Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    Yeah, I was sitting near a guy like that. Had a hard time not laughing openly when he was trying to talk like he had it in the bag. I was also sitting behind three high schoolers who were in a fire academy class at their school and were all just barely 18 and cocky as hell. Call me cynical, but I can't help feeling like a couple of 18-year-olds (who obviously weren't athletes) don't have the basic physical strength to pull my butt out of a burning building, let alone someone twice my size. But I guess they'll have the chance to prove me wrong if they get to that point.
    if they're only 18 and/or fresh out of high school I highly doubt they have 15 college credits or 2 years of military service...and if they said they did that means they lied on their application...next subject

I noticed you said the 24th is your anniversary! Congrats the 21st will make it four years for my wife and me...lol and on the 24th we will be at the Horseshoe Bay Resort and I hope I can sneak and check the scores while I'm there!
    aliciaaaaah likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dame803 View Post
    if they're only 18 and/or fresh out of high school I highly doubt they have 15 college credits or 2 years of military service...and if they said they did that means they lied on their application...next subject

I noticed you said the 24th is your anniversary! Congrats the 21st will make it four years for my wife and me...lol and on the 24th we will be at the Horseshoe Bay Resort and I hope I can sneak and check the scores while I'm there!

Now what is nice today is you actually get something out of high school in Texas

You can earn college credits for high school work and thinking it may be 15- 30 or more

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    It seems like it's going to be very competitive with everybody talking about how easy it was.
    Remember, the test is only 20% of your comp score. Last year, there were several individuals that scored a 100 that didn’t make the top 120 because of their SOI scores. The test was always worth more last year. Don’t get discourage if you find yourself on the 10th page of the test results. Also, I hope the 1st cut is smaller. 1500 seemed over the top last year. 500-700 seems reasonable if they are hiring the top 120 again.

Forum Member

So....how is everyone enjoying their Friday so far?

Forum Member

Does anyone know if it's more difficult to get hired on with San Antonio FD?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSplinter View Post
    Does anyone know if it's more difficult to get hired on with San Antonio FD?
    I have no idea man...I'm sure it's safe to assume that you applied for both departments?...

Forum Member

Should be the same, just a better process

Do a search of San Antonio for what others have done on prior hires
    Last edited by fire49; 05-17-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dame803 View Post

http://www.dualcredittexas.org/success.php

http://www.dualcredittexas.org/schedule.php

Forum Member

Yeah those kids had credits from standardized test scores and AP classes. Hell, I started college with 12 credits just from my ACT score.

Tell me I'm not the only one who checked the site to see if they posted them this Friday.

Forum Member

Yeah those kids had credits from standardized test scores and AP classes. Hell, I started college with 12 credits just from my ACT score.

Tell me I'm not the only one who checked the site to see if they posted them this Friday.
    I check it every day multiple times. I keep it pulled up on my phone.

Forum Member

I just checked it 15 seconds ago.

Forum Member

Looks like we have another week to wait lol!

Forum Member

Am I the only one checking the web site on the weekend?

Forum Member

No I check it too for some reason.

Forum Member

4 days and 9 hours left of us refreshing the page in vain

Forum Member

It's going to be a long week... And it's bearly Monday...

Forum Member

Lol and it begins!

Forum Member

Any of you going to CPAT training tonight? I took last week off but I'm back in the saddle tonight!

Forum Member

Any of you going to CPAT training tonight? I took last week off but I'm back in the saddle tonight!
    Negative, I've been doing my own PT in order to prepare for the CPAT.

Forum Member

I have been cycling to work for almost a year. My department gives the cpat so I started riding my bike up to the station on my days off, putting on the vest and get on the stair master for a minute. Each week I add another minute.
    Last edited by psilentchild; 05-20-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Forum Member

Sharing my view here, I did the exact same things during my process, double-triple refreshing that page waiting for some update. Today we ran about 5.5 miles in 93 degree weather through a humid park. It felt good to completely soak my afd tee in sweat. I hope you'll get to experience the same soon.
    Brockrocks likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EventualFF View Post
    Sharing my view here, I did the exact same things during my process, double-triple refreshing that page waiting for some update. Today we ran about 5.5 miles in 93 degree weather through a humid park. It felt good to completely soak my afd tee in sweat. I hope you'll get to experience the same soon.
    Thanks Eventual! Hey is it a formation run with cadences? Or is it more like an Indian run (single file) and quiet?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EventualFF View Post
    So can you please let the rest of us know what to expect when the grades for the exam are released? (ie grade release format, wording, etc)

Forum Member

Regarding PT: be in good running shape for academy, have a good 1.5 mile time but also be ready for 4+ miles per run. Weights is needed as there are certainly ff skills that require strength.

Your test is different from mine thus I am not sure. There are many steps ahead, just take it as they come.

Forum Member

There will be cadences, group, and individual.

Thread Information