Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frostymug1001 View Post
    Wow, congrats!! You mind sharing what your Austin rank was?
    I'll have to check.

Forum Member

San Francisco, Ca.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by STACEFIVE View Post
    Austin took too long. SF hired me. Good luck everyone. Hopefully Austin will kick into high gear.
    Congrats. Did you drop before or after conditional offers?

Forum Member

San Francisco, Ca.
    Fantastic !!!!!

Watch out for earthquakes and send me some sourdough bread

Forum Member

San Francisco, Ca.
    Congratulations! My brother lives in Oakland and got me a Firehouse Food cook book (he's friends with the author). Recipes are from SFFD. I have tried a few, but most of them put me over our supper club budget!

Forum Member

Have any of yall tried to schedule your Xray appt yet?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neano View Post
    Have any of yall tried to schedule your Xray appt yet?
    We get X-ray and lab work packets at Step 2. They ought to have detailed instructions in there for that I would think.

Forum Member

Yes they are giving packets with more detailed info out this weekend. I was concerned with only 13 days to schedule it there wouldn't be enough time. I tried getting it done early, but the place said you needed a DR's order. Rep at AFD said not to worry about it as the order issue and such would be taken care of this weekend.

Forum Member

I just received email #3, a reminder about my step #2 appointment this Saturday. I guess my background check was sufficient to continue in the hiring process. Ill see you guys for a long day on the 10th.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kl.thorpe View Post
    I just received email #3, a reminder about my step #2 appointment this Saturday. I guess my background check was sufficient to continue in the hiring process. Ill see you guys for a long day on the 10th.
    Also received that. Was about to ask what they were looking for in your credit report, but if Email 3 means we passed the background check then it's a moot point. What do y'all think?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wrttx View Post
    Also received that. Was about to ask what they were looking for in your credit report, but if Email 3 means we passed the background check then it's a moot point. What do y'all think?
    I don't know that it means we passed. I was just being optimistic, but how long could it really take to review 136 background reports.
    Regarding the credit report, they never mentioned anything about good credit being a requirement. So, I would assume they were maybe looking for possible government liens or levies. I cant imagine the credit report pulls that much weight in the background check.
    antstar13 likes this.

Forum Member

I don't know that it means we passed. I was just being optimistic, but how long could it really take to review 136 background reports.
    Regarding the credit report, they never mentioned anything about good credit being a requirement. So, I would assume they were maybe looking for possible government liens or levies. I cant imagine the credit report pulls that much weight in the background check.
    Thanks, I agree with you. My credit score is good but I saw a number of late payments on that report. I don't think any number of late payments are enough to fail it. Probably right that they're just looking for large amounts of past due debt that could put extra pressure on someone making them more likely to steal or accept bribes. Here's to optimism.

Forum Member

Ya'll put any thought into how "comfortable" you plan to dress? Verbiage in an email is one thing, but first impressions and all...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by antstar13 View Post
    Ya'll put any thought into how "comfortable" you plan to dress? Verbiage in an email is one thing, but first impressions and all...
    Cowboys shirt and jeans. Jk. Nice business casual.

Forum Member

So I received Email #1 and Email #3. Does anyone know if Email #2 was labeled in the heading title? Or are they considering the background check email as Email #2? What did email #2 mention? I'm afraid I may have missed it. Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

I have not yet decided what I will wear. I don't want to be under dressed. Yet, they have stated dress comfortably multiple times. At this moment, I am thinking jeans and a collared shirt. However, they threw another curve ball with the most recent email.

They stated in the most recent email "During the CPAT Orientation, instructors will walk you through the course and you will be allowed to try the CPAT events (stations)." I don't know what to make of this statement. In past orientations, departments normally have you watch the CPAT video and walk you through the course. By saying candidates will be able to do stations are they implying that we should bring athletic attire? I may email for clarification. Unless, someone else already has contacted them.

Forum Member

I have not yet decided what I will wear. I don't want to be under dressed. Yet, they have stated dress comfortably multiple times. At this moment, I am thinking jeans and a collared shirt. However, they threw another curve ball with the most recent email.

They stated in the most recent email "During the CPAT Orientation, instructors will walk you through the course and you will be allowed to try the CPAT events (stations)." I don't know what to make of this statement. In past orientations, departments normally have you watch the CPAT video and walk you through the course. By saying candidates will be able to do stations are they implying that we should bring athletic attire? I may email for clarification. Unless, someone else already has contacted them.
    sounds like clothes to do cpat in, unless you want to do it in suit and tie

if more than one event, take some presentable clothes and leave in car or gym bag

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by austin fire 2015 coa View Post
    So I received Email #1 and Email #3. Does anyone know if Email #2 was labeled in the heading title? Or are they considering the background check email as Email #2? What did email #2 mention? I'm afraid I may have missed it. Thanks in advance.
    I believe Email #2 had the subject "AFD Background Screening Requirement" It was not labelled as Email #2 anywhere, though. Also the email titled 2013 Hiring process stated: "Second, you will receive an email with instructions for completing the background investigation portion of the process." So, I am pretty sure that the background screening requirement message is Email #2.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire5555 View Post
    sounds like clothes to do cpat in, unless you want to do it in suit and tie

if more than one event, take some presentable clothes and leave in car or gym bag
    Dress comfortably i.e. athletic clothes. Don't worry about being "judged" by your appearance too much. That won't happen till HR day. That's when you will start to be judged everyday for the next 12 months.

Forum Member

The roads may be slick Saturday morning. Does anyone think they'll postpone or delay the orientation? I mean... They made it pretty clear that you'll be DQ'D if you're late.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by austin fire 2015 coa View Post
    The roads may be slick Saturday morning. Does anyone think they'll postpone or delay the orientation? I mean... They made it pretty clear that you'll be DQ'D if you're late.
    I doubt that they postpone or delay anything. They have people traveling from all over the country to participate. I think the conditions would have to be extremely unsafe for them to cancel. Additionally, they have it scheduled as an all day event. Which means they would have to re-schedule to another day. Being that the schedule is already crunched for time, I doubt they will re-schedule.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by antstar13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wrttx View Post
    Cowboys shirt and jeans. Jk. Nice business casual.
    I emailed them to ask for clarification on the attire, and this is the reply I received.

"Athletic clothing is appropriate so that you can try the stations at the CPAT Orientation. While all of the activities will be indoors, we recommend warm athletic clothing since we have no control of the thermostats in the area.
    Thank you."

So, athletic attire it is! Glad I emailed, because I would have showed up over dressed.

Forum Member

UPDATE:

Due to local hazardous conditions, the Hiring Process Appointments for Saturday, Jan 10th will be delayed until 2:30 pm. The building will be open at 7:00 am to receive individuals coming from out of town, HOWEVER, check-in will not begin until 2:00 pm.

Forum Member

I doubt that they postpone or delay anything. They have people traveling from all over the country to participate. I think the conditions would have to be extremely unsafe for them to cancel. Additionally, they have it scheduled as an all day event. Which means they would have to re-schedule to another day. Being that the schedule is already crunched for time, I doubt they will re-schedule.
    I was wrong. Apparently just the idea of cold weather was enough to cause the city to postpone.
    Originally, orientation was scheduled for possibly 10 1/2 hours (7:30 am-6:00pm). I'm curious how they will proceed now that they have pushed it back so late. Obviously we wont be there from 230pm-100am. Guess I'll see you guys this afternoon/evening.

Forum Member

Hey y'all, I just counted the number of candidates on the updated appointment list for this weekend, and there were only 128. Looks like we lost 8 more between conditional offer acceptance/rejection and the background check. It's not 100% sure that it's due to the background check because some may have dropped voluntarily who accepted conditionals prior to Step 2. But more than likely it's due to background checks, which if true is good news for all of us left passing the background and moving up more spots if you're on the bubble of the first class or making it into the top 90.

I'm going to compare this list with the 2013 results list to come up with which candidate numbers are missing where, like someone did on here before.

On another note, how about that psych exam?

Thread Information