Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

American Indian groups express concern about self-identification. Tribal recognition of status as an American Indian or Alaskan Native (Alaskan Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut) is a legal definition

http://m.whitehouse.gov/omb/fedreg_race-ethnicity

More than likely it is what it is being applied to, as far as what ethnicity can be claimed

Forum Member

At this point it seems obvious that no one was actually discriminated against in the 2013 process.

So, one wonders: What does the City Manager's Office stand to gain by continuously making these discrimination claims?

And you may say, "Well the DOJ makes these claims too..."
    I strongly believe someone at the CM's Office is colluding with someone at the DOJ.
    Just a theory.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kel V View Post
    At this point it seems obvious that no one was actually discriminated against in the 2013 process.

So, one wonders: What does the City Manager's Office stand to gain by continuously making these discrimination claims?

And you may say, "Well the DOJ makes these claims too..."
    I strongly believe someone at the CM's Office is colluding with someone at the DOJ.
    Just a theory.

Seems either they want to take over the entire hiring process

Or establish quotas

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Seems either they want to take over the entire hiring process

Or establish quotas
    Both are correct. Believe me, it is not the union or the members of the dept. holding up the process. The reason we (the union) are fighting this with the city manager and asst. city manager are if the consent decree goes through (do to their screw up mind you), anything we have to bargain with when it comes to contract time goes away. The city will not be giving us raises or many of the other things fought for in the past such as promotional processes. Stick with the process. This is a great dept. with tons of possibilities for your career if can stick it through.
    aliciaaaaah likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco146 View Post
    Both are correct. Believe me, it is not the union or the members of the dept. holding up the process. The reason we (the union) are fighting this with the city manager and asst. city manager are if the consent decree goes through (do to their screw up mind you), anything we have to bargain with when it comes to contract time goes away. The city will not be giving us raises or many of the other things fought for in the past such as promotional processes. Stick with the process. This is a great dept. with tons of possibilities for your career if can stick it through.
    have talked to a few Austin Fd, over the years and have not heard anything bad about the dept, and know someone on it, but have not seen him in awhile.

Just could old city politics with state politics thrown in, that messes up the stew.

Forum Member

Bronco, I've read stopping the consent decree would trigger a lawsuit from the DOJ. Is that what the union is pursuing in the weeks leading to the City Council meeting on 2/27?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter56 View Post
    Bronco, I've read stopping the consent decree would trigger a lawsuit from the DOJ. Is that what the union is pursuing in the weeks leading to the City Council meeting on 2/27?
    The city was trying to pass the consent decree last week without even consulting with the DOJ. The DOJ did not even know it was on the council agenda until they me with the union that day. When it was found out what was going on and that the cat was out of the bag, council pulled it. It sounds from what I have heard, what the union wnats and what the DOJ wants is very close together, we just don't want a consent decree due to it screwing up our future with bargaining rights. The whole problem stems from the city side of things and I think people are starting to realize that. The city will vote for any consent decree so I don't think the DOJ will have to sue, but it the union will more than likely take it to court if it comes to that.

Forum Member

The city was trying to pass the consent decree last week without even consulting with the DOJ. The DOJ did not even know it was on the council agenda until they me with the union that day. When it was found out what was going on and that the cat was out of the bag, council pulled it.
    Without even consulting the DOJ? It's well documented that they've consulted them since October via the City Attorney's office. It is good news though that they're consulting the union now, as it seems some evidence has been withheld by the city, i.e. the email that showed there was no discrimination in 2013.

It sounds from what I have heard, what the union wnats and what the DOJ wants is very close together, we just don't want a consent decree due to it screwing up our future with bargaining rights.
    In their letter to the City, DOJ indicated it would sue if some settlement was not made of claims by a consent decree. I suspect that if a consent decree circumvented the CBA, that is why it would pull in the union to defend their bargaining rights which would be affected for the life of the decree.

The whole problem stems from the city side of things and I think people are starting to realize that. The city will vote for any consent decree so I don't think the DOJ will have to sue, but it the union will more than likely take it to court if it comes to that.
    Since the DOJ has documented that it will sue without a settlement by consent decree, the question is, could a consent decree pass that did not necessarily circumvent the CBA so that things can move forward? Otherwise, the current process could continue to be held hostage by lengthy litigation.
    Last edited by Scooter56; 02-06-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Addition

Forum Member

What I meant was the city and DOJ had not discussed the terms of a consent decree which is what city council was going to vote on. Most if not all that has been told to us (firefighters in the field) is located on the union website for public view.

Forum Member

Right, they didn't run the final draft by them up for vote.

http://www.austinsafetyfirst.org/press-room/

Forum Member

Long time lurker. I've been following this as most of you have. Took the exam back in April, scored top 100, and all that. I started the San Antonio process just recently. We'll see which one gets along faster. Hehehe.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by longhorn2009 View Post
    I started the San Antonio process just recently. We'll see which one gets along faster. Hehehe.
    Fingers crossed for Austin!

Forum Member

Does anybody work or know anybody that works for Pflugerville fire department? It is near Austin.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    Does anybody work or know anybody that works for Pflugerville fire department? It is near Austin.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=aust...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

It's about 17 miles north of Austin, and in rush hour traffic will be considerably more than half an hour to get there from Austin. I'd say up to an hour conservatively if you are leaving from somewhere within the downtown or south area.

Sorry psilentchild. I thought you had asked if it was near Austin.
    Last edited by longhorn2009; 02-17-2014 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Addition

Forum Member

Odds of resuming by end of month, anyone?

Forum Member

Odds of resuming by end of month, anyone?
    Do we have to pick the month also?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Do we have to pick the month also?
    How's about February, guy?

Forum Member

How's about February, guy?
    Maybe if it was a leap year

Forum Member

3-1 February
    2-1 March
    3-2 April

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    They're an ESD with no academy of their own, so applicants are required to have basic firefighter certification and EMT-B. I think applications closed in January for Pflugerville, though.

Nearly everything in that area is new construction that's up to code, so you'd be a pretty bored firefighter spending most of your time responding to medical calls.

Forum Member

I had an interview there back in January for their pub ed position. They told me when I called they haven't decided on who they want to hire. I was wondering if anybody worked there or know anybody that works there to see who's name they were looking at.

Forum Member

Anyone else testing in San Antonio on March 28th? I live in Austin and I'm hoping to car pool with someone down to SA.

Forum Member

I will be taking that exam. Able to carpool also

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brezzway View Post
    I will be taking that exam. Able to carpool also
    Brezzway, PM me please so we can coordinate everything.

Forum Member

I dont suppose you have room for 1 more. Ill throw in for gas.

Thread Information