Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3340414243444546 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neonshoes View Post
    So its done? Officially? So I shouldnt get my hopes up or check this page often for updates?
    No update yet. We will get an email when they decide to share the outcome with applicants. It will also be posted on the website. I believe the holdup for them is trying to figure out how to provide "relief" to the 2012 African Americans and Hispanics applicants as well how to modify the 2013 scores to compensate for the unintended discrimination found in this year’s process. I really want this career, so I won’t stop monitoring this forum or their website until a resolution is provided.

Forum Member

Haha yes I do too! I mean I didnt get the military points, but being on that top page of the written exam was pretty uplifting and promising. I guess Ill just keep focusing on school. Are any of yall still going to go to school if offered this position? Is it even possible?

Forum Member

Longhorn2008,
    Have you ever applied with San Antonio FD? If so, what is your opinion on their hiring process? Any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSplinter View Post
    Longhorn2008,
    Have you ever applied with San Antonio FD? If so, what is your opinion on their hiring process? Any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated.
    I'm not Longhorn2008...actually just the opposite haha Aggie2008, but I am in the SAFD process. I'm a much bigger fan of their process than Austin's. I have done Austin's 3 times now and every single time they have run into some sort of problem much like this year. Even though everything does depend on how you do on the written, it's straight forward after that. It's a very long very stressful process, but from what I've seen and heard their department is amazing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSplinter View Post
    Longhorn2008,
    Yes,
    I have tested twice with SAFD (2011 and 2012). I pulled out of the 2011 process because I injured my back. I was ranked in the 300s, so my chances of being selected were slim to none. For the 2012 process, my rank is 129. I am currently waiting to hear back for a polygraph. In a nutshell, SAFD is way more streamline. Your rank is solely based off your test score. The different phases are straight forward. I also appreciate that you test for the CPAT early on. Another great thing is you actually get a person, not a machine when you call and have a question about the process. The biggest difference between the processes is SAFD has a polygraph and AFD has an interview. With what has happened with AFD the last few years, I would prefer to take a polygraph.

Forum Member

Thanks for the input TheHulk86 and longhorn2008. I'm already looking forward to applying with SAFD.

Forum Member

I could've sworn I read on here somewhere that SAFD wasn't starting another hiring process for a year or so?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    I could've sworn I read on here somewhere that SAFD wasn't starting another hiring process for a year or so?
    They are in the selection process now so more than likely summer of 2014

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t125110-8/ (San Antonio 2012)

Put in an interest card so you do not miss

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SAFD_..._Interest_Card

Did you miss Fort Worth?

http://fortworthtexas.gov/hr/info/default.aspx?id=5520

Forum Member

Update from the website:

Hiring Update (10/31/13)

The City of Austin continues to be in discussions with the U.S. Department of Justice concerning the 2013 cadet hiring process. We will update this website with information about that hiring process as new information becomes available. Applicants should continue to monitor this website for the latest news on the hiring process. Thanks for your continued interest and commitment to becoming a City of Austin firefighter.

Forum Member

Anyone else testing in Fort Worth?

Forum Member

Any out-of-towners still plan on going if hired?
    Last edited by psilentchild; 11-11-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    Any out-of-towners still plan on going if hired?
    Honestly, depends on the timing. if it's complete last minute, maybe. if there's some time to buy a ticket/hotel, i will plan on it. This is my 2nd year testing and i came close last year and i really like the city of austin and would love to move my family there.

Forum Member

Yes I am going to go back! I just transferred to Texas Tech. Bad decision, I miss Austin. But how are they going to do this you think?

Like get the top applicants to do the Physical and mental/background/drug test at once?

Cause I feel like it is appropriate to give some time to administer drug test. To get doctors notes and all in time. I don't know. How does that work? I plan on getting my wisdom teeth out maybe this break. Haha

Forum Member

Has anybody heard anything?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    Has anybody heard anything?
    I think I heard a cricket...
    SR5611 likes this.

Forum Member

well two fire marshalls came into my work to inspect and i asked them about the test. they said it will most likely be scrapped. Who knows if they were just guessing or had some inside info so take it for what its worth. heresay

Forum Member

A person I spoked to said that there is still a chance for this year's hiring class and that a mutiple candidate list will be released, but this too is just a rumor.
    Last edited by Apollo85; 11-27-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo85 View Post
    A person I spoked to said that there is still a chance for this year's hiring class and that a mutiple candidate list will be released, but this too is just a rumor.
    Hi, Apollo, thanks for sharing. What is a multiple candidate list versus a normal initial eligibility list? I know you say it's just a rumor but I was just wondering if your source was privy to some level of information or if it is just a theory.

I, myself, have a theory. Judging by posts of last year's process, it took 2.5 months after the initial list was released for backgrounds/physicals/etc to complete and for conditional offers to go out, and an academy started about a month after that. AFD maintains they still plan to have an academy in early 2014. Assuming the latest that could be is March 31st and that remaining steps of the process take the same time, they could be aiming to release a list by mid December.

I understand this is subject to DOJ timing but they have had a lot of time. But of course they could always just push things back again like they have been doing.

Besides articles in the Statesman, the Austin IAFF website is a treasure trove of information about the ongoing political climate. They really are fighting it out.

Forum Member

Not the case. See iafflocal975.org for more information.

Forum Member

Sounds like a slow trudge to an end

http://www.iafflocal975.org/items/AF...j%20update.pdf

Thread Information