Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    So what happens if you are over the age 35 by the time the court blesses everything ?????
    Nothing, just like what happens if you turn 35 the day after submitting your application. All that matters is your age on the application date.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Forum Member

Anyone local who is interested and wants to go:

Austin Firefighter Association personnel will be available to provide candidates from the 2012 and 2013 hiring processes with the most up-to-date information and help answer your questions. Do not be kept in the dark any longer, please plan on attending.

Educational Meeting for AFD Candidates from the 2012 and 2013 Hiring Processes
    Hosted by Austin Firefighters Association

Tuesday, May 13 at 6:00pm - 7:30pm

Austin Firefighters Association
    7537 Cameron Rd, Austin, Texas 78752

Forum Member

"Claimants potentially eligible for relief under this Decree include all African-American and Hispanic applicants for the fire cadet position in 2012 who took the NFSI and either:

i. Were considered by the City to have failed the NFSI because they received a score of less than 70 but passed the I2;

ii. Were not permitted to proceed to the SOI because they received a score of less than 75.06 but passed the I2; or

iii. Passed the NFSI with a score of 75.06 or higher and passed the I2, but ranked below the last applicant appointed from the 2012 eligibility list."

This is really unbelievable.

It sounds like no test will be easy enough for all blacks or Hispanics to pass. I'm sure other minorities and white people didn't make the cut either but we're not worried about them. I'd say the only way to circumvent this nonsense is to up the initial requirements for application, such as college degrees or fire certs, and do away with standardized testing. Undoubtedly though, some low socio-economic group would complain that they weren't afforded the opportunity earlier in life to meet the initial requirements. The CoA and particularly the union need to stand their ground on this and not set a precedent of affording monetary relief or jobs to those that can't develop better study habits.

The disparity in minority hires is, in my opinion, a recruiting problem. No one is advertising for whites to apply, but there is much attention and money directed towards hiring minorities. But simply pumping money into neighborhood ad campaigns (or however they recruit minorities) cannot be a good strategy. A focus should be made on recruiting qualified minorities that will succeed in the hiring process. Simply talking some kid off the street into applying doesn't mean that he/she will be capable of making the grade.

Forum Member

Unhappy

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Last edited by ffdustin22; 05-08-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Forum Member

No word on what city council voted. All I could find in the minutes was this:

10 Approve a settlement of claims asserted by the United States Department of Justice concerning hiring practices within the Austin Fire Department.
    PULLED FOR RELATED EXECUTIVE SESSION ITEM AND WILL BE SET FOR A 4:30 TIME CERTAIN

Forum Member

5-2 for consent. Now it goes to court for years....

Forum Member

Yeah. I hope the council members woke up this morning and realized what they did.

Forum Member

Either way the city is ****ed financially (option 1 had applicant payouts, option 2 had a lawsuit) so I'm curious what their legal counsel said that caused them to vote this way. To people who haven't been following every minute detail, it's easy to think the city is doing the right thing in voting to support the DOJ findings. A lot of these council members are running for office again at the end of the year, and I'm guessing they're trying to do what they can to appease minority voters now that they have to campaign outside of Hyde Park, Tarrytown, and Enfield in order to win.

I figured they would vote this way. At least now we can move forward with this process and finally get some closure from last year.

Forum Member

The vote was 5-2 with Council members Riley and Martinez voting "no."
    -@austintexgov

Forum Member

The proposed consent decree would not become effective until approved by both the city council and Department of Justice, and then by a United States federal judge in a legal proceeding.

http://kxan.com/2014/05/15/dozens-of...ing-practices/

Forum Member

Word from a friend on the department said this is the result of one black guy that scored a 33 on the test.

I'm glad the City Council is looking out for him.

Forum Member

Just hope someone gets hired this year

And austin can get future hiring process smoothed out

Just a bad history lately

Forum Member

Austin council and us justice on summer break??

Forum Member

So does anyone who currently works for AFD anticipate any "backlash" or resentment towards new hires, specifically minorities. I've been on a dept for a few years and I know as great as this job is, firemen gossip, etc.. worse than middleschool girls and this job is 90% about WHO you work with. Feel free to PM me, I know this is sort of an "inside" question. Not just about AFD but FD's in general.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JVN83 View Post
    So does anyone who currently works for AFD anticipate any "backlash" or resentment towards new hires, specifically minorities. I've been on a dept for a few years and I know as great as this job is, firemen gossip, etc.. worse than middleschool girls and this job is 90% about WHO you work with. Feel free to PM me, I know this is sort of an "inside" question. Not just about AFD but FD's in general.
    Who cares? Don't give anyone a reason to doubt whether you should be there. Also, I think it's safe to say that it would not be tolerated in the least. That being said, consent decrees are absolute garbage and I hope the clowns that couldn't score above a 70% on the test never set foot in a firehouse.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by William Bourbonstreet View Post
    Who cares? Don't give anyone a reason to doubt whether you should be there. Also, I think it's safe to say that it would not be tolerated in the least. That being said, consent decrees are absolute garbage and I hope the clowns that couldn't score above a 70% on the test never set foot in a firehouse.
    Couldn't agree more on that one. I didn't test in 12 but I did in 11 and 13 and the test was crazy easy to say the least. But from what I understand (and I don't follow it all that closely) is that's not how it's going to work, no? Any chance of hiring off that list would have to be people who scored more than a 70, correct? I thought they were just saving spots(or talking about it) for minorities who were eligible from the 12 list. Eligible would mean about 70 I thought.

Forum Member

So, I was one of the four people to go to the educational meeting held back in May. Thanks Bronco146. And, I kind of understood what President Nicks mentioned during that meeting. With everything that has happened, what is the probability of a class starting this year, next year, the year after that? We are not getting any younger here. If anyone has any heard any information or can break it down, please feel free to share or PM. Thanks.

Forum Member

I think the Feds lost the email, when the computer crashed, from the city.

One if these days it will happen

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by longhorn2009 View Post
    So, I was one of the four people to go to the educational meeting held back in May. Thanks Bronco146. And, I kind of understood what President Nicks mentioned during that meeting. With everything that has happened, what is the probability of a class starting this year, next year, the year after that? We are not getting any younger here. If anyone has any heard any information or can break it down, please feel free to share or PM. Thanks.
    I wish they'd at least release the initial rankings after the 2013 SOI. But like I've said before, doing that might make it more difficult to surreptitiously implement the city's affirmative action agenda.

Forum Member

Aren't you glad you kept your summer plans

Forum Member

Can someone give me a brief summary of what has happened this past year in the 2013 Austin Fire Department hiring process? Haha.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neonshoes View Post
    Can someone give me a brief summary of what has happened this past year in the 2013 Austin Fire Department hiring process? Haha.
    It is now 2014, working on 2015

Any questions???

Thread Information