Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree Austin is a great city (coming from a Country Mouse) and a great FD. This ole fella missed the age deadline by 6 months..... And I'm OK with it since the last time I tested was a total waste of some hard-earned money.

Good luck to those that move through their process.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Lol mikeyboy why was it a waste of time and money

MembersZone Subscriber

Spent a week out there (time) away from the family staying at my in-laws townhouse, rented a car ($), plane ticket ($), missed 3 days of OT ($), paid for parking ($), took the test (time), did some Station Visits (time) and then didn't get past the written. Honestly, I'm glad I didn't move on because when I go into a new FD I prefer it to be under good/non-drama circumstances. Seeing what happened with the testing made me upset, disappointed and relieved all at the same time.

I would never discourage anybody from testing there. It must be that I'm supposed to make my money here and then retire in Texas I reckon.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Lol I hear ya mikey

DMW
    Forum Member

Thanks FFighterRob, for the encouragement. I took the Ft. Worth test last year. It was my first time testing and I was shocked that there were guys there 5' 2" tall, weighing 300 pounds taking the test. I made a 96 on my test, but the first round cut offs scores were 98 so I didn't make the cut. However, I have learned a lot and feel confident this time around.

I am however a little apprehensive about my experience level, and anyone with wisdom in on the subject feel free to shed some light. I don't have an fire experience or EMT. I know that it isn't required, but I can't help but think that it might hurt me in the long run. I have plenty of volunteering experience, just not as a Fireman. Can this hurt my chances of getting in?

Forum Member

Fly in from Los Angeles to take this test, I hope it's worth it based on what I've read so far on this forum.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DMW View Post
    Thanks FFighterRob, for the encouragement. I took the Ft. Worth test last year. It was my first time testing and I was shocked that there were guys there 5' 2" tall, weighing 300 pounds taking the test. I made a 96 on my test, but the first round cut offs scores were 98 so I didn't make the cut. However, I have learned a lot and feel confident this time around.

I am however a little apprehensive about my experience level, and anyone with wisdom in on the subject feel free to shed some light. I don't have an fire experience or EMT. I know that it isn't required, but I can't help but think that it might hurt me in the long run. I have plenty of volunteering experience, just not as a Fireman. Can this hurt my chances of getting in?
    There are very few departments in the US that are more receptive to people with little or no experience than Austin. They are looking at the person, not the resume.
    But that being said, you can get hired with most departments with little or no experience, you just have to present yourself in the proper light. If we don’t require any experience or credentials to apply, we are going to put the newly hired people through a full academy. Coming with nothing means you will be a blank slate and only have learned to do things our way, the right way.
    Don’t get me wrong, it would be better to have experience and accreditations, but you can still make it without.
    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com

DMW
    Forum Member

Well, that boosts my confidence. I do think that I am the right type of person and hope that I can show that. I spent some time doing humanitarian work overseas and was on a team of 7. We where around each 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. I really liked that atmosphere, and the being able to serve a community. So I am hoping that comes through if I make to Board Questions. If you have any pointers feel free to share! I'm soaking in all the info I can get.

Forum Member

DMW: You have to be confident through this process. Confident, not arrogant. And you have to be VERY humble.

I have been at this for about 2 years and I have come VERY close to getting offers, but I have fallen short at the last step or been just past the cutoff. I have no experience as a firefighter, but like you I have life experience. I know I will get hired when the timing is right and it will be with a career department that I can see myself working for 30+ years.

Hang in there. Catch the firefighting bug, and dont ever give up!

Forum Member

Roll Call: Who is taking the Austin test next week?

I'll be there. I'm driving up from San Antonio for the day, so its not too far for me. I'm not in any processes right now, so it will feel good to be going again with a department through the hiring process.

Forum Member

Hello brock, I'll be taking the test for Austin as well. Can't wait to get it done! Sucks we have to wait til June 8th to get the scores. Did u take Austin's test last year too?

Forum Member

Word is that this test is going to be very short, I.E. not many questions, not much chance to separate yourself from the mob.

This as a great example of a situation where two things are going to come into play. First you need to have the ability to speak to your audience; you would answer a question differently to a 25-30 years on chief, than you would to a high school teacher or a member of the public.

Second, there is no time where doing mock interviews are more important. There is only one way to get really good at responding to questions in an oral interview. That is by answering questions in an oral interview. Having people ask you questions across a table while they stare at you, having them critique you honestly and harshly, this the best way to hone your interview skills.

Having so much depend on every little thing you say should make you want to be sure all of it is pure gold. I have done this job over 20 years and I have never gone to a medical call or fire where there was an oral board interview on the front porch I have to complete before I did my job. Hiring and promotion are the only times this will ever come up. But if you canít get good at it, you will never get a chance.

Please donít fall into the thinking that the person that talks the most, crams the most into each question, is going to get the best score. Intelligent people can take complicated situations and make them simple. Just because they tell you that you have 5 minutes to answer a question, doesnít mean you have to, or should talk for five minutes.

Two guys were asked the same question and shown the same picture of a fire in a promotion interview. One guy called a second alarm, set up divisions and groups, did a lot of talking on the radio and got lots of feedback from all of the crews. In 5 minutes the fire was out. The next guy looked at the same picture and said, ďIíve been to this same fire a lot, Iíll set up a two out crew and I can put that fire out with one 1 ĺĒ. The fire was out in less than one minute. Think of which sounded like they were more in control and better suited for the job.
    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gtcaptain2 View Post
    Hello brock, I'll be taking the test for Austin as well. Can't wait to get it done! Sucks we have to wait til June 8th to get the scores. Did u take Austin's test last year too?
    Yes I did, but I did not proceed forward to the interview. I am more prepared this time, so hopefully I will do much better.

Forum Member

Last edited by oakleyfire144; 11-22-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Forum Member

Hey Oakley sorry to hear u scored that high and still did not make it. Look at it this way if u have the same score this go round u will make it since they are hiring more this time. Sent u a pm

Forum Member

Does anyone know if you should answer strongly agree or just agree on this test? I keep hearing both things.

Forum Member

Hope you gentleman are enjoying this concrete.

Forum Member

Not really its pretty damn hard!!$. That concession line is Redic!!$

Forum Member

Now the waiting game. I guess 2 more weeks isn't too bad though

Forum Member

5 more days. The wait is brutal

Forum Member

Yes, I agree! I sure hope I at least get an interview this time around. I know I nailed the cognitive section, but those behavioral questions always make me second guess myself.

Forum Member

Yes those questions were pretty tricky! The cognitive wasnt bad at all. So we shall see. Friday is the day

Forum Member

So it looks like only 2679 people sat for the test:

http://afdsnewsyoucanuse.blogspot.co...ance-exam.html

5 p.m. can't come any faster! Best of luck to everyone!

Forum Member

2 more hours!!!! Come on 5 O'Clock.
    FireMuscleMan21 likes this.

Forum Member

Results are posted

Thread Information