Forum Member

Default Follow up email.

It's been sent, stop reading this.

Forum Member

Did everyone receive EMAIL #1???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by austin fire 2015 coa View Post
    Did everyone receive EMAIL #1???
    I got email #1 as well. I'm glad they are allowing a successful cpat test to count as a complete for the pre hire. That REALLY saves me from having to go out again.

Anyone else flying in for the January 11 test?

Forum Member

Got it! I'm impressed by how detailed and comprehensive it is.

Forum Member

I was hoping to have more time between the final CPAT and the 2nd class in case I made the top 90. I would need at least 3 months to leave my current job, and sitting on the list at 11X doesn't help. Is there any way to find out how many people did not respond to the previous cutoff so that I can see if I moved any closer to 90?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jagui169 View Post
    I was hoping to have more time between the final CPAT and the 2nd class in case I made the top 90. I would need at least 3 months to leave my current job, and sitting on the list at 11X doesn't help. Is there any way to find out how many people did not respond to the previous cutoff so that I can see if I moved any closer to 90?
    That would be nice to know as well. However, I don't think they would release that info. I was thinking that AT LEAST 10% dropped out since the list included the top candidates and with other major departments hiring, I would imagine that at least a few of them got picked up by someone else. After all, we are more than one year out from the interview date (July 2013)
    Last edited by Jprz.51; 12-04-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skitahoe View Post
    Fire49, what do you mean by "bungled"? I didn't test last time, but coming from out of state seeing that makes me a little nervous.
    Do a little history review and figure out when they took applications, gave tests, did interviews and there was not a major problem.

Maybe the feds are here to help and can do it???

do you have any fire fighter certifications or emt???
    Last edited by fire5555; 12-04-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Forum Member

Update posted on the Austin Website:

Hiring Update for 2013 Candidates (12/05/14)
    The first of the three follow-up emails about pre-hire screening has been sent to 136 candidates who accepted a Conditional Offer of Employment. These candidates were among the top 150 on the 2013 hiring list. If you are in the pre-hire screening group and you did not receive the email, please contact FireEmployment@austintexas.gov.

The following is a link to the Appointment Dates: Hiring Update 2014 Appointment list

Looks like after the letters went out, 136. Considering it's been well over a year, that's a pretty good number. Good Luck everyone!!

BTW, we should plan a Firehouse Forums get together come the weekend of January 10. It'd be nice to meet some future academy cadets!

Forum Member

Good news!

Forum Member

Anybody on here happen to be from the 2012 hiring process? If so, do you plan on continuing with the "priority hire"?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jprz.51 View Post
    That would be nice to know as well. However, I don't think they would release that info. I was thinking that AT LEAST 10% dropped out since the list included the top candidates and with other major departments hiring, I would imagine that at least a few of them got picked up by someone else. After all, we are more than one year out from the interview date (July 2013)
    Well Jprz.51, it looks like you were pretty accurate on your 10 % estimate.

Forum Member

knowing that 136 are still in the process doesn't really help me out any. Those could have been #s 137-150 that just decided they had no chance. Now if those 14 came from the top 110, then I'm now in the high 90s. Big difference for me. Oh wells.

Forum Member

Well Jprz.51, it looks like you were pretty accurate on your 10 % estimate.
    What do I win?!

In all seriousness, the number of dropouts is good regardless of where they dropped out from (top or bottom) because we still need to take into account people who will be DQ'd because they were late to a test or missed a test and those who will not pass the tests.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jprz.51 View Post
    What do I win?!

In all seriousness, the number of dropouts is good regardless of where they dropped out from (top or bottom) because we still need to take into account people who will be DQ'd because they were late to a test or missed a test and those who will not pass the tests.
    Good point. I'm sure there will also be a number of people who get DQ'd during the background investigation.

Forum Member

Good point. I'm sure there will also be a number of people who get DQ'd during the background investigation.
    Plus, if AFD holds true to their word that you will be automatically DQ'd if you are late (and you must check in at least 15 minutes early), that will also eliminate some people. If there is anything I've learned through all my years of going through different processes it's that some people have no regards to being on time.

Forum Member

So did anyone get to the FireFit? I got a rude awakening today when I dusted off the weight vest and hopped on the stairmill. I took some weight out and did the stairmill portion twice today, and did it 3 times with no weight. I got it done but my legs were JJEELLOOO even after the first run! I'm glad we have some time, based on this I'm going to do this 3 times a week at bare minimum. For anyone not stair training with weight, I would highly recommend it, I climb stairs in bunker gear all the time and it is definitely nothing compared to the weight vest and the cadence of the stairmill. For people with big feet this is especially hard, because the steps on the stairmill are MUCH smaller than your foot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frostymug1001 View Post
    So did anyone get to the FireFit? I got a rude awakening today when I dusted off the weight vest and hopped on the stairmill. I took some weight out and did the stairmill portion twice today, and did it 3 times with no weight. I got it done but my legs were JJEELLOOO even after the first run! I'm glad we have some time, based on this I'm going to do this 3 times a week at bare minimum. For anyone not stair training with weight, I would highly recommend it, I climb stairs in bunker gear all the time and it is definitely nothing compared to the weight vest and the cadence of the stairmill. For people with big feet this is especially hard, because the steps on the stairmill are MUCH smaller than your foot.
    My daily running route is almost all hills. When I'm feeling crazy, I'll run a hill that has about a 800' elevation gain over a 7% incline. I don't use a weighted vest BUT I do push my son in his stroller so I'm anticipating that that will be sufficient. I've passed the CPAT a few times before and I wasn't in as good of shape as I am now so hopefully that plays a big factor in helping me pass it.

Also, I'm shooting to pass the CPAT during the first practice run so then I don't have to return in March.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fellahin50 View Post
    Anybody on here happen to be from the 2012 hiring process? If so, do you plan on continuing with the "priority hire"?
    Fellahin50, I am debating on filling out the relief form. I received the notice through email and certified mail. Are you planning to continue?

Forum Member

Yes. I filled it out already. I was debating about it as well. Mostly due to possible backlash or resentment from the guys once hired on.

Forum Member

FYI Everyone....

I just received my email to complete my background information online. The background must be completed by December 19 so make sure you get to it on time.

Unless, of course, you want to wait until the last minute and not turn it on time and then be DQ'd and give others a better chance...then, just ignore this message

Forum Member

knowing that 136 are still in the process doesn't really help me out any. Those could have been #s 137-150 that just decided they had no chance. Now if those 14 came from the top 110, then I'm now in the high 90s. Big difference for me. Oh wells.
    Good question. Allow me to hypothesize. here's a little data to back up where I think the holes are. We have 2 lists on the current applicants page, ID#'s in ranked order to 150(technically longer but that's irrelevant), then an appointment list with 136 ID#'s in no particular order. If you cross-referenced the top 150 ID's on the master against the 136 ID's on the appointment list, as one would logically expect, there are 14 ID#'s missing. This suggests that they are the 14 who did not accept the letter for anyone not following me. Looking at the ranks of those ID#'s on the master should tell you the ranks that dropped. When I did it, here are the ranks I show to have dropped from the process: 7, 45, 47, 49, 53, 58, 65, 82, 97, 106, 115, 131, 143, 147. Anyone Higher than 98 will now be in the top 90. This makes sense in my head, but it is bro-science at it's best, so somebody let me know if this doesn't work.

Forum Member

Good question. Allow me to hypothesize. here's a little data to back up where I think the holes are. We have 2 lists on the current applicants page, ID#'s in ranked order to 150(technically longer but that's irrelevant), then an appointment list with 136 ID#'s in no particular order. If you cross-referenced the top 150 ID's on the master against the 136 ID's on the appointment list, as one would logically expect, there are 14 ID#'s missing. This suggests that they are the 14 who did not accept the letter for anyone not following me. Looking at the ranks of those ID#'s on the master should tell you the ranks that dropped. When I did it, here are the ranks I show to have dropped from the process: 7, 45, 47, 49, 53, 58, 65, 82, 97, 106, 115, 131, 143, 147. Anyone Higher than 98 will now be in the top 90. This makes sense in my head, but it is bro-science at it's best, so somebody let me know if this doesn't work.
    Frosty, I'm glad you did the math on this one. I kept trying to do it yesterday during work but I was too busy to complete it. I believe in your Bro-science.

Forum Member

Thanks man, that's awesome. Maybe we'll get some more appointment lists to do that with going forward. If not, it'll be a wait-and-see approach until the final list comes out.

Forum Member

Thanks for doing the pencil work bro. Much appreciated. Frostymug, are you scheduled for the January 10th Orientation?

Forum Member

Thanks for doing the pencil work bro. Much appreciated. Frostymug, are you scheduled for the January 10th Orientation?
    That's affirmative

Thread Information