Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Txstate86 View Post
    The test wasn't that bad but I did get tripped up on the Mechanical section!
    Mechanical Section threw me off too. I was using Norman Hall's and Barrons, so I was ready to do some MA calculations. E*ED=R*RD!!!

I really don't know how to feel. I think I did well. I took the entire allotted time. I feel confident about my answers, except for a hand full. How many total questions were there excluding the Behavioral assessment?

This was my first time taking a fire exam. I plan on testing in SA, that's where I have my heart set on. It's been a really great experience.

It's was really interesting to see so many people who share the same dream/goal. Studying for the past couple of month and secluding myself made me forget just how many people were giving the same amount if not more effort as I did. Good Luck to everyone who took the test. Gonna be a long week
    Last edited by Apollo85; 05-13-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    I think I did pretty good, but test score may say different. How soon did they post test scores last year?
    Website says they'll be posted by 5 p.m. May 24. That's my wedding anniversary and I'd like to not spend it refreshing the AFD site, so I'm really really hoping for sooner.

Forum Member

Hey guys I took the test last year and I want to say there were about the same number of applicants. The test however was drastically different! It was shorter and I thought definitely a lot easier. The memorization portion was also new but I found to be quite easy. I scored a 97.5 on the test last year so I'm hoping to score about the same. I wouldn't count on getting the results early either. AFD strategically posts things at 4:59 on Fridays so they don't have to deal with the phone calls.

Forum Member

holy cow 97.5?! How did you not get a call back?...

Forum Member

more them likely 1000 people got 97.8

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dame803 View Post
    holy cow 97.5?! How did you not get a call back?...
    He got a call back and moved forward with 1499 other people. In reality with the exam only worth 20% now, you can be candidate 1500 going in to the orals and still have a chance at getting hired.

Forum Member

How many people do you all think showed up?

Forum Member

Yep, I moved onto the interview last hiring process. It was my first attempt so I'm hoping the experience from last year will help me this go around. Brockrocks is right about the playing field being level after the test scores are released. Last year, I saw guys with pretty low test scores do really well in their interview, and consequently getting the job. I wouldn't get too hyped about the actual score. The key is making it to the next round. I would like to add if you don't have a suit go get one and if you don't have the military points study and practice that much harder for the interview. Goodluck to y'all!
    Last edited by txstate89; 05-14-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Forum Member

How many people do you all think showed up?
    It was the same as last year, maybe 4500. Just a guess.
    Brockrocks likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by txstate89 View Post
    Yep, I moved onto the interview last hiring process. It was my first attempt so I'm hoping the experience from last year will help me this go around. Brockrocks is right about the playing field being level after the test scores are released. Last year, I saw guys with pretty low test scores do really well in their interview, and consequently getting the job. I wouldn't get too hyped about the actual score. The key is making it to the next round. I would like to add if you don't have a suit go get one and if you don't have the military points study and practice that much harder for the interview.
    Goodluck to y'all!
    What do you think you do wrong on the interview?

Forum Member

Sweet! Good thing I have those military points Hooah!

Forum Member

What do you think you do wrong on the interview?
    Don't know if I necessarily did anything wrong. I finished just outside the 200s, I just have to do a better job standing out. There were 1500 smart applicants interviewing, some with a bonus 3 points that I didn't receive. It is such a quick interview and you get absolutely zero feedback from the panel. I think the process needs to be reviewed, but it is what it is and you just have to keep trying.
    longhorn2008 likes this.

Forum Member

I wonder how many of us will be in the Fire Academy together...

Forum Member

I heard between 80 and 100.

Forum Member

They haven't announced yet because, from what I've read in the Statesman, they're still trying to get approval for hiring more people than last year.

Forum Member

last year they took the top 120 after the interviews

Forum Member

Probably a few. We are the ones smart and determined enough to do the research, study and find forums that cover this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    They haven't announced yet because, from what I've read in the Statesman, they're still trying to get approval for hiring more people than last year.
    I talked to someone that works for AFD and they are wanting to between 180 and 200 cadets!

Forum Member

I wish we could all make it! It would be pretty bad *** if we were all in the Academy together! Off subject, but I heard a bunch of people talking about how they didn't study or do anything to prepare...any of you hear anyone say anything like this?

Forum Member

I talked to quite a few people who said they did nothing to prepare for the test, some aren't even going to train for the CPAT. Those are the people who take this seriously and don't make it.

Forum Member

well sucks for them, I work out all the time so I hope I'm ready for it, I heard we shouldn't underestimate it...it kinda upsets me that they are willing to help train those with "smaller stature" prepare for the CPAT, but those of us who have more muscle mass are SOL.

Forum Member

They will need it more. Us big folks are use to hauling around a bunch of weight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Matt View Post
    I talked to quite a few people who said they did nothing to prepare for the test, some aren't even going to train for the CPAT. Those are the people who take this seriously and don't make it.

Well, I certainly studied for the test but perhaps they know they're prepared for the CPAT. That's the boat I'm in, having done it about 5 times now. I want to focus on the interview process as much as possible. Has anyone heard anything about the oral board this year?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Matt View Post

Well, I certainly studied for the test but perhaps they know they're prepared for the CPAT. That's the boat I'm in, having done it about 5 times now. I want to focus on the interview process as much as possible. Has anyone heard anything about the oral board this year?

Forum Member

They will need it more. Us big folks are use to hauling around a bunch of weight.
    But CPAT is all cardio and legs brother!

Thread Information