Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

They said over 4,000 applied

Forum Member

I second that of some others. I scored near a 100 on the test, answered the interview scenario questions very well in my opinion, but apparently bombed the interview. Please keep in mind the people doing the interviews are teachers, community members, etc. These people are not firefighters, they are ordinary people who have been trained on what to look for as a good answer. As with any other job application, you play the game the best you can so that you can get hired.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMuscleMan21 View Post
    So does anyone know how many testing this go around?
    Last year there were several thousand that showed up for the test. I would say though if you even get an interview you have a chance, no matter your test score. Look at the scores/ranks from last year (if they're still up), and you will see that it's almost all about the Structure oral interview

Forum Member

So whoever is on the final ranking list means they get a conditional offer? Or do they take the top 50 from the list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilent_child View Post
    I'm coming 665 miles via bus. How far are some of you having to travel?

I'm in Austin, too!

BTW I emailed recruitment yesterday and they said they'll be posting a free study guide on the website later this week, so keep an eye on that if you're interested. I've been taking the practice exams on gethiredbyfire.com but it'll be nice to know what kind of questions to expect from the official test.

Forum Member

Also, for any of you in town, they're doing a CPAT mentoring program again. I'm doing my first session tomorrow or Friday and am pretty stoked. Xochitl.Hernandez@austintexas.gov is the person to contact if interested.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    Also, for any of you in town, they're doing a CPAT mentoring program again. I'm doing my first session tomorrow or Friday and am pretty stoked. Xochitl.Hernandez@austintexas.gov is the person to contact if interested.
    Hell, I might scheduled mine as well...hopefully me being military will have me in enough shape to fly through it...but we will see i guess. But luckily with my Honorable Discharge I already have an additional 3 points on the written exam. Im just hoping they hurry up and put out the study guide.

Forum Member

They put 101 out of the last list in the academy. The class has a good mix of cadets with no previous fire experience and those with it.

Forum Member

I'm from northern CA, made the trip the last two years. Did very well on the written but was disappointed with the interview process. I would of liked to have at least one question pertaining to "what have you done to prepare yourself for this position". I would also like if we can bring a resume- perhaps only interviewing the top 500 scores would give more time to interview with actual fire personnel.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dame803 View Post
    Hell, I might scheduled mine as well...hopefully me being military will have me in enough shape to fly through it...but we will see i guess. But luckily with my Honorable Discharge I already have an additional 3 points on the written exam. Im just hoping they hurry up and put out the study guide.
    I just passed my CPAT yesterday with SAFD. Been keeping myself in shape (have lost about 30 lbs. since Jan), but it was still brutal. You should be fine though. The stair climb is really the only challenging part in my opinion. Also, you get 3 vet points on your comp score, which makes a way bigger difference than getting them on your written exam. I am still wondering what grading scale they used for the interview scores because the highest was around a 75. I scored a 62.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 49erfaithful View Post
    I'm from northern CA, made the trip the last two years. Did very well on the written but was disappointed with the interview process. I would of liked to have at least one question pertaining to "what have you done to prepare yourself for this position". I would also like if we can bring a resume- perhaps only interviewing the top 500 scores would give more time to interview with actual fire personnel.
    So you failed the interview process both times?

Forum Member

What is the timed treadmill test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilent_child View Post
    What is the timed treadmill test?
    Someone else asked earlier too, but no replies.

I too have no idea what it is, as it was not there last year.

Forum Member

I had a treadmill eval during medical section of backgrounds. 12 lead ekg and BP measurement during a several minute treadmill run that increased in speed and incline until the end. I imagine it would be less so?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EventualFF View Post
    I had a treadmill eval during medical section of backgrounds. 12 lead ekg and BP measurement during a several minute treadmill run that increased in speed and incline until the end. I imagine it would be less so?
    I have had that too, but I doubt Austin is going to hook us up to a EKG. I'm wondering how long are we required to be on the treadmill.

Forum Member

Is it normal for Austin to call there applicants? I have been called about 4 or 5 times.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    Is it normal for Austin to call there applicants? I have been called about 4 or 5 times.
    Yes, Austin does communicate very well with its candidates. If you actually get a person on the other end, I would be surprised.

The chief just called me today. I felt special

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    I've been told it's a lot more likely if you're one of the demographics they're actively recruiting. Must be why I always have at least 2-3 missed calls from them every week.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brockrocks View Post
    Yes, Austin does communicate very well with its candidates. If you actually get a person on the other end, I would be surprised.

The chief just called me today. I felt special
    Wow thats a lot of phone calls. There was a person on the other in twice for me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    I've been told it's a lot more likely if you're one of the demographics they're actively recruiting. Must be why I always have at least 2-3 missed calls from them every week.
    I'm 665 miles away. I don't think that puts me in the demographic area.
    For those who stay miles away, did you have to make travel arrangement for each process? I see there are 4 steps; thats a lot of trips if you don't get hire. I can maybe bypass the CPAT. It states that you can take the CPAT from an accredited institution, which my department is; I checked their list.
    Last edited by psilent_child; 04-19-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Forum Member

demographics as in minorities

i flew from out of state, several cadets also, its worth it if u get the offer

Forum Member

demographics as in minorities

i flew from out of state, several cadets also, its worth it if u get the offer
    Do you work for Austin?

Forum Member

Im in the academy

Forum Member

Im in the academy
    Well if that's the case I'm thinkin you need a name change to CurrentFF?
    Well done!

Thread Information