

It was high speed on a sport bike, which made it a felony. and yes you are an adult here when you are 16 unfortunately which is rediculous.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Consider yourself lucky, in Pa. you would not have been able to get EMT with a felony conviction.

That being said, you have to remember that there will be literally hundreds of candidates for every one, single opening. There will be hundreds of fully qualified candidates with clean criminal records......Who do you think anyone charged with FD hiring is going to go after?
    i was told i wasnt allowed to get it here also and fought for 9 months with the state ems board jumping through hoops and finally got it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    Longshot, I am in the process of doing that now, i don't care if it costs me mounds of money more than it already has, I just want to succeed. thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bwspeer View Post
    BWSPEER thanks for that I will look into that, honestly I am more than willing to relocate, I am tired of wasting time being jerked around about this

Forum Member

and as for the people in hell want ice water perspective, there are people on FDNY with worse felonies serving all the time, it's not impossible. thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JT1317 View Post
    and as for the people in hell want ice water perspective, there are people on FDNY with worse felonies serving all the time, it's not impossible. thanks.

Good for them, move to NY and try your luck there, because you've got less than a snow balls chance in NC.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JT1317 View Post
    It was high speed on a sport bike, which made it a felony. and yes you are an adult here when you are 16 unfortunately which is rediculous.

What is ridiculous, is the fact that you ran from the police, putting their lives not to mention the rest of the motoring public at risk and now want a pass.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    What is ridiculous, is the fact that you ran from the police, putting their lives not to mention the rest of the motoring public at risk and now want a pass.
    I'm going to wish you luck and say don't give up. What I'm not going to disagree with is this quote above...you made light of a serious offense 16 yrs old or not, someone could have been seriously hurt or worse (hence you got a felony for a reason)... I believe people can change, with that said unfortunately the hiring personnel only can go off of your past and of course there will be plenty of clean backgrounds. All you can do is work at staying clean and get yourself experience and prepared for tests and interviews. With A LOT of luck who knows, crazier things have happened i guess.

P.S When you say things like "I am tired of wasting time being jerked around about this" it looks bad, getting to a position in the fire service should never be a waste of time and trust me if you make it to an oral board or background investigation your going to be "jerked around" about this. I know you knew when you posted this thread there were going to be a few guys that gave you some backlash.

Again i wish you luck.
    Last edited by JPJ1987; 02-07-2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: typo

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    i think you need to not run your mouth about something that you are unfamiliar with im not saying it wasn't serious, i was the only one injured in the chase, ive had 7 major surgeries just to be able to function as a normal person and served my time in the correctional system. I'm not going to sit here and get grilled by someone sitting behind a computer thinking that they're an exact replica of Jesus himself. Read my original post again and learn how to follow instructions

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPJ1987 View Post
    I'm going to wish you luck and say don't give up. What I'm not going to disagree with is this quote above...you made light of a serious offense 16 yrs old or not, someone could have been seriously hurt or worse (hence you got a felony for a reason)... I believe people can change, with that said unfortunately the hiring personnel only can go off of your past and of course there will be plenty of clean backgrounds. All you can do is work at staying clean and get yourself experience and prepared for tests and interviews. With A LOT of luck who knows, crazier things have happened i guess.

P.S When you say things like "I am tired of wasting time being jerked around about this" it looks bad, getting to a position in the fire service should never be a waste of time and trust me if you make it to an oral board or background investigation your going to be "jerked around" about this. I know you knew when you posted this thread there were going to be a few guys that gave you some backlash.

Again i wish you luck.
    thanks and I have made is through many oral boards and written/physical tests only to be told after i passed all of the above that i was then disqualified because of my conviction.

Forum Member

as of today, looks like people in hell just got icewater http://www.myfox8.com/news/wghp-new-...,2347252.story

Thread Information