Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

Well that is a pleasant surprise, I scored 100! I've got plenty of company though with 50+ others scoring 100 and an additional thirty or so candidates scoring a 99. Good luck to all those moving on in the process!
    ColoradoDave and jjohnson3 like this.

Forum Member

Bulljargon I'm about to send u a pm. I have a question for u

Forum Member

Congrats to those that scored well...I performed not as well as I anticipated...81%...I believe that I answered all of the problem solving / scenario questions 100% with about a 3% margin of error...Could the personality aspect have taken me down a notch? I did feel sort of rushed on it...Anyhow, what does everyone think? I flew down once from Baltimore for the written & would have to fly down again for an interview...Is it worth it at this point only having scored 81% on the written? Thanks in advance to anyone who lends some advice...

Forum Member

Wink

well I would like to say congrats to those that scored well, I posted a 92%. I didnt think that was bad, I wish I would have done better, but not bad for my first exam. Good luck to those moving on to the SOI stage

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by j4321 View Post
    Congrats to those that scored well...I performed not as well as I anticipated...81%...I believe that I answered all of the problem solving / scenario questions 100% with about a 3% margin of error...Could the personality aspect have taken me down a notch? I did feel sort of rushed on it...Anyhow, what does everyone think? I flew down once from Baltimore for the written & would have to fly down again for an interview...Is it worth it at this point only having scored 81% on the written? Thanks in advance to anyone who lends some advice...
    If you want it bad enough, I would say yes. Remember, the exam score is only 1/3 of your final score. If you are confident in your interview skills, you can easily crack the top 120. I personally got a 91.34 which ranks me at 492, but I still like my chances of making the cut. One thing I learned well during college was how to interview. I like the fact that AFD doesn't solely rely on test scores to advance people early on in the process unlike SAFD or FWFD.

Forum Member

Last edited by oakleyfire144; 11-22-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Ejp
    Forum Member

Default New kid

How's it hanging fellas. Newbie here and just came across this site..
    I just took the test in Austin which happened to by my first one and I scored a 94.12.
    I think that's pretty good. A little nervous about the interview. I hear it's a make or break you kinda thing

Forum Member

Forum Member

Good luck to all on the upcoming SOI. I scored within the top 1500, however scoring a 78 I'm seriously debating if it is even worth the expense to come in. I do not lack the desire for this career however with 24+ pages of other candidates ranked ahead, I'm realistic on the numbers and the near impossibility of scoring in the top 120. As for the 78, I have no idea. I scored in the 90s last year and have scored in the mid 90s on other exams. Perhaps it was just a bad day.

With that said, does anyone have any info on the final scores are determined? I've read there is a 1/3 method and there will be more standardizing/etc.

Forum Member

emode where are u traveling from?

Forum Member

Tucson, Arizona

Forum Member

wow...i can see your concern definitely, so what day are u scheduled for the interview and when will you decide if you are going to fly down? Interviews right around the corner

Forum Member

The final score is going to be 1/3 Written and 2/3 SOI. Then if get military points they tack on those 3 at the end. Then the top 120 will move on after that

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emode View Post
    ... I scored within the top 1500, however scoring a 78 I'm seriously debating if it is even worth the expense to come in...
    That is a tough position to be in for sure. I suggest you take a look at the Final Cadet Ranked List from 2011 here: http://www.cityofaustin.org/fire/dow...cadrankfin.pdf This might give you some idea of the scores necessary to make the list. Granted, last year's scores from the written exam and interview were averaged together where as this year the SOI is worth 2/3 the final score. Also, last year the candidates were re-interviewed due to the questions becoming leaked. It is hard to say for sure, but that may have skewed scores one way or another.

So based on that information maybe you can make an informed decision on whether it will be worth your time and money to travel back to Austin to interview.

Go through a few scenarios. Assume it will take a final score of 90+ to make the top 120 (that number is purely speculative). You scored a 78 on the written. That means you will need to score a 96 in the interview: 78*(1/3)+96*(2/3)=90. If you qualify for the 3 military points, you would need a 91.5 in the interview: 78*(1/3)+91.5(2/3)+3=90.

Again, take this information with a grain of salt. The hiring process changed slightly from last year so the scores on the 2011 list don't necessarily translate to the 2012 process. In any case, I hope it helps.

Forum Member

Thanks! I've looked at the numbers and it makes sense now. I most likely will not be traveling in for the SOI this year. I remember 2011's process. That was horrible, especially traveling in from Arizona 3 times just for 2011. Added to the process of applying/testing/traveling for San Antonio 10, 11, 12 , I am seriously drained financially. (Though of course it will all be worth it one day) Actively working on relocating to the San Antonio/Austin area by mid-August to alleviate the burden of traveling back and forth for future processes. This is the dream job and anywhere in the Texas triangle would work. Might as well be closer to it.

Good luck to all who are continuing.

Ejp
    Forum Member

This being my first SOI, I'm guessing a suit is a no brainier to the Interview?!

Forum Member

dress to impress

Forum Member

Hey guys! This my first post but I have been following along throughout the process. I saw the next step was the psychological test. Does anyone know if that involves a polygraph?

Forum Member

No polygraph

Forum Member

This waiting is absolutely killing me. August 10th can't come fast enough that's for sure!

Forum Member

agreed lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by txstate89 View Post
    This waiting is absolutely killing me. August 10th can't come fast enough that's for sure!
    Results will be posted Aug. 8th. I know its still a ways to go, but I will take the two less days.

Forum Member

The website said aug 10th, did they change it again

Forum Member

I have seen both of these dates posted. It is safe to say I will be checking the 8th and 10th. Gtcaptain is this your first time going through the interview process?

Forum Member

Yes it is...

Thread Information