Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    I got an email about Project Firepower today. No mention of it being specifically for small stature people ONLY, but it did have this: Training sessions will be limited to no more than 50 candidates each. If more than 50 attendees show-up, the exercise physiologists at the University of Texas will determine which candidates have the greatest need of assistance.

Anyway, if you're really concerned about falling short, find the info on the website and email them. If you don't email and then complain later about not being allowed to do it, I'll give you a noogie.
    At which firehouse is it located?
    Last edited by Dame803; 05-24-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dame803 View Post
    At which firehouse is it located?
    They'll give you all the info, but it's done by the UT School of Kinesiology and held on campus. This upcoming week is the last chance to try your hand at the CPAT training, including a test run on the stairmill with the 75 lb vest.

Forum Member

I just hope they allow me enough time to take off from my current job.

Forum Member

They'll give you all the info, but it's done by the UT School of Kinesiology and held on campus. This upcoming week is the last chance to try your hand at the CPAT training, including a test run on the stairmill with the 75 lb vest.
    If it's where I think it is, then I'm really looking forward to this even more. The facilities are incredible. While I was at UT, I only went to Greg and the Rec. Luckily, I live in Hyde Park and work across from Campus. I'm hoping to make the 6am session. It's going to be an intense summer and well worth it. Can't wait to be back on campus pursuing another goal!!
    Last edited by Apollo85; 05-26-2013 at 01:35 AM.

Forum Member

Saw this online about the written test.

http://www.statesman.com/photo/news/...-051313/pr52K/

Forum Member

Wow 70 to 80? That's a lot less than the 120 I thought or the 200 Dame said he was told.

Forum Member

Whoa that is a lot less! They told me way more!....well that sucks!

Forum Member

That's the information I got online, but who knows. They may take more. Hopefully that will increase our chances of continuing through the process.

Forum Member

I just noticed PFP is mandatory four days a week and if you miss two classes, you're out. Those requirements really suck for someone who has a day job and actually wants a chance to see their spouse every now and then. Guess I'm out. (Actually, I'm going to take a week of classes and then incorporate anything applicable to my training, but still.)

Forum Member

Anyone see this::::

2013 EMPLOYMENT PROCESS

The 2013 Application Period Has Closed. See Below For Details.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: The “Written Exam Information Sheet” posted below and the “Post Written Exam Notice” that was distributed during exam registration both indicate that results from the written exam will be posted on May 24, 2013. AFD recently learned that, prior to posting the written results, the information will undergo an additional review by the U.S. Department of Justice. This is a new step in the process and it is uncertain how long it will take to conduct that review, or what the results will be.

IT IS UNLIKELY THAT THE RESULTS OF THE WRITTEN EXAM WILL BE POSTED BEFORE EARLY JUNE, OR POSSIBLY LATER. We will provide a better estimate of the time and date for posting as we learn more. Check this website for updates.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this change.

Updated 5/23/2013

The next step in the hiring process is an oral interview in which candidates will respond verbally to specific fact situations. Candidates who complete both the written questions and the oral interview will receive a composite score based on the written questions (20 out of 100 points), oral interview (80 out of 100 points), and any applicable military points (3 points). Employment offers to enter an Austin Fire Department cadet academy will be made based on this composite score and the candidate’s ability to pass a series of assessments including medical, psychological, physical ability and responses to the teamwork and work behavior written questions.

Forum Member

I just noticed PFP is mandatory four days a week and if you miss two classes, you're out. Those requirements really suck for someone who has a day job and actually wants a chance to see their spouse every now and then. Guess I'm out. (Actually, I'm going to take a week of classes and then incorporate anything applicable to my training, but still.)
    What's PFP?

Forum Member

I think it stands for project fire power.

Forum Member

appears only mandatory if you want to attend the class

http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def..._Firepower.pdf

so train on your own, or find other cpat training

Forum Member

Anybody heard any rumors?

Forum Member

Haven't heard anything but I'm hoping we get the results by next Friday!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    Anybody heard any rumors?
    IT IS UNLIKELY THAT THE RESULTS OF THE WRITTEN EXAM WILL BE POSTED BEFORE EARLY JUNE, OR POSSIBLY LATER. We will provide a better estimate of the time and date for posting as we learn more. Check this website for updates.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this change.

Updated 5/23/2013

The next step in the hiring process is an oral interview in which candidates will respond verbally to specific fact situations. Candidates who complete both the written questions and the oral interview will receive a composite score based on the written questions (20 out of 100 points), oral interview (80 out of 100 points), and any applicable military points (3 points). Employment offers to enter an Austin Fire Department cadet academy will be made based on this composite score and the candidate’s ability to pass a series of assessments including medical, psychological, physical ability and responses to the teamwork and work behavior written questions.

http://www.austintexas.gov/departmen...ent-applicants

Forum Member

Fire49 that's not a rumor. I read that on the 23. I was wondering if anybody heard anything about the new date.

Forum Member

For the first time since spring, I'm not getting twice weekly calls from recruiters to see if I have an questions, need any help, etc. Sure would be nice to hear from one so I could try to get some info, but I hope to ask the woman who works at HQ if she's heard anything when we're in CPAT training on Friday.

Forum Member

How come no recruiters ever called me?? I only got the automated phone calls..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brockrocks View Post
    Don't be too upset Brock. I only received automated phone calls also. Male vs female? Idk, I'm just saying...

Forum Member

Haha, yea man same here. Don't let it bother you bud.

Forum Member

I received about 6 or 7 phone calls half were automated and the other half were actual people; and I'm a male.

Forum Member

Man, they just posted http://vimeo.com/67266628

Talk about wanting to get in even more!
    aliciaaaaah and c_topher like this.

Forum Member

Recent news article about the AFD test.

http://www.kvue.com/news/Austin-Fire...204510321.html

Forum Member

I got about 7 or 8 calls, and I say maybe 4 or 5 were an actual person.

Thread Information