Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

On September 26, 2013, the City of Austin received a letter from the U.S. Department of Justice directing the City to modify the current 2013 hiring process in order to address an unintended disadvantage to African American and Hispanic candidates.

Once we have determined how the modified hiring process will work, we will notify all active candidates and provide an explanation of the process and direction on your next steps. In the meantime, no further action is required on your part. All 2013 cadet candidates who completed both exams will remain active candidates in the current hiring process.

We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause. We will continue to update you via this website on the status of the hiring process, and appreciate your continued interest in becoming an Austin firefighter. If you have specific questions that are not addressed in this message, please email firerecruiting@austintexas.gov.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    On September 26, 2013, the City of Austin received a letter from the U.S. Department of Justice directing the City to modify the current 2013 hiring process in order to address an unintended disadvantage to African American and Hispanic candidates.

Once we have determined how the modified hiring process will work, we will notify all active candidates and provide an explanation of the process and direction on your next steps. In the meantime, no further action is required on your part. All 2013 cadet candidates who completed both exams will remain active candidates in the current hiring process.

We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause. We will continue to update you via this website on the status of the hiring process, and appreciate your continued interest in becoming an Austin firefighter. If you have specific questions that are not addressed in this message, please email firerecruiting@austintexas.gov.
    Sounds to me like we'll all retest in the near future. What do you'll think?

Forum Member

No somehow they will push forward

Hay it is Texas maybe they will do a lottery drawing, throw all the names into a ten gallon hat and pull out the winners

Forum Member

Last week FOX 7 told you about the failing grade the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission gave the Austin Fire Department for how it selected its cadets last year.Well now the Department of Justice is saying the City's current hiring process for 2013 is no better when it comes to discrimination.In a letter to the City of Austin this week from the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice, the Feds say they've determined "the city is engaged in a pattern or practice of discrimination against African Americans and Hispanics."In response, Fire Chief Rhoda Mae Kerr issued a statement referring to the discrimination as "unintended."Kerr said "I will continue to work with the City Law Department and the Department of Justice with regard to the hiring practices of the Austin Fire Department.'City Manager Marc Ott also issued a statement saying "We appreciate the Justice Department's attention to this matter and the acknowledgement of our cooperation during the investigation. We have been unable to find a solution on our own and that is unfortunate.""This is how I interpret that. You've got all these opposing parties who work for the same department. You've got city management, you've got the regular union, you've got the black unions, you've got a fire chief. And none of these folks for the most part have combined their efforts and said 'Look, let's get this done. Let's get away from thinking about dumbing down the process or affirmative action. Let's talk about how to make this a fair process and let's agree not to sue each other but to get the right outcome. But nobody will say that," said Nelson Linder with the Austin Chapter of the NAACP.Linder says the discrimination at the fire department has been a problem for a long time.He has spoken with minorities who are currently firefighters and those who didn't make the cut."When I talk to black folks who have taken this exam, they don't say specifics. They are surprised that they failed it. And these are very intelligent people. That's why I think obviously, it's a process and the way the whole test is structured. I think they're giving too much credit to things that people are not familiar with," Linder said.Currently whites make up 79 percent of the department. African Americans make up 4 percent and Hispanics, 15 percent.Gavino Fernandez with LULAC says if the city can't solve this, they need to look around."This is one where we need to go back to the drawing board and reassess with a different test. We have large communities throughout the country where there are heavy minority communities that have fire departments. Maybe we need to look at the tests that they apply or they use. For example, San Antonio, Laredo, all those large communities that have large Latino populations," Fernandez said.The Department of Justice letter says the United States will file its complaint in late October.The DOJ is hoping the city will adopt and implement new employment practices that don't violate the Civil Rights Act of 1964 -- as well as provide relief to African American and Hispanic applicants who were harmed by their hiring practices.

Forum Member

How about Native Americans , they should be first to be hired!!!

Evidence of prehistoric human habitation of the Balcones Escarpment region of Texas can be traced to at least 11,000 years ago. Two of the oldest Paleolithic archeological sites in Texas, the Levi Rock Shelter and Smith Rock Shelter, are located southwest and southeast of present-day Austin respectively.[4] Several hundred years before the arrival of European settlers, the area was inhabited by a variety of nomadic Native American tribes. These indigenous peoples fished and hunted along the creeks, including present-day Barton Springs,[5] which proved to be a reliable campsite.[6] At the time of the first permanent settlement of the area, the Tonkawa tribe was the most common, with the Comanches and Lipan Apaches also frequenting the area.[7]

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSplinter View Post
    Last week FOX 7 told you about the failing grade the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission gave the Austin Fire Department for how it selected its cadets last year.Well now the Department of Justice is saying the City's current hiring process for 2013 is no better when it comes to discrimination.In a letter to the City of Austin this week from the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice, the Feds say they've determined "the city is engaged in a pattern or practice of discrimination against African Americans and Hispanics."In response, Fire Chief Rhoda Mae Kerr issued a statement referring to the discrimination as "unintended."Kerr said "I will continue to work with the City Law Department and the Department of Justice with regard to the hiring practices of the Austin Fire Department.'City Manager Marc Ott also issued a statement saying "We appreciate the Justice Department's attention to this matter and the acknowledgement of our cooperation during the investigation. We have been unable to find a solution on our own and that is unfortunate.""This is how I interpret that. You've got all these opposing parties who work for the same department. You've got city management, you've got the regular union, you've got the black unions, you've got a fire chief. And none of these folks for the most part have combined their efforts and said 'Look, let's get this done. Let's get away from thinking about dumbing down the process or affirmative action. Let's talk about how to make this a fair process and let's agree not to sue each other but to get the right outcome. But nobody will say that," said Nelson Linder with the Austin Chapter of the NAACP.Linder says the discrimination at the fire department has been a problem for a long time.He has spoken with minorities who are currently firefighters and those who didn't make the cut."When I talk to black folks who have taken this exam, they don't say specifics. They are surprised that they failed it. And these are very intelligent people. That's why I think obviously, it's a process and the way the whole test is structured. I think they're giving too much credit to things that people are not familiar with," Linder said.Currently whites make up 79 percent of the department. African Americans make up 4 percent and Hispanics, 15 percent.Gavino Fernandez with LULAC says if the city can't solve this, they need to look around."This is one where we need to go back to the drawing board and reassess with a different test. We have large communities throughout the country where there are heavy minority communities that have fire departments. Maybe we need to look at the tests that they apply or they use. For example, San Antonio, Laredo, all those large communities that have large Latino populations," Fernandez said.The Department of Justice letter says the United States will file its complaint in late October.The DOJ is hoping the city will adopt and implement new employment practices that don't violate the Civil Rights Act of 1964 -- as well as provide relief to African American and Hispanic applicants who were harmed by their hiring practices.
    Solutions??
    1. Hire certified people only

2. Have a lottery

3. No written test, and do interviews like on the voice, where you do not see the person

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    How about Native Americans , they should be first to be hired!!!

Evidence of prehistoric human habitation of the Balcones Escarpment region of Texas can be traced to at least 11,000 years ago. Two of the oldest Paleolithic archeological sites in Texas, the Levi Rock Shelter and Smith Rock Shelter, are located southwest and southeast of present-day Austin respectively.[4] Several hundred years before the arrival of European settlers, the area was inhabited by a variety of nomadic Native American tribes. These indigenous peoples fished and hunted along the creeks, including present-day Barton Springs,[5] which proved to be a reliable campsite.[6] At the time of the first permanent settlement of the area, the Tonkawa tribe was the most common, with the Comanches and Lipan Apaches also frequenting the area.[7]
    Enough with the stupid, nonsense comments.
    aliciaaaaah likes this.

Forum Member

Well austin and doj wants a diversified dept

Forum Member

check page 40, SA does not have much of a better record

http://www.sanantonio.gov/safd/PDFs/...ge=1&view=fitV

Frank-Gifford
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    Am I the only that believes this years process will be canceled? I also believe they won't let us know until the end of the month.
    Self deleted.
    Last edited by Matty_Bev; 11-25-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Forum Member

I haven't heard a thing anywhere about whether or not the city and the union came to an agreement in time. You'd think someone would've said something one way or the other, right?

Forum Member

It seems like they haven't had a smooth hiring process in a long time, in my opinion that's a little disheartening, but it worked out for the good for me Fort Worth is an awesome department and in the long run I would rather be here. Good Luck to y'all with getting on believe me in the end all the stress and time it takes to get on is worth it where ever you end up.

Forum Member

Talked to a firefighter today. No deal between city and union and they're under civil service rules now, so whatever list they're working on with DOJ is invalid anyway.

See you all next year.

Link to AFA response: http://www.iafflocal975.org/index.cfm?section=1

Forum Member

Seems like there should be some action soon either with the contract or doj

Guess should have read the fine print;;;

RECRUITING PROSPECTIVE APPLICANTS

Welcome to the City of Austin Fire Department’s Recruiting Section. The process of becoming a firefighter is challenging, .........

Forum Member

So its done? Officially? So I shouldnt get my hopes up or check this page often for updates?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neonshoes View Post
    So its done? Officially? So I shouldnt get my hopes up or check this page often for updates?
    No update yet. We will get an email when they decide to share the outcome with applicants. It will also be posted on the website. I believe the holdup for them is trying to figure out how to provide "relief" to the 2012 African Americans and Hispanics applicants as well how to modify the 2013 scores to compensate for the unintended discrimination found in this year’s process. I really want this career, so I won’t stop monitoring this forum or their website until a resolution is provided.

Forum Member

Haha yes I do too! I mean I didnt get the military points, but being on that top page of the written exam was pretty uplifting and promising. I guess Ill just keep focusing on school. Are any of yall still going to go to school if offered this position? Is it even possible?

Forum Member

Longhorn2008,
    Have you ever applied with San Antonio FD? If so, what is your opinion on their hiring process? Any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated.

Forum Member

Longhorn2008,
    Have you ever applied with San Antonio FD? If so, what is your opinion on their hiring process? Any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated.
    I'm not Longhorn2008...actually just the opposite haha Aggie2008, but I am in the SAFD process. I'm a much bigger fan of their process than Austin's. I have done Austin's 3 times now and every single time they have run into some sort of problem much like this year. Even though everything does depend on how you do on the written, it's straight forward after that. It's a very long very stressful process, but from what I've seen and heard their department is amazing.

Forum Member

Longhorn2008,
    Yes,
    I have tested twice with SAFD (2011 and 2012). I pulled out of the 2011 process because I injured my back. I was ranked in the 300s, so my chances of being selected were slim to none. For the 2012 process, my rank is 129. I am currently waiting to hear back for a polygraph. In a nutshell, SAFD is way more streamline. Your rank is solely based off your test score. The different phases are straight forward. I also appreciate that you test for the CPAT early on. Another great thing is you actually get a person, not a machine when you call and have a question about the process. The biggest difference between the processes is SAFD has a polygraph and AFD has an interview. With what has happened with AFD the last few years, I would prefer to take a polygraph.

Forum Member

Thanks for the input TheHulk86 and longhorn2008. I'm already looking forward to applying with SAFD.

Forum Member

I could've sworn I read on here somewhere that SAFD wasn't starting another hiring process for a year or so?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    I could've sworn I read on here somewhere that SAFD wasn't starting another hiring process for a year or so?
    They are in the selection process now so more than likely summer of 2014

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t125110-8/ (San Antonio 2012)

Put in an interest card so you do not miss

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SAFD_..._Interest_Card

Did you miss Fort Worth?

http://fortworthtexas.gov/hr/info/default.aspx?id=5520

Forum Member

Update from the website:

Hiring Update (10/31/13)

The City of Austin continues to be in discussions with the U.S. Department of Justice concerning the 2013 cadet hiring process. We will update this website with information about that hiring process as new information becomes available. Applicants should continue to monitor this website for the latest news on the hiring process. Thanks for your continued interest and commitment to becoming a City of Austin firefighter.

Forum Member

Anyone else testing in Fort Worth?

Thread Information