Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

What I mean is someone that weighs 90pds is going to have a harder time on the stair master with a 75pd vest than a person that weighs 200pds, and will have a harder time with rescue randy. It's like if you weigh 200pds and you see 2 firefighters coming your way. One that ways 90pds 5 foot even and the other that is 6'6 250pd. Who do you think will have an easier time dragging you out?
    Last edited by psilentchild; 05-15-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    What I mean is someone that weighs 90pds is going to have a harder time on the stair master with a 75pd vest than a person that weighs 200pds, and will have a harder time with rescue randy. It's like if you weigh 200pds and you see 2 firefighters coming your way. One that ways 90pds 5 foot even and the other that is 6'6 250pd. Who do you think will have an easier time dragging you out?
    You would think that, but it is more about your wind than strength. I'm doing wind sprints now to get ready. I would suggest everyone work on lung capacity and stamina.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Matt View Post
    You would think that, but it is more about your wind than strength. I'm doing wind sprints now to get ready. I would suggest everyone work on lung capacity and stamina.
    This.

You hardly need strength to complete the cpat. Benching 300 isn't going to help you a bit.

Forum Member

I'm speaking from experience. What good is doing wind sprint if you can't drag rescue randy? What good is wind sprint if you can't handle the weight from the vest? I have seen several people come off the stair master and fall flat on their face cause their legs were gone. They didn't fall because they didn't run enough. They fell because they didn't have the leg strength. The best way to train for the CPAT is to get on a stair master or run up and down some stairs. I'm not saying don't do wind sprints. I'm saying do something to strengthen your legs.
    Last edited by psilentchild; 05-15-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Forum Member

I hope we all make it also. on another note I can't understand why people show up for a written test in their fire department uniform.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gogetit View Post
    I hope we all make it also. on another note I can't understand why people show up for a written test in their fire department uniform.
    I thought that was only in Memphis. The only way I can understand that is if you just got off work and went straight to the testing site without time to change. I think people do it to show everybody that they are a fire fighter.
    Last edited by psilentchild; 05-15-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Forum Member

yeah I understand. I saw a couple people with their department uniform on that I tested for.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gogetit View Post
    Lol yea, I saw people wearing their shirts and all I could do was laugh and think how tacky and slightly disrespectful to their current department it was. Even though you're wearing that it's not going to give you a better chance of getting hired.

Forum Member

I plan on wearing my turn out gear to the interview in full SCBA.

Forum Member

I talked to quite a few people who said they did nothing to prepare for the test, some aren't even going to train for the CPAT. Those are the people who take this seriously and don't make it.
    I have an acquaintance who's applying whose reply when I asked if he wanted to train together was "I don't need to train for this." I'm looking forward to being ranked higher than him.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dame803 View Post
    well sucks for them, I work out all the time so I hope I'm ready for it, I heard we shouldn't underestimate it...it kinda upsets me that they are willing to help train those with "smaller stature" prepare for the CPAT, but those of us who have more muscle mass are SOL.
    Don't know why everyone's stuck on this "smaller stature" thing like they ignored everyone else. They had a class for everyone who wanted to attend that is held 4-5 days a week. It ends this month and people who have been attending it were invited to use the Project Firepower classes, too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    Don't know why everyone's stuck on this "smaller stature" thing like they ignored everyone else. They had a class for everyone who wanted to attend that is held 4-5 days a week. It ends this month and people who have been attending it were invited to use the Project Firepower classes, too.
    I asked them about the class and they asked me my height and weight and when I told them they said "it's aimed towards those of smaller stature" I wanted to go so I could get a few workouts to atty home on my own...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    I have an acquaintance who's applying whose reply when I asked if he wanted to train together was "I don't need to train for this." I'm looking forward to being ranked higher than him.
    Kind of what happens when no requirements to apply!

Forum Member

I've been step milling it up with a weighted vest and trying to super set that with anything is a killer!!

Forum Member

Been reading this forum after this test and here's my opinions!

1. My wife LOVED austin so *when* i get hired, she will feel comfortable living there

2. A little disappointed with the fact that the calls i got said there was 1,000 fewer applicants yet there seemed to be even more testing than last year

3. I feel i did very very well. I had my test taking strategies which really proved helpful, my math skills were better than i expected and mechanical wasn't as tough as i expected. i credit alot of it to the Don McNea study guide. Most of the items on the study guide were almost exactly the same type of questions on the exam

4. I heard about the fire department requesting more Inspectors/FF's for wildfires which would probably translate to a bigger recruit pool. Good thing for all of us is that there is no laterals (from what i heard) this year so it will be all new recruits.

5. I'm glad we don't have to wait a month and a half for test results

6. Hopefully they change the panel interview process to not be so "assembly line" and just rush to get you in and out. Also, I hope they stick an actual FF in the panel. I'm no interview expert but while i've tested and interviewed for PD jobs, they always have a officer on the panel. If it were me, I would want to have a FF on the board just so you can get the perspective of an actual member of the department and not of only citizens.

Just my .02

Forum Member

Been lurkin, I took the test also and was surprised at how simple the test was compared to what I prepared for.
    Hope to see yall at the interview
    The job I have now had 130000 applicants for 4000 spots so just have to believe you can make it.

Forum Member

It seems like it's going to be very competitive with everybody talking about how easy it was.

Forum Member

15 hours of college and you can get a $ 53000 job
    Sign me up for 15 hours of basket weaving

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Wait...you don't have 15hrs of college or the 2 years of active Military Service?

Forum Member

I can't wait for the test results come out!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    lol or are you saying you have 15hrs of Basket Weaving?

Forum Member

I know you are not suppose to judge a book by its cover, but there were some people looked like that can't spell college let alone have 15hrs.

Forum Member

No actually flag foot ball, and bowling

Don't worry I did not test for Austin

Forum Member

I took bowling in college.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    I know you are not suppose to judge a book by its cover, but there were some people looked like that can't spell college let alone have 15hrs.
    Yeah, I was sitting near a guy like that. Had a hard time not laughing openly when he was trying to talk like he had it in the bag. I was also sitting behind three high schoolers who were in a fire academy class at their school and were all just barely 18 and cocky as hell. Call me cynical, but I can't help feeling like a couple of 18-year-olds (who obviously weren't athletes) don't have the basic physical strength to pull my butt out of a burning building, let alone someone twice my size. But I guess they'll have the chance to prove me wrong if they get to that point.

Thread Information