Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

I feel like they babied us through the whole process. Seriously, I felt so pampered with the snacks/vendors, phone calls and the fact that they literally gave us the answers/ responses they were looking for (on the PFD and right before the interview!!!!!). I mean...seriously ..wow. I've taken over a dozen tests and this is the first time where I felt like I wasn't just a number/replaceable. Like they really care about the candidates well-being. That says a lot.
    Last edited by STACEFIVE; 07-23-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Forum Member

...and also...their outreach efforts. The fact that they give/gave us these outlets/resources to find out more about the test, the interview and the cpat. Also, I've never seen so many females applying for a department. It seemed every 10th person was a female. To me, that's impressive.
    aliciaaaaah likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by STACEFIVE View Post
    I feel like they babied us through the whole process. Seriously, I felt so pampered with the snacks/vendors, phone calls and the fact that they literally gave us the answers/ responses they were looking for (on the PFD and right before the interview!!!!!). I mean...seriously ..wow. I've taken over a dozen tests and this is the first time where I felt like I wasn't just a number/replaceable. Like they really care about the candidates well-being. That says a lot.

Wait..let me get this straight. Recruiting gave you answers or "pointed you in the right direction" for the oral interview in order to have more females ranked high on the final list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF07 View Post
    Wait..let me get this straight. Recruiting gave you answers or "pointed you in the right direction" for the oral interview in order to have more females ranked high on the final list?
    (((((on the PFD and right before the interview!!!!!))))) No, recruiting did not...the PDF on the website basically told us what was going to be asked in the interview and the video right before the interview gave us exactly what they were looking for.

Let me brake it down:
    1. Austin put a lot of effort into outreach. They recruited people from different backgrounds and made the testing process more accessible with all the outreach by giving info about the department and the hiring process. They have the best recruiting outcome I've ever seen from a department. Lots of people from different walks of life.

2. The outlets/resources: Youtube videos, Question and answer sessions. Physical training sessions. The PDF's and the outline on their website...etc...etc. The list goes on.

3. "Recruiting gave you answers or "pointed you in the right direction" for the oral interview in order to have more females ranked high on the final list?" You completely cherry picked from my post to come to that conclusion and missed the point I was trying to make... but to address your question regardless of what my points really were: I believe, when looking at the bigger picture, more females will be ranked higher on the list..only for the mere fact that more females applied and it increases the ratio when there's more females competing against the males.

4. They babied us by giving us food vendors and basically giving us what they were looking for in the interview. Never in my five years of pursuing a career as a firefighter has any department ever broken down exactly how they will rate us...to the point of giving us exactly what they are looking for. They call us/email us to remind us of our interviews/testing..etc. Most of the info we need can be simply found on their site. The survey to better themselves to make the process smoother for us.
    Last edited by STACEFIVE; 07-23-2013 at 11:56 PM.

Forum Member

I guess I must have missed the point where they gave answers to what was going to be asked.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    I guess I must have missed the point where they gave answers to what was going to be asked.
    That's a shame.

Forum Member

Situational awareness can be a firefighters best friend.
    Last edited by STACEFIVE; 07-24-2013 at 12:06 AM.

Forum Member

When the answers were leaked a couple of years ago they made everybody redo the interview, so why would you state that you were given answers to what was going to be asked? Why wouldn't you keep that information to yourself?

Forum Member

They told us what they were looking for in the video. That's a not a huge secret. Over 2,000 candidates watched that video. Everyone had access to that PDF. Badabingbadaboom. Thank you and goodnight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    When the answers were leaked a couple of years ago they made everybody redo the interview, so why would you state that you were given answers to what was going to be asked? Why wouldn't you keep that information to yourself?
    This is irrelevant when everyone had access to the same info. The problem with before was that there was an unfair advantage and that was cheating. The information I referred to is public.

Forum Member

Is nobody reading my posts? I broke it down with the main points. They told us what they were looking for ...again..in the PDF and in the video.

Forum Member

By "literally giving us the answers" would be considered given an unfair advantage. Why can't you understand this would mean you've been given an unfair advantage over your male counter part?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSplinter View Post
    By "literally giving us the answers" would be considered given an unfair advantage. Why can't you understand this would mean you've been given an unfair advantage over your male counter part?
    I think you are misunderstanding my post. Or, I'm not understanding yours.
    "Why can't you understand this would mean you've been given an unfair advantage over your male counter part?" How has what I've typed so far given females an unfair advantage over their male counter-part? I think you have skipped over some of my posts following the posts of others.

Again, let me break down what I have typed...even further.
    Points being:
    The resources/info they have baby-fed us with the PDF, videos...etc...etc have made the hiring process amazingly accessible to people of all backgrounds. That means all of you....and I. With all their outreach efforts for this candidate pool, and the increased level of female applicants it is safe to assume that the more female applicants the more chance there will be for more females to score on the top.

EX: The if there were a bucket of just oranges...the chances of picking an orange is %100. When one throws in some apples..the chances of picking an orange is lowered.

No where did I state that females were given an advantage.

That aside...AGAIN, PDF and online resources which was available to ALL candidates and the video told us what they were looking for. I'm not sure if I can break this down even further.

Forum Member

*were available to all

Forum Member

Y'all must not have been paying attention in the video orientation before the interview if you didn't walk into that room knowing exactly what they wanted you to say. The woman even gave the main points they were looking for. And as for the leaked questions from two years ago, they may have changed the process since then but you still should've been using those as a guideline. Just because the process changed doesn't mean they aren't still looking for people who understand the importance of safety, teamwork, and learning.
    STACEFIVE likes this.

Forum Member

Simmer down guys lol
    STACEFIVE likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Recio30 View Post
    Simmer down guys lol
    Lol Da fudge is going on here?

Forum Member

Lol arrogance...pure arrogance

Forum Member

By the way it's "BREAK it down" not "BRAKE it down"people might actually take you more seriously if you can actually use the right word when you come in with that **** ***** attitude Hooah?!

Forum Member

"Cocky arse attitude"

Quote Originally Posted by Dame803 View Post
    By the way it's "BREAK it down" not "BRAKE it down"people might actually take you more seriously if you can actually use the right word when you come in with that **** ***** attitude Hooah?!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dame803 View Post
    "Cocky arse attitude"
    Minor spelling mistake. Not a big deal.

Forum Member

And no personal attacks please.

Forum Member

While we're on the subject of spelling...It's PDF, not PFD. I'm just saying...

Forum Member

I don't understand how that would be considered arrogance when I considered that there must be a misunderstanding and my main objective was to clarify my point. Again, I also don't understand resorting to personal attacks and name calling. I digress. Good luck to you all.

Forum Member

I think you are misunderstanding my post. Or, I'm not understanding yours.
    "Why can't you understand this would mean you've been given an unfair advantage over your male counter part?" How has what I've typed so far given females an unfair advantage over their male counter-part? I think you have skipped over some of my posts following the posts of others.

Again, let me break down what I have typed...even further.
    Points being:
    The resources/info they have baby-fed us with the PDF, videos...etc...etc have made the hiring process amazingly accessible to people of all backgrounds. That means all of you....and I. With all their outreach efforts for this candidate pool, and the increased level of female applicants it is safe to assume that the more female applicants the more chance there will be for more females to score on the top.

EX: The if there were a bucket of just oranges...the chances of picking an orange is %100. When one throws in some apples..the chances of picking an orange is lowered.

No where did I state that females were given an advantage.

That aside...AGAIN, PDF and online resources which was available to ALL candidates and the video told us what they were looking for. I'm not sure if I can break this down even further.
    Btw, thanks for the lesson in probability...

Thread Information