Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EventualFF View Post
    Im in the academy
    How is it? Any advice or tips? Where are you staying coming from anthor state?The thing that's hold me back is giving up 11 years at the fire department I'm at now and spending money to take the test to not get hired.
    Last edited by psilentchild; 04-20-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    The thing that's hold me back is giving up 11 years at the fire department I'm at now and spending money to take the test to not get hired.
    You either take a chance/risk and go for it w/ nothing ever being guaranteed or you stay where you're at and always regret saying should've, would've, could've. your choice. God speed.
    Dame803 likes this.

Forum Member

If anyone needs a spot to stay during the process feel free to PM me. Its been a great experience. Depending on the long term prospects of your current fd, afd has great retirement and there are several people that have yrs with another fd that is in the current academy.

Forum Member

@Eventul. Congrats bro! I just tried to PM you but not sure if it went through. Please let me know if it did. Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EventualFF View Post
    If anyone needs a spot to stay during the process feel free to PM me. Its been a great experience. Depending on the long term prospects of your current fd, afd has great retirement and there are several people that have yrs with another fd that is in the current academy.
    What's a Treadmill Fitness Evaluation?
    Last edited by psilent_child; 04-20-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Forum Member

Check megabus for transportation , if in your area or can get dropped off

http://us.megabus.com/routemap.aspx

http://blog.shermanstravel.com/2012/...eat-giveaways/

Forum Member

I'm on a bus line that's 10 minutes to downtown (where the exam is held) if anyone needs a couch to sleep on during the process. Pulls out into a full size bed. Must love dogs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilent_child View Post
    So you failed the interview process both times?
    No, just last year. The year before I chose not to fly-out because a local department was testing on the same day. Unfortunately the local department cancled their hiring process, so I kind of shot myself in the foot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    I'm on a bus line that's 10 minutes to downtown (where the exam is held) if anyone needs a couch to sleep on during the process. Pulls out into a full size bed. Must love dogs.
    Does the offer still stand? I like dogs...in fact, I have one! I only need a place for Sunday night for the written on Monday. Please, let me know! Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 49erfaithful View Post
    No, just last year. The year before I chose not to fly-out because a local department was testing on the same day. Unfortunately the local department cancled their hiring process, so I kind of shot myself in the foot.
    Why do you think you failed the interview process?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilent_child View Post
    Why do you think you failed the interview process?
    I should have went into more detail on the given answers as well as taken into account more that the interviewers have no previous knowledge of the fire service.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by STACEFIVE View Post
    Does the offer still stand? I like dogs...in fact, I have one! I only need a place for Sunday night for the written on Monday. Please, let me know! Thanks!
    I PMed you!

Forum Member

I found out about the treadmill test. Its similar to a stress test.
    aliciaaaaah likes this.

Forum Member

I'm studying my butt off for this exam!!! I've also found out that they heavily recruiting minorities...so hopefully that and me being military will help me along the way!!! I guess we'll see soon enough right?....so how many of you live in Austin?

Forum Member

I'll be coming in from Southern california to test with Austin again. I tested last year, got in the top 6% but was about 120 or so spots out. I wasn't going to apply but I've been in backgrounds with the sheriffs department for so long and austin recruitment sent me a few emails, phone calls and a personal call from one of their recruitment staff members that me and my wife decided to make a vacation out of it. I did pretty good on the test last year and did ok on the oral. i agree with those who say it's too many people to interview. Plus the fact that it's not FF's interviewing but actual citizens makes it a bit more tricky.

Anyways....anyone else from Southern California traveling out for the test? be good to know I'm not the only Angelino headed over!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jperez51 View Post
    I'll be coming in from Southern california to test with Austin again. I tested last year, got in the top 6% but was about 120 or so spots out. I wasn't going to apply but I've been in backgrounds with the sheriffs department for so long and austin recruitment sent me a few emails, phone calls and a personal call from one of their recruitment staff members that me and my wife decided to make a vacation out of it. I did pretty good on the test last year and did ok on the oral. i agree with those who say it's too many people to interview. Plus the fact that it's not FF's interviewing but actual citizens makes it a bit more tricky.

Anyways....anyone else from Southern California traveling out for the test? be good to know I'm not the only Angelino headed over!

You do know that it gets hot in Texas , they have mo mountains, beaches, or deserts??

But except for Austin there is no traffic

Forum Member

How are you studying. I looked at the guide they posted and it seemed all general aptitude testing. Common sense stuff. If you have a better guide though please share it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    You do know that it gets hot in Texas , they have mo mountains, beaches, or deserts??

But except for Austin there is no traffic

Ah yes...the "hot, no beaches no mountains" statement Honestly, I've lived in So. Cal my whole life and seen everything i can see. As much as i don't want to leave this area, overpopulation, rising cost of living and more and more people taking up all the jobs has forced me to put my family first and make a good decision for them and move to a place that: has jobs, good housing, allows guns, has cleaner air, safer neighborhoods, friendlier people, better education, and a place I can see us settling down when i'm ready to retire. unfortunately, with the fiscal state of California, civil servant pensions are the first to go. I was in austin twice last year and I really enjoyed it. It felt a lot like our neighborhood in long beach and it felt like a great place to raise a family. On that note, I'm willing to sacrifice the "luxuries" southern california has for the security of a better life for my family.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Matt View Post
    How are you studying. I looked at the guide they posted and it seemed all general aptitude testing. Common sense stuff. If you have a better guide though please share it.

Mr_Matt i have the "Norman hall's Firefighter exam preparation book" and I used it last year and i got an 86% on my test. it's very thorough but honestly, just do some research on line on the different topics, brush up on your basic math skills, mechanical aptitude (levers, pulleys, formulas for those items), memorization. I would say, go to your local library and check out a bunch of books on firefighter exams. Also, i purchased the Don McNea Fireprep.com study guide and will be getting it around the first week of may. It's supposedly specifically for austin fire exam. I can send you the link if you want. just shoot me an email perez.jerry51 @ gmail . com

Forum Member

overpopulation, rising cost of living and more and more people taking up all the jobs
    You've just described Austin in a nutshell. Add in an infrastructure that was planned in the 60s, built in the 70s, and hasn't really been updated since because we're in a state that refuses to tax people and therefore has no money to spare, and we've found ourselves in a pickle. The housing market here is quickly catching up to the housing market in California (I live in a neighborhood surrounded by section 8 housing. The 2br/1.5ba house next door is about to sell for $200k even though it's in such bad shape that a complete demolition and rebuild is required.) and the only job market that's growing is the tech sector, but most of those jobs are actually in Round Rock and Pflugerville because Williamson County taxes even less than Travis County.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    You've just described Austin in a nutshell. Add in an infrastructure that was planned in the 60s, built in the 70s, and hasn't really been updated since because we're in a state that refuses to tax people and therefore has no money to spare, and we've found ourselves in a pickle. The housing market here is quickly catching up to the housing market in California (I live in a neighborhood surrounded by section 8 housing. The 2br/1.5ba house next door is about to sell for $200k even though it's in such bad shape that a complete demolition and rebuild is required.) and the only job market that's growing is the tech sector, but most of those jobs are actually in Round Rock and Pflugerville because Williamson County taxes even less than Travis County.

Long Beach oh man

my sister is in Irvine

anyway good thing about texas you can live away from the city a few miles and prices are cheaper

Forum Member

Mr_Matt i have the "Norman hall's Firefighter exam preparation book" and I used it last year and i got an 86% on my test. it's very thorough but honestly, just do some research on line on the different topics, brush up on your basic math skills, mechanical aptitude (levers, pulleys, formulas for those items), memorization. I would say, go to your local library and check out a bunch of books on firefighter exams. Also, i purchased the Don McNea Fireprep.com study guide and will be getting it around the first week of may. It's supposedly specifically for austin fire exam. I can send you the link if you want. just shoot me an email perez.jerry51 @ gmail . com
    I was debating on buy the fireprep guide. Do you know anybody that has bought this guide?

Forum Member

What are some good neighborhoods in Austin?

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheHulk86 View Post
    Does this article means they are going to hire minorities to prove they don't discriminate? I wouldn't have thought that Austin had this problem. I'm trying to leave a department because of racial discrimination. I am the only black firefighter at my department. I would hate to leave one department that discriminates for another department that does the same thing.

Thread Information