Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilent_child View Post
    I was debating on buy the fireprep guide. Do you know anybody that has bought this guide?
    I saw several people using it at last years test. I took a shot with it because it doesn't hurt to try and I won't be using that as my only study guide.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jperez51 View Post
    I saw several people using it at last years test. I took a shot with it because it doesn't hurt to try and I won't be using that as my only study guide.
    Did any of them get hired?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    Does this article means they are going to hire minorities to prove they don't discriminate? I wouldn't have thought that Austin had this problem. I'm trying to leave a department because of racial discrimination. I am the only black firefighter at my department. I would hate to leave one department that discriminates for another department that does the same thing.
    I'm not sure if this is a fact or not...but if the Feds are involved something must be going on....so psilentchild, you're not gonna come test or what?...i wouldnt let something like this keep me from applying...sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do

Forum Member

I'm still coming.

Forum Member

The way I see it, there's only one way to find out...even though this has come to the light it's not going to stop me from becoming a Firefighter for the AFD. If they're geared towards hiring minorities to prove this wrong so be it...but i highly doubt that they will hire someone who they feel isn't well suited for the position.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dame803 View Post
    The way I see it, there's only one way to find out...even though this has come to the light it's not going to stop me from becoming a Firefighter for the AFD. If they're geared towards hiring minorities to prove this wrong so be it...but i highly doubt that they will hire someone who they feel isn't well suited for the position.
    I agree with you. If I do get hired I won't think it's because I'm a minority. I am more than qualified to the job.
    Dame803 likes this.

Forum Member

And honestly since they are trying to hire more minorities, maybe it will help those of us who are better suited for the positions stand out more your know?

Forum Member

Or they may overlook better qualified applicants because they feel they have to meet some quota.

Forum Member

Mr_Matt....explain...but it's Highly unlikely, because in an entry level job that requires no experience one can not be "better qualified" than the next, that's why I used the term "suited"...all one must meet are requirements to be hired and take a test and interview...but the only thing that could help someone is the three points that are given to veterans with an honorable discharge, I'm a young Black man with 6 years in the military who is going to have those three points , but when I get hired it will be because they are trying to me a quota right, it won't be because I did well on the test?

Forum Member

This is how problems happen. Even though the minorities that do get hire will have met the minimum qualification they will still will get looked at like the only reason they got the job was because they are a minority.

Forum Member

Exactly, and someone will always get mad at us because they didn't make it but we did...how would they know how someone didn't score high enough or not? They aren't scoring our tests...they just want to make assumptions because they are upset that someone of another race made the cut and they didn't....seriously...it's 2013 get over the racial foolishness...it's not gonna get you anywhere in life...

Forum Member

Exactly, and someone will always get mad at us because they didn't make it but we did...how would they know how someone didn't score high enough or not? They aren't scoring our tests...they just want to make assumptions because they are upset that someone of another race made the cut and they didn't....seriously...it's 2013 get over the racial foolishness...it's not gonna get you anywhere in life...
    I had this happen at my current department. Twelve of us took the lieutenant's test, and there was a 20 point difference between me number 1 and number 2. However, instead of looking at test score people start talking behind my back that I only got promoted because I was black, not because I out scored everybody on the test.

Forum Member

That's just sad, I'm sorry to hear that bud.

Forum Member

That's just sad, I'm sorry to hear that bud.
    It's fine, nobody never said it to my face. If they did I would have kindly told them to look at the test scores and if they didn't like their place on the list then they should have done better.

Forum Member

Not sure how austin works,

some depts rank all the canidates and start at the top and go down as far as hiring

some rank and can pick say among five or so who they want

other depts have different policies and some are dictated by the contract

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    Did any of them get hired?

I have no idea if any of them got hired because I didn't get their names but like i said, it's worth a shot. This will be my second time testing and I definitely want to score at least a 92% on my exam. I was really close last year and am doing everything to ensure i am on that list this year.

About the whole racial issue, I feel if someone is qualified for the job, they will show it with their test scores and their performance at work. if someone else gets a promotion or better job than me, I always look at my performance first and see what I could have done better instead of blaming race.

Forum Member

I don't know how much race plays into Austin Fire Department, although they do actively pursue female firefighters to at least apply to the job. I believe they actually have a video specially dedicated for female applicants (in the past). I have never seen as many female applicants in my whole life (about 8 tests) as I have at one Austin test.

As far as race (I'm Native American/Mexican). I scored a 95% on the written and scored below where I thought I would on the Interview- so I believe your interview grade isn't really going to be affected by race. If you get the job you simply did better than the other candidates. The job requires no previous experience, so be aware that any of your past history is obsolete (doesn't matter how much fire experience and schooling you have), the only thing that counts is military experience (added to final score).

The test has a new vendor this year so my advice may not work as well this year. In years past I have studied Norman Hall's Firefighter Exam book, Austins practice test, and local police agencies practice tests (California Highway Patrol).

Forum Member

I just feel that race should not be a factor at all. They should look at the test scores, CPAT results, and interviews and decide off of that.
    Unfortunately there is unavoidable bias in the interview panel.

Forum Member

So does anybody know the nber situation; people testing and how many they looking for this time around?

Forum Member

So does anybody know the nber situation; people testing and how many they looking for this time around?

May the BEST candidates make it!!

Forum Member

80 to 100 looking to hire from the recruiter i spoke with.

Forum Member

I hope any locals here are taking advantage of the CPAT prep classes. They have been invaluable for me and a killer workout to boot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    I hope any locals here are taking advantage of the CPAT prep classes. They have been invaluable for me and a killer workout to boot.
    aliciaaaaah where do i sign up for the classes?... where are they held and how often are they?

Forum Member

So i've been studying the norman halls book like crazy but still didn't feel my mechanical aptitude, spatial reasoning and general math skills are good enough yet. I rented barrons "how to prepare for the mechanical aptitude and spatial relations test" book and also Arco's ASVAB practice book. Has anyone else used these or have any idea of how to use them? I did get the Don McNea fireprep.com study guide but will not get it until i believe the 6th of may.

Forum Member

I posted the email address in this thread a few days ago. They're held at Krieg Field (the AFD Wellness Center is there, along with a training tower) at either 6 a.m. or 6 p.m. depending on the day. Each session ends with time on the stair machine with either a 50 or 75 lb vest, which has been the best part for me since I could only find a 40 lb vest to buy locally.

Thread Information