Forum Member

Found another computer to use for the pics...

There was a thread where we were talking about an EMS cabinet and access to it. I had mentioned on ours, we have a full size compartment on officer side, but only small access door to interior as we don't do EMS so we didn't need bigger. We utilized void space under the bench seat for hook storage that is accessible from driver and officer sides. Pics below...

full cabinet...
    Name:  DSCN0160.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  49.0 KB

hooks at top of opening under bench seat...
    Name:  DSCN0157.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  27.3 KB
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzfireSolo View Post
    Sounds great. Feel free to share anything on here - even if it's just the little stuff, obviously that's the stuff that counts!
    Hows that rig working out with the crazy front bumper? Would you buy another one?

MembersZone Subscriber

Without a doubt, we could all likely cover a large percentage of our work with the same pumper, if we had too. Pump? Check. Tank water? Check. Hose? Check. Basic tool? Check. OK, time to go to work. We could do the job without any emergency lights, no auxiliary lighting, no ladder racks, high hose beds, etc. etc. The fact is that within some reality we can be more efficient if we spec a truck for the way we operate. Could we do it with a basic generic commercial pumper built and equipped to the minimum NFPA spec? Yes. There is some middle ground that's still within reality from the most basic engine through the ultra-custom every bell and whistle rescue pumpers that go to more parades than fires.

If your citizens are happy and support the $800k engine and aren't circling the taxation drain, more power to you. If you're losing firefighters, police officers, closing schools and still can't make municipal payroll, maybe a plain jane fleet is the most responsible thing. If your in the middle, you'll spec what you need to do the job the best you can while being mindful of the taxpayers. I figure the harder I make it for the taxpayers to pay for our equipment, the harder it'll be for them to fund positions, insurance, or pay raises.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Without a doubt, we could all likely cover a large percentage of our work with the same pumper, if we had too. Pump? Check. Tank water? Check. Hose? Check. Basic tool? Check. OK, time to go to work. We could do the job without any emergency lights, no auxiliary lighting, no ladder racks, high hose beds, etc. etc. The fact is that within some reality we can be more efficient if we spec a truck for the way we operate. Could we do it with a basic generic commercial pumper built and equipped to the minimum NFPA spec? Yes. There is some middle ground that's still within reality from the most basic engine through the ultra-custom every bell and whistle rescue pumpers that go to more parades than fires.
    That's pretty much how I feel about the subject. In fact, the Engine we are specing right now is basically the same design as the 32 year old truck it's replacing. Its a very simple, efficient design and guess what, I'm pretty sure it'll put out just as much fire as a $500,000 engine.

Another good example of that is a Combo Department in my county. They have 2 Custom Cab Engines, a Custom Cab Tower Ladder, a Commercial Crew Cab Interface Engine, a Commercial 2-Door Tanker, a 2-Door Mini Pumper, and 3 (for lack of a better term) Chiefs Vehicles. All this for a Dept that has been cut down to 6 Full Time positions, they have 2 FF's on duty during the day and only 1 FF during night and weekend shifts. When their rigs leave the station they have 1 person on them as their volunteers respond directly to the scene.

I'm certainly not bad mouthing that dept., they are a really good group of guys and gals, paid and vollies both, and we work with them a lot. It's just a good example of where less fancy would work good, and save taxpayers thousands of dollars.
    Last edited by FF715MRFD; 02-10-2012 at 08:21 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks good, Bones. Did you guys end up doing the donut rolls in the bumper?

FD1976 - That's a long story and a complicated answer. It's unfortunate that the feature that people remember the most is the darn moving bumper, which was one of the few things on the rig that I do NOT take responsibility for..

Forum Member

No, I lost the donut roll battle. Front bumper has 2 1/2" discharge with a gated wye on it. 100' of 1 3/4" line and 50' of 1" line. Front suction also.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information