Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

go to www.weightvest.com if you want a good quality weight vest that you can train with for CPAT and just in general even after you get hired...this is where I got mine years ago and it helped tons and I still train with it after getting hired onto my department. And as for the race/minority thing...Austin is just trying to recruit more minorities to take the test. It doesn't mean they will automatically get the job b/c they are minorities. Im a prime example...i didn't make it last year and im a minority. I got a 79 on the written and didn't do well enough in the interview to make the top 120, and my score included military points. so lets not make this a race or sex thing, b/c you still have to get the score and pass all parts of the hiring process to get hired...i know a woman who was in the top 7 overall of last year's testing process and got disqualified b/c she didn't pass the stress test which is the very last thing you do in the hiring process. SO THERE YOU GO FOLKS. its not about white, black, hispanic, male, female. if you are qualified you will get the job, if you are not, you won't!!! period. so if a minority gets the job, then they EARNED it.
    longhorn2008 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    I posted the email address in this thread a few days ago. They're held at Krieg Field (the AFD Wellness Center is there, along with a training tower) at either 6 a.m. or 6 p.m. depending on the day. Each session ends with time on the stair machine with either a 50 or 75 lb vest, which has been the best part for me since I could only find a 40 lb vest to buy locally.
    How did you hear about this class? Did they email you or something?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Matt View Post
    How did you hear about this class? Did they email you or something?
    I got a call from a recruiter asking me if I had any questions about prepping. I asked when they'd start scheduling practice runs at the CPAT so I could see where any potential weaknesses were, and that's when they told me about the class.

Forum Member

I have to share this with you guys because none of my friends are appreciating it

Name:  tumblr_ml4dsbkweH1r8se0eo1_500.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  93.4 KB

http://horseecomics.tumblr.com/post/...p-7-flights-of
    Dame803 likes this.

Forum Member

I got the reply so I will be going on Tuesday for sure. Thanks for posting that on here. I haven't received any calls and the only email I received was my confirmation for the written exam.

Forum Member

Anyone attending the Don McNea seminar at May 10th? I am thinking about it since AFD has a new test vendor this year. Has anyone attended one in the past? Would you recommend it?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by longhorn2008 View Post
    Anyone attending the Don McNea seminar at May 10th? I am thinking about it since AFD has a new test vendor this year. Has anyone attended one in the past? Would you recommend it?
    I was considering it, but I got a call from a recruiter on Friday to ask if I had any questions about the test so I asked him if he thought it was worth it. He said it's good for people who don't do well in test environments because it's great confidence building, but if you normally test well (standardized tests in high school, etc), then the Norman Hall exam prep book would cover everything you need to know.

Forum Member

I'm going to it. I haven't taken a test in over a year so even if it isn't that informative I will get refreshed on the test taking method and help with nerves on the real test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Matt View Post
    I'm going to it. I haven't taken a test in over a year so even if it isn't that informative I will get refreshed on the test taking method and help with nerves on the real test.
    is it free?

Forum Member

no its not free it's 89 dollars I believe

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gogetit View Post
    no its not free it's 89 dollars I believe
    uuuuuh, i think I'll pass on that one...I'm usually pretty good when it comes to taking tests...$89? man thats a new pair of shoes! or a month supply of workout supplements!

Forum Member

Lol they literally just called me! I'm pretty confident about the test and interview!

Forum Member

After reading the study guide provided by AFD, it looks like this exam will be a lot different than the previous two years. Correct me if I am wrong, but we will be given a booklet to study at the beginning, then we are to memorize the information for the test?

Also, does anyone know if there will be an integrity/behavioral portion? I looked up the test vendor and they have some practice test for purchase, but none for fire. I might buy the police one.

Forum Member

After reading the study guide provided by AFD, it looks like this exam will be a lot different than the previous two years. Correct me if I am wrong, but we will be given a booklet to study at the beginning, then we are to memorize the information for the test?

Also, does anyone know if there will be an integrity/behavioral portion? I looked up the test vendor and they have some practice test for purchase, but none for fire. I might buy the police one.
    I haven't heard anything about a study guide before the test, but I guess we will see...and as for the intergrity/behavioral portion, it has been eliminated.

I don't know about you guys but I'm arriving at 0800 so I can get a good parking spot.

Forum Member

I bought the "at home" Don McNea study guide and received it in the mail yesterday and has really been useful for me because of one reason: I was having difficulty knowing exactly what to study for the mechanical aptitude/mathematics portion of the test and the study guide really helped point in the right direction as to what i need to study exactly. I feel pretty confident about the rest of it but am definitely going to study like crazy.

Last year, i got there at 0700 and waited outside for about 2.5 hours until they let us in. This year, I'll probably be there around 0830 just because when registration starts, it doesn't really matter who was there first. I'd rather be refreshed after a good nights sleep and have a good breakfast instead of opt for coffee and a bagel like i did last year.

Anyone know what the time limit (if there is one) on the exam is?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jperez51 View Post
    I bought the "at home" Don McNea study guide and received it in the mail yesterday and has really been useful for me because of one reason: I was having difficulty knowing exactly what to study for the mechanical aptitude/mathematics portion of the test and the study guide really helped point in the right direction as to what i need to study exactly. I feel pretty confident about the rest of it but am definitely going to study like crazy.

Last year, i got there at 0700 and waited outside for about 2.5 hours until they let us in. This year, I'll probably be there around 0830 just because when registration starts, it doesn't really matter who was there first. I'd rather be refreshed after a good nights sleep and have a good breakfast instead of opt for coffee and a bagel like i did last year.

Anyone know what the time limit (if there is one) on the exam is?
    Negative, but when they called me I asked a ton of questions, and they said to expect to be there for a while, because the test will consume most of the day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dame803 View Post
    Negative, but when they called me I asked a ton of questions, and they said to expect to be there for a while, because the test will consume most of the day.
    Oh yeah I definitely expect to be most of the day. last year, i left around 4:30. My wife already has her day planned: Lay by the pool, sleep in the hotel. She'll plenty of time for that!! But I'm assuming "test will consume most of the day" will probably depend on how quickly you work through the test.

Forum Member

Oh yeah I definitely expect to be most of the day. last year, i left around 4:30. My wife already has her day planned: Lay by the pool, sleep in the hotel. She'll plenty of time for that!! But I'm assuming "test will consume most of the day" will probably depend on how quickly you work through the test.
    where are you coming from?

Forum Member

Anyone have any idea how many people applied versus how many they're hiring?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bestcoast858 View Post
    Anyone have any idea how many people applied versus how many they're hiring?
    Roughly 5000 applied, they only hiring between 80-100

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I am coming from Miami for this one.

Roughly 5000 applied, they only hiring between 80-100

Forum Member

where are you coming from?
    I'm coming from southern california. flying in sun afternoon, leaving tues night.

5,000?! is that a definite? I heard from the messages and the recruiter i talked to that they had 1,000 fewer applicants than last year. strange

Forum Member

I'm coming from southern california. flying in sun afternoon, leaving tues night.

5,000?! is that a definite? I heard from the messages and the recruiter i talked to that they had 1,000 fewer applicants than last year. strange
    That's what I also thought, but when i recieved a call from them, I asked how many applied and he said rougly 5000.

Forum Member

The study guide they posted is a LOT simpler than the Normal Hall prep book. The formulas/math questions for mechanical aptitude are overwhelming me. I'm really hoping none of that ends up being on the AFD test since the sample questions in their guide didn't include anything about it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    The study guide they posted is a LOT simpler than the Normal Hall prep book. The formulas/math questions for mechanical aptitude are overwhelming me. I'm really hoping none of that ends up being on the AFD test since the sample questions in their guide didn't include anything about it.
    Whats overwhelming you? the Norman Hall prep book, or the one they posted?

Thread Information