Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 71415161718192027 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I am coming from Miami for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dame803 View Post
    Roughly 5000 applied, they only hiring between 80-100

Forum Member

where are you coming from?
    I'm coming from southern california. flying in sun afternoon, leaving tues night.

5,000?! is that a definite? I heard from the messages and the recruiter i talked to that they had 1,000 fewer applicants than last year. strange

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jperez51 View Post
    I'm coming from southern california. flying in sun afternoon, leaving tues night.

5,000?! is that a definite? I heard from the messages and the recruiter i talked to that they had 1,000 fewer applicants than last year. strange
    That's what I also thought, but when i recieved a call from them, I asked how many applied and he said rougly 5000.

Forum Member

The study guide they posted is a LOT simpler than the Normal Hall prep book. The formulas/math questions for mechanical aptitude are overwhelming me. I'm really hoping none of that ends up being on the AFD test since the sample questions in their guide didn't include anything about it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    The study guide they posted is a LOT simpler than the Normal Hall prep book. The formulas/math questions for mechanical aptitude are overwhelming me. I'm really hoping none of that ends up being on the AFD test since the sample questions in their guide didn't include anything about it.
    Whats overwhelming you? the Norman Hall prep book, or the one they posted?

Forum Member

Whats overwhelming you? the Norman Hall prep book, or the one they posted?
    Norman Hall. If you have it, they make it seem like you need to have the mechanical advantage/effort/resistance formulas memorized for each different machine. But the recruiter I talked to said we shouldn't need to have any complex formulas memorized, though he wasn't positive.

Forum Member

Wow, 5000 that's a lot and it's less people this year.

Forum Member

Norman Hall. If you have it, they make it seem like you need to have the mechanical advantage/effort/resistance formulas memorized for each different machine. But the recruiter I talked to said we shouldn't need to have any complex formulas memorized, though he wasn't positive.
    The norman halls prep book really confused me too. Try barrons "how to prepare for the Mechanical Aptitude and spatial relations test"....it covers mechanical/spatial objects and really helps. I gave up on the norman halls because of their lack of explanation on their formulas and questions.

Forum Member

I haven't heard anything about a study guide before the test, but I guess we will see...and as for the intergrity/behavioral portion, it has been eliminated.

I don't know about you guys but I'm arriving at 0800 so I can get a good parking spot.
    Did you ask the recruiter about the integrity/behavioral portion or you going off the study guide? Also, if you read the intro of the study guide, it states we will be given a booklet to study. Waco FD's 2011 exam was like this. You were given material to study and memorize (the booklet was given when you turned in your application) and there was no integrity/behavioral portion. I prefer that exam over the I/O solution one.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

So how many people here are currently living in the Austin area?

Forum Member

AFD recently updated their current applicant page:

"The written exam will be administered on May 13, 2013 at the Austin Convention Center which is located at 500 E. Cesar Chavez St. Austin, TX 78701. Applicants will be admitted between 9 am and 12 noon with test procedures and the exam to follow. It is anticipated that the testing process will take much of the afternoon so plan your day accordingly.

The written questions will cover two areas. One area will be questions on mechanical reasoning, mathematical reasoning, spatial ability, verbal reasoning and memorization. Those who score well enough on these questions will be invited to return at a later date for the next step in the hiring process. The written questions will also cover teamwork and work behaviors. Responses to these questions will be used at a later point in the hiring process. The next step in the hiring process is an oral interview in which candidates will respond verbally to specific fact situations. Candidates who complete both the written questions and the oral interview will receive a composite score based on the written questions (20 out of 100 points), oral interview (80 out of 100 points), and any applicable military points (3 points). Employment offers to enter an Austin Fire Department cadet academy will be made based on this composite score and the candidate’s ability to pass a series of assessments including medical, psychological, physical ability and responses to the teamwork and work behavior written questions."

So it looks like they didn't completely do away with the integrity/behavioral portion. The test is divided in two, the latter being "teamwork and work behaviors". Their verbiage is a little confusing. They state if you do good on the first part, you will be invited back. So are we only testing on mechanical reasoning, mathematical reasoning, spatial ability, verbal reasoning and memorization on Monday? also, according to their percentages, the written test is worth 1/5 and your oral interview is 4/5. Is anyone else reading this differently? I have tried to call them back, but keep getting a busy signal. Has anyone spoken to a recruiter since this new update?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by longhorn2008 View Post

"The written exam will be administered on May 13, 2013 at the Austin Convention Center which is located at 500 E. Cesar Chavez St. Austin, TX 78701. Applicants will be admitted between 9 am and 12 noon with test procedures and the exam to follow. It is anticipated that the testing process will take much of the afternoon so plan your day accordingly.

The written questions will cover two areas. One area will be questions on mechanical reasoning, mathematical reasoning, spatial ability, verbal reasoning and memorization. Those who score well enough on these questions will be invited to return at a later date for the next step in the hiring process. The written questions will also cover teamwork and work behaviors. Responses to these questions will be used at a later point in the hiring process. The next step in the hiring process is an oral interview in which candidates will respond verbally to specific fact situations. Candidates who complete both the written questions and the oral interview will receive a composite score based on the written questions (20 out of 100 points), oral interview (80 out of 100 points), and any applicable military points (3 points). Employment offers to enter an Austin Fire Department cadet academy will be made based on this composite score and the candidate’s ability to pass a series of assessments including medical, psychological, physical ability and responses to the teamwork and work behavior written questions."

So it looks like they didn't completely do away with the integrity/behavioral portion. The test is divided in two, the latter being "teamwork and work behaviors". Their verbiage is a little confusing. They state if you do good on the first part, you will be invited back. So are we only testing on mechanical reasoning, mathematical reasoning, spatial ability, verbal reasoning and memorization on Monday? also, according to their percentages, the written test is worth 1/5 and your oral interview is 4/5. Is anyone else reading this differently? I have tried to call them back, but keep getting a busy signal. Has anyone spoken to a recruiter since this new update?

Wow...80/100 on Oral?!

Forum Member

This new update is absurd. Only 1/5 of the score is for the written test? I get they assume they can teach us what we don't know in the Academy, but I feel like setting the bar for a knowledge base so low is asking for trouble. Wonder if this change has anything to do with the Justice Department's suit? (I'm sure it does.)

Glad I've spent every waking minute studying my butt off for something that counts for so little. At least now I can enjoy my weekend, though!

Forum Member

It probably does. They want to lower the standards so they can have more control over who gets hired through the oral boards.
    Also did anyone notice they are having CPAT training for "small stature" applicants only? Seems a bit discriminatory against larger applicants. They should offer something for the rest of us.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by longhorn2008 View Post

So does anyone else take this to mean that there will no longer be any "algebra, division, multiplication, etc..." that was originally listed on the AFD website? Are we to assume that the only mathematics on the test will have to do with mathematical reasoning??

I ask because math is my weakest subject, so trying to figure out what to focus on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Matt View Post
    It probably does. They want to lower the standards so they can have more control over who gets hired through the oral boards.
    Also did anyone notice they are having CPAT training for "small stature" applicants only? Seems a bit discriminatory against larger applicants. They should offer something for the rest of us.
    I've been to the trainings and they're for everyone who wants to be there. Did you go to one this week and hear about the "small stature" ones or something?

Forum Member

I've been to the trainings and they're for everyone who wants to be there. Did you go to one this week and hear about the "small stature" ones or something?
    He is referring to this:

http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def..._Firepower.pdf

Forum Member

Mr.Matt...please be quiet...you're coming off as a racist individual...let me guess...when I make it and you don't, will it be because I had what it takes? Or because I'm a young African American?...please do explain.

Forum Member

Mr.Matt...please be quiet...you're coming off as a racist individual...let me guess...when I make it and you don't, will it be because I had what it takes? Or because I'm a young African American?...please do explain.
    That depends on if your scores are better than mine or not. All I know is I have talked to current fire fighters and Austin has a past of doing anything possible, ethical or not, to get the demographics they want.
    Also, I said nothing about race in my post. I stated more control and talked about small stature. I would feel the exact same way if they were doing this to make it easier for white men.
    Race and sex should not be a consideration, I want whomever is most qualified for the position so I can feel secure in the fact that they have the ability to do the job and have my back in a fire.

Forum Member

That depends on if your scores are better than mine or not. All I know is I have talked to current fire fighters and Austin has a past of doing anything possible, ethical or not, to get the demographics they want.
    Also, I said nothing about race in my post. I stated more control and talked about small stature. I would feel the exact same way if they were doing this to make it easier for white men.
    Race and sex should not be a consideration, I want whomever is most qualified for the position so I can feel secure in the fact that they have the ability to do the job and have my back in a fire.
    lol ok bud. I guess we shall see.

Thread Information