Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wrttx View Post
    I think what they're saying is no one can leapfrog anyone else at this point. But if you're #55 and 10 people with better ranks than you fail a pre-hire step, they are eliminated and you become #45 on the final eligibility list. That means you had moved from May to March academy.
    I agree with wrttx.

Forum Member

I want to wish everyone a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving! We should all give thanks for the opportunity to become an Austin Firefighter! This is truly the best fire department in the nation!

Forum Member

Default Notice of Entry of Consent Decree

Just received a 2nd notice about the consent decree via email. Did anyone else receive one? Pretty much the same information that was on the 1st notice sent around August, but with a few updates.

1. These priority appointments will include 12 African American applicants and 18 Hispanic applicants from the City’s 2012 hiring process. (1st notice did not have the breakdown of the priority appointments)

2. You are being sent this Notice because you have been preliminarily deemed to be a “Claimant,” which would make you eligible for backpay and/or priority appointment consideration under the Decree. If you wish to request backpay consideration and/or consideration for priority appointment, you must fill out the Interest in Relief form attached with this notice and return it by U.S. mail no later than January 21, 2015, to:

What stood out to me was "Those eligible and interested will be invited to participate in a new lawful competitive selection process developed pursuant to the Decree".

So there will be a new selection process for these priority appointments. The question now is when will the process take place and are these 30 priority appointments in addition to the 90 they plan to hire from the 2013 hiring process.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by longhorn2008 View Post
    Just received a 2nd notice about the consent decree via email. Did anyone else receive one? Pretty much the same information that was on the 1st notice sent around August, but with a few updates.

1. These priority appointments will include 12 African American applicants and 18 Hispanic applicants from the City’s 2012 hiring process. (1st notice did not have the breakdown of the priority appointments)

2. You are being sent this Notice because you have been preliminarily deemed to be a “Claimant,” which would make you eligible for backpay and/or priority appointment consideration under the Decree. If you wish to request backpay consideration and/or consideration for priority appointment, you must fill out the Interest in Relief form attached with this notice and return it by U.S. mail no later than January 21, 2015, to:

What stood out to me was "Those eligible and interested will be invited to participate in a new lawful competitive selection process developed pursuant to the Decree".

So there will be a new selection process for these priority appointments. The question now is when will the process take place and are these 30 priority appointments in addition to the 90 they plan to hire from the 2013 hiring process.

The exam scores for the 2013 hiring cycle are posted at the following link. The Final Consent Decree signed on November 7, 2014, allows the Austin Fire Department (AFD) to hire 90 cadets from this list (page 16).

This clearly states AFD is allowed to hire 90 cadets from THE POSTED LIST.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by austin fire 2015 coa View Post
    The exam scores for the 2013 hiring cycle are posted at the following link. The Final Consent Decree signed on November 7, 2014, allows the Austin Fire Department (AFD) to hire 90 cadets from this list (page 16).

This clearly states AFD is allowed to hire 90 cadets from THE POSTED LIST.
    I was aware they can hire up to 90 cadets from that list, but that was not what I was asking. The decree states the City is obligated to make 30 priority appointments from the 2012 hiring process. My question is when will this happen? Last I heard, AFD is planning two class of 45 for 2015. If the City decides to hire 90 from the 2013 hiring process, this would imply the 30 priority appointments would not participate in these classes. Yes, it clearly states AFD is allowed to hire 90 cadets from THE POSTED LIST, but is not required. The 2nd part of my question is will they or will they only hire 60 from the 2013 hiring process and reserve 30 spots for the priority appointments.

Forum Member

Wonder how many from three years ago are still looking for a job??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by longhorn2008 View Post
    I was aware they can hire up to 90 cadets from that list, but that was not what I was asking. The decree states the City is obligated to make 30 priority appointments from the 2012 hiring process. My question is when will this happen? Last I heard, AFD is planning two class of 45 for 2015. If the City decides to hire 90 from the 2013 hiring process, this would imply the 30 priority appointments would not participate in these classes. Yes, it clearly states AFD is allowed to hire 90 cadets from THE POSTED LIST, but is not required. The 2nd part of my question is will they or will they only hire 60 from the 2013 hiring process and reserve 30 spots for the priority appointments.
    No, they are hiring 90 off the 2013 list for the next two classes. They are designing a future process only for eligible minorities from 2012 to choose the 30 for a future class. Don't worry about it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wrttx View Post
    No, they are hiring 90 off the 2013 list for the next two classes. They are designing a future process only for eligible minorities from 2012 to choose the 30 for a future class. Don't worry about it.
    Wrttx, thanks for your input and reassurance. Longhorn2008 had me worried there for a minute.

Thread Information