Forum Member

Default "structured" interview

Hey all, I did some searching but couldn't find much information on what I can expect for a "structured" interview. I have one coming up on the 18th and would just generally like to know if I should be preparing the way that I should for a normal interview?

The department is a relatively large city here in the southeast and the written test consisted of about 130 physicological questions with maybe 20 questions of actual knowledge (english, math, mechanical app.). Furthermore I ran into a friend from my EMS class on test day and he told me that the structured interview consists of 6-10 questions in front of a computer screen. Following the interview physicologists review your answers and between the written and the structured you get your first ranking on the eligibility list.

Has anyone been through anything like this before so I can have some idea of what to expect? Capt. Bob; I have your book, however; it only touches lightly on these structured interviews.

MembersZone Subscriber

A structured interview generally refers to an exam in which the questions are predetermined. Frequently the panel is not permitted to deviate or "explore" any of your answers. It's up to the candidate to answer the question on his or her own without any prompting. In this scenario it's especially important to answer the question and explain the reason for your answer. There will likely be no follow up questions to clarify your answers. Good luck on the exam.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Hey so what types of question or senarios do thay ask the canidate? I heard of some structured interviews being audio and video servalence and i was a littte confused because there will not be and interview pannel. what can i expect

Chris

Forum Member

Mine did not involve a panel, just me, a video screen, sitting in a room alone....
    It was awkward talking to the wall, but I feel like I answered the questions pretty thoroughly so we'll see where it goes.

Forum Member

A structured interview means all the candidates will have the same quesitons with no follow up questions.

In this type of interview you will be presented with a video that shows many situations. You will be recorded by another video to view how you respond. At the end of each situation, you may be given an opportunity to pick one of several answers, tell what you would do or give any other answer.

This is designed to see how you would react in situations if you were a firefighter. If you already had your answers in place, you would get high scores for an oral board, members of a city council hiring committee, B-pad or any other interview. The problem is most candidates don't have their script down to audition for the job of a firefighter.

We teach candidates to prepare like an actor does for a part in a play. Once they are in that part you only see their personal script on becoming a firefighter. This works especially well in the type of interview where you would want to act as if you were already a firefighter. Nothing short of this will do. It's show time. The bright lights of Broadway. It's time to grab your top hat, cane and step it out.

Key in is to listen and identify the issue, catching more than one issue, deciding the correct thing to do and using to total time you are given to answer each segment.

You can find out more on this process on the Internet by using the key search word: B-pad.

Here are four sample scenerios used in B-Pad:

Comforting a trapped child
    Aiding an elderly and ill citizen
    Responding to conflicting orders
    Confronting a coworker's substance abuse

For more, check out: www.bpad.com and www.fireteamtest.com

Previous posting testimony:

I took a this type of test about 4 months ago for a firefighter job. Luckily, I did get the job.

My advice to you would be to remain calm and relaxed through the process. They will give you 45 seconds-1 minute to answer. If you feel that you answered to the best of your ability and you have extra time, sit there and DO NOT FIDGET and move around.

Sit still and wait for that scenario to end. Part of the evaluation is watching how you react after you answer. I think I had 8 scenario's that I had to provide answers for. To be honest, they are all common sense. Don't make more out of it than it is. Above all....remain CALM and COLLECTED. After all, if you can't do that in front of the camera, how are you going to do it on real calls. Good Luck!!

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

So I will be applying to a department where they give a structured oral interview. Is this the same as the computer structured interview spoken about in this post but just in front of a panel with situational questions and so forth? Do they ask u questions like tell me about yourself? Why do you want to be a firefighter? And other questions like that in these types of interviews?

Forum Member

Yes, the same. It's all about presentation skills.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

So no personal ''tell me about yourself type questions?''

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gtcaptain2 View Post
    So no personal ''tell me about yourself type questions?''
    There could be but if it is asked this is just an ice breaker question to get you comfortable in the chair. What’s real important to understand here is that answer is usually not scored! That’s right; there is generally not a box to score the answer for an opening or closing statement.

A one minute or less answer about you and your hobbies is all that is needed here. A "Nugget" here: If they look baffled after your short answer, ask if they want more. They usually won't.

Most candidates make a big error on this question by dumping the whole load on why they want to be a firefighter, what they have done to prepare, why this city and on and on. That's not what this question is about. It's only to get you comfortable in the chair. Then, when the panel starts asking why they want to be a firefighter, what have they done to prepare and the other standard 30 possible oral board questions, they have to reiterate what they have already said. They lose valuable time and points here.

When some candidates start talking in an oral, it’s like going on a journey. There could be no final destination. Most panel members aren’t packed for the trip. I asked a candidate to tell me a little about himself during private coaching one day. I stopped him 12 minutes later. I said you have just used up 12 minutes of a 20 minute oral. What do you think we have time for now?

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Thank u captbob for the breakdown. Makes perfect sense

Thread Information