Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 283536373839404148 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    That's not accurate. The census is updated every 10 years, and that 1 has a date of 2000,
    About the same

http://austintx.areaconnect.com/statistics.htm

Forum Member

Nevermind I can see it again.
    Last edited by psilentchild; 08-08-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Forum Member

I can't be the only one muttering a string of curse words under my breath right now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    I can't be the only one muttering a string of curse words under my breath right now.
    Nope. I'm right there with you. Worse thing is this: My wife is due around mid october so if i can't take my CPAT here in LA, it's gonna be cutting it close

Forum Member

You're definitely not the only one.

Forum Member

Okay, everybody keep calm and take a deep breath. We only have a few more weeks of waiting. Trust me, it'll all be worth it in the end. At least this means they're not canning the hiring process. Right??

Forum Member

The City and the Union must reach an agreement by Sept 30, or they will have to scrap this whole process.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSplinter View Post
    Okay, everybody keep calm and take a deep breath. We only have a few more weeks of waiting. Trust me, it'll all be worth it in the end. At least this means they're not canning the hiring process. Right??
    Guessing the reason we have to keep holding our breath is to get a better idea of if they'll be scrapping the process. No use in spending all that money on CPAT orientations, background checks, etc, if they're not going to hire any of us. They already blew a big wad on interviewing 3000 of us.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    Guessing the reason we have to keep holding our breath is to get a better idea of if they'll be scrapping the process. No use in spending all that money on CPAT orientations, background checks, etc, if they're not going to hire any of us. They already blew a big wad on interviewing 3000 of us.
    They have done it (scrap the process) several times in the past. FYI

Forum Member

Did everyone get the email? Or just read the update off the web?

Forum Member

Pretty Sure everyone got the email

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo85 View Post
    Pretty Sure everyone got the email
    Pretty sure you're right.

Forum Member

I'm pretty sure .... That question was answered pretty well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Recio30 View Post
    I'm pretty sure .... That question was answered pretty well.
    Pretty well indeed

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jperez51 View Post
    Nope. I'm right there with you. Worse thing is this: My wife is due around mid october so if i can't take my CPAT here in LA, it's gonna be cutting it close
    no wonder you are looking outside CA. 1600 EMT's applying for 15 openings

at least they pay a lot better than San Diego

Aug. 09--More than 1,600 applications were turned in this week from job seekers hoping to be selected to fill 15 new Glendale firefighter positions.

The city began accepting online submissions on Monday and has accumulated a mass of applicants from California as well as other states, according to Aymee Martin, human resources administrator. Job hopefuls still have until Aug. 16 to apply.

"They are just looking for that one opportunity," she said.

The open firefighter positions have drawn more applicants in the first week of recruitment than the Glendale Police Department received during its latest effort to hire new officers.

The police department collected 815 applications during its July recruitment campaign, which was aimed at filling general and bilingual officer positions.

The Los Angeles City Fire Department received more than 13,000 applications last year to fill 350 firefighter positions over the next two years.

Nine firefighters were recently hired by the Burbank Fire Department, but 3,500 job seekers applied in October 2010 to take a written exam, according to Fire Chief Tom Lenahan.

Glendale fire officials have taken their recruitment efforts to social media, using Twitter and YouTube to get the word about the new positions.

The fire department is looking for recruits who are willing to provide community service and have exemplary ethics.

After applying, job seekers must take a written exam, which will likely be given in September.

The application process includes a background investigation, credit check and polygraph test, as well as written, oral and performance exams.

After candidates pass the application process, fire officials will select 15 recruits.

In mid-March 2014, the recruits will begin a 14-week academy, which will include learning how to pull hoses, carry ladders, use fire equipment and rescue victims.

The new Glendale firefighters, who will be on probation for a year, can expect to receive a starting monthly salary of $5,726, as well as health benefits.

For more details about the firefighter positions, visit glendalefire.org.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

Alene Tchekmedyian contributed to this report.

Copyright 2013 - Glendale News-Press, Calif.

Forum Member

Anybody heard any thing about the contract negotiation?

Forum Member

Have not seen this posted yet

Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 04:07 PM CDT A major milestone for the Austin Fire Department: 36 of their 47 new graduates are dedicated to new positions. For the first time, the City of Austin will reach national standards when it comes to staffing. Battalion Chief Thayer Smith says, "It'll make the citizens safer, the firefighters safer with all units now having four persons, so we're very excited to get to that." While many here celebrate that milestone, there's also an issue looming over these firefighters. Contract negotiations between the Austin Firefighters Association and the City of Austin have come to standstill. Austin City Councilman Mike Martinez says, "Both sides have put their last offers on the table, both sides have agreed that neither one of them wants to make any concessions. So it's kind of a cooling off period." Martinez who says the main sticking point is a discrepancy over authority over the hiring process. The city wants power to implement a hiring process that will achieve diversity. "Diversity is an important goal, not just to the city but the union as well, it's just about the details and how we achieve the diversity," says Martinez No one from the firefighters union would comment about the issue on camera. Off camera they did tell us the Austin Firefighters Association wants to make sure standards are not compromised in order to achieve that diversity. So what's next? The current contract expires September 30. In a statement from the city of Austin labor relations officer, Deven Desai says: "After four months of good-faith bargaining and dialogue, we unfortunately were not been able to reach an agreement. Negotiations have concluded, and we will continue abiding by the current contract which carries us through September 30. Beginning October 1, we will operate under State Civil Service law. Whether under the current contract or Civil Service, the great service the Austin Fire Department provides to our Austin residents will not be impacted."

Read More at: http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/...33.shtml?wap=0

Forum Member

From July

"McDonald made an ultimatum 'you sign this hiring article that gives me the ability to do whatever I want or you don't get a contract.' It's just that simple," said Nicks.
    KVUE News reached out to the city for comment from McDonald. We were told he was not in the office and that Desai would speak on the city's behalf.
    As of now, the contract between the AFA and the city requires firefighters are hired based on scores. Twenty percent of that score comes from a written or cognitive exam. The other 80 percent is based on an oral exam.
    The contract expires on September 30th. When it does, the city will likely have to go back to the requirements established in the civil services hiring process which bases a candidate's score 100 percent on a written test.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/Austi...216234001.html

Forum Member

So if sept. 30 comes around and there is no agreement does that mean our current written test scores will be what we get hired on or does that mean we have to go back and take a civil service exam. Is there a possibility the city just wont hire anyone this year until an agreement is reached?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrInternational View Post
    So if sept. 30 comes around and there is no agreement does that mean our current written test scores will be what we get hired on or does that mean we have to go back and take a civil service exam. Is there a possibility the city just wont hire anyone this year until an agreement is reached?
    The test we took is very different from a civil service exam. Likely we'd have to retake a new one, though there's no telling when.

Thread Information