Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    Hiring 75. Usually they move about double the hiring total to the next step to account for the people who'll fail.
    The AFD employee I talked to yesterday said they plan on bringing in two classes of 50. They're just waiting to finalize everything.
    aliciaaaaah likes this.

Forum Member

Well good luck to you guys. seems like this is the only thread on the web for the hiring process 2013. ive been following it for the last few weeks but never posted. Hopefully the scores will come out before august.

Forum Member

Question: Anybody want to take a guess at the number of people who interviewed?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSplinter View Post
    Question: Anybody want to take a guess at the number of people who interviewed?
    thought someone said around 2000 in an earlier post

Forum Member

counting the interview scheduled online , roughly 3,000. But im sure tons didnt even show up.

Forum Member

My group yesterday had a guy walk out in the orientation after getting a negative to his (rudely stated) question of "Will I get to speak to a human being at any point in this interview?"

Another one bites the dust. Don't know how he missed all the announcements along the way that it was a video interview.

Forum Member

My group yesterday had a guy walk out in the orientation after getting a negative to his (rudely stated) question of "Will I get to speak to a human being at any point in this interview?"

Another one bites the dust. Don't know how he missed all the announcements along the way that it was a video interview.
    Don't forget he threw his number on stage before he stormed out.

Forum Member

Lost a high quality candidate !!!!!

Forum Member

Yeah I heard about that guy lol ...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    Don't forget he threw his number on stage before he stormed out.
    Haha, what?? I was sitting towards the back behind a tall guy so I didn't get to see that. What a delight he would've been as a classmate in the academy!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Lost a high quality candidate !!!!!
    Speaking of high quality candidates, I had a few show up in my group t-shirts and jeans...really. Shirt wasn't even tucked in!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by longhorn2008 View Post
    Speaking of high quality candidates, I had a few show up in my group t-shirts and jeans...really. Shirt wasn't even tucked in!
    What do they expect when they have a cattle call.

Forum Member

That sounds awful. There's got to be a better way

Forum Member

A firefighter I was talking to said there were 2,018 that interviewed. I heard about the dude walking out after asking about talking to a human, and I cringed at the guy who walked in wearing jeans and a white t-shirt. I saw another person wearing cargo shorts and a polo. Even the guys who didn't wear ties kind of weeded themselves out

Also @ aliciaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I did the practice CPAT @ pfp during the Friday afternoon class. I give credit to Dan for motivating the hell out of me, he def know how to push people. Felt good, didn't have the worst time, but made it well under 10:30.
    Last edited by Apollo85; 07-20-2013 at 08:37 PM.
    aliciaaaaah likes this.

Forum Member

Yeah I was shocked at some of the outfits. A lot of people not clean shaven, wearing jeans, boots, tennis shoes, polos and messy hair. Overall, i thought the process, although long, was fairly well planned. Seemed like they had their act together. The paper said the next few weeks so i'm hoping maybe mid august at the latest.

Any ideas is they'll be accommodating to out of town applicants and make everything in one shot? (medical, psych, etc) Also, heard that they were NOT accepting CPAT certs from out of state. Any truth to that?

Forum Member

Wanted to share this article from the Statesman. It's behind their paywall and I had to really work to find a friend who is actually willing to pay for that because our newspaper sucks. Article's a little scary, to be honest.

Minority hiring played role in breakdown of firefighter talks

Disputes that caused labor contract negotiations between the city and Austin firefighters to collapse Thursday were shaped in part by a federal investigation into whether the Austin Fire Department discriminates against minorities.

City officials said they wanted the authority to change how they hire firefighters before negotiating their next contract with the union so that they would have the flexibility to comply with any directives from the U.S. Department of Justice, which is looking into allegations that the department discriminates against Hispanics and African-Americans.

“If they come down and tell us this is the way we have to do it, we needed the ability in the contract to allow for that,” said Deven Desai, the city’s chief labor relations officer.
    But Austin Firefighters Association President Bob Nicks said the union couldn’t give the city carte blanche, fearing officials would weaken the department’s hiring standards in hopes of adding more minority uniformed personnel.

The city in April received a letter from an assistant attorney general for the Justice Department’s civil rights division announcing a full investigation into whether the Fire Department is engaged in “a pattern or practice of discrimination against Hispanics and African Americans with respect to employment opportunities in sworn positions” in violation of federal law.

Austin Deputy City Manager Mike McDonald said in a statement that month that he was disappointed by the allegation and that the city “maintains a strong, consistent commitment to equal opportunities in all of its employment practices.”

The city has struggled with staffing the department in a way that reflects city demographics for years, and in 2008, Austin firefighters overwhelmingly rejected a proposed labor contract with the city that would have given them pay raises and increased pension contributions while giving the department the leeway to hire more minorities.

Nicks then led a campaign against the agreement the union was negotiating with city officials, saying a proposed provision to let the city develop a hiring process that deviated from any current contract restrictions or civil service laws would lower hiring and training standards.

City and union officials returned to negotiations nine months after firefighters rejected the proposed contract that November and established a hiring process for new cadets in an agreement that expires Sept. 30.

On Friday, both sides said there are no plans to immediately return to negotiations.

Nicks said he hopes to eventually reach an agreement with the city but couldn’t support giving administrators unfettered control of the hiring process, a proposal he said was presented as an ultimatum.

“We’re being extorted by the assistant city manager,” he said.

The impasse won’t jeopardize the current class of cadets — nor will it affect the Fire Department’s quality of service or public safety, city officials stressed — but the fate of candidates in the middle of applying to become firefighters is unclear.

Nicks said that without a contract, the city lacks the legal ground to take on new cadets using the hiring process in place now.

Desai said city attorneys are analyzing the contract and exploring the department’s options.

In the meantime, the department is proceeding with the hiring process as planned, a fire official said, by evaluating the oral interviews in which more than 2,000 candidates participated this week.

Forum Member

This article is bad news!

Forum Member

hmmmm, I wonder where this is going....

Forum Member

Those Military points are gonna help me out a lot!!!

http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...ated1-8-13.pdf

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dame803 View Post
    Those Military points are gonna help me out a lot!!!

http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...ated1-8-13.pdf
    Who raw!!!!!

Forum Member

but the fate of candidates in the middle of applying to become firefighters is unclear.

It's leading no where . This is redic

Forum Member

Talked about that article with a firefighter who was at PFP last night. She said there have been a few times in the past when the city/union never came to an agreement and the whole hiring was scrapped. Sounds like stuff is still happening behind the scenes even though they technically met their deadline, so I'm not giving up hope.

Forum Member

Did everyone get the email asking you to complete a survey about the AFD hiring process?

Forum Member

Did everyone get the email asking you to complete a survey about the AFD hiring process?
    I just completed it. My feedback to them is to only advance the top 300-500 from the exam to the SOI.

Forum Member

I did. My feedback was to make the process a little more transparent.

Thread Information