Like Tree185Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jprz.51 View Post
    I'm from out of state and checked out apartments this last week while I was in town. I'm moving my family with me so I want to locate a safe area. Unfortunately, a lot of apartments require 3x the income of rent to allow you to live there. According to AFD website, academy lay is $2500/mo so I need to find either a house or look in round rock where it's a bit less expensive.
    Check out south outside of town. Kyle, San Marcos etc. I commute in from New Braunfels area and it's easy to get to the AFD training field on back roads where you never hit traffic. It a lot cheaper to live in these areas.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJayB View Post
    Although I'm not in the Austin process. I just got a job offer with another department close by. My wife and I are moving from California to Round Rock next week. Round rock a great area, but seeing the traffic on the 35 heading south in the morning would scare me if that's what I needed to commute in. Living close to the toll road might be a good option, but would get expensive and would still take 25-30 minutes to get to the academy. But can really beat the family friendly atmosphere there. I'm sure the local guys can tell you more, but if anyone has questions from a California expat. Let me know! I can also get you in touch with a Realtor that understood my needs and situation to help find a place!
    from another calif expat, why are you leaving??

Texas has no mountains, trees, some resemblance of a desert, no seafood, and beach is hours away.

Anyway enjoy the new job. Keep Austin weird. Enjoy the food in the area

By the way if you want a fire science degree or related field, Texas has a program to pay for most of it.

Forum Member

I wonder how many people will have prior experience firefighting that will be hired. My buddy said when he came through they took all the certified guys out and put them at stations after a little while then they went back to graduate with their class.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HFD51-always rollin View Post
    I wonder how many people will have prior experience firefighting that will be hired. My buddy said when he came through they took all the certified guys out and put them at stations after a little while then they went back to graduate with their class.
    CLAMPO!!! LLOOLL I looked at your username and it took me about half a second to figure out who this was. I don't think I have to bother mentioning that this is frosty, welcome to the forums bruh.

Forum Member

Anyone else likely to be in the first class moving to Austin from out of state?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jprz.51 View Post
    I'm from out of state and checked out apartments this last week while I was in town. I'm moving my family with me so I want to locate a safe area. Unfortunately, a lot of apartments require 3x the income of rent to allow you to live there. According to AFD website, academy lay is $2500/mo so I need to find either a house or look in round rock where it's a bit less expensive.
    A lot of times they will let you off without that requirement if you offer 1st&last months rent as a deposit(with OK credit). Also, alot of leasing agents at apartments don't have equity beyond getting you in the door. ie if you show them your CURRENT income where you are now (I'm guessing Colorado, and you're still working there, they're likely to not bother with the obvious likelihood that it's changing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJayB View Post
    Although I'm not in the Austin process. I just got a job offer with another department close by. My wife and I are moving from California to Round Rock next week. Round rock a great area, but seeing the traffic on the 35 heading south in the morning would scare me if that's what I needed to commute in. Living close to the toll road might be a good option, but would get expensive and would still take 25-30 minutes to get to the academy. But can really beat the family friendly atmosphere there. I'm sure the local guys can tell you more, but if anyone has questions from a California expat. Let me know! I can also get you in touch with a Realtor that understood my needs and situation to help find a place!
    Hired at Round Rock FD? Congrats. I've gone to a couple RRFD trainings and heard some of their union leadership speak at a conference. Rock solid department as far as I can tell.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HFD51-always rollin View Post
    May have happened before, but not now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frostymug1001 View Post
    A lot of times they will let you off without that requirement if you offer 1st&last months rent as a deposit(with OK credit). Also, alot of leasing agents at apartments don't have equity beyond getting you in the door. ie if you show them your CURRENT income where you are now (I'm guessing Colorado, and you're still working there, they're likely to not bother with the obvious likelihood that it's changing.
    I talked to the leasing office at a community we really like and they advised me as long as I get a letter from AFD stating that I will be making more money after the academy, they'll accept that as proof of income.

Forum Member

Anyone still not here back regarding their background?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jagui169 View Post
    Anyone still not here back regarding their background?
    I did not, but I think it's safe to assume by now that those who failed the background have been eliminated, and that no news is good news. We lost a handful (7-8) between backgrounds and orientation.

Forum Member

Anyone know a lot about the department in regards to how aggressive they are with fires (going in buildings, etc.)?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire5555 View Post
    from another calif expat, why are you leaving??

Texas has no mountains, trees, some resemblance of a desert, no seafood, and beach is hours away.

Anyway enjoy the new job. Keep Austin weird. Enjoy the food in the area
    By the way if you want a fire science degree or related field, Texas has a program to pay for most of it.
    Texas does have mountains, forests and seafood. East Texas is the pine lands, West Texas has the Davis Mountains and well seafood, just look to the gulf. Yes you are correct, Texas does offer certification through TEEX at Texas A&M in College Station. You do have to pay for it and it is expensive.

http://www.teex.com/teex.cfm?pageid=...emplateid=1405
    Last edited by USCGFF; 01-26-2015 at 07:06 AM.

Forum Member

I was going to apply, till I found out I was past the age cut off. That sucks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kydro_j View Post
    Anyone know a lot about the department in regards to how aggressive they are with fires (going in buildings, etc.)?
    Deciently agressive but they do a really good job of risk vs. reward. People don't get put into stupis situations they don't need to be. One of the safest depts. in the country. only 7 LODDs since dept. was founded. Sounds pretty good for a town of nearly 900,000 people.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco146 View Post
    Deciently agressive but they do a really good job of risk vs. reward. People don't get put into stupis situations they don't need to be. One of the safest depts. in the country. only 7 LODDs since dept. was founded. Sounds pretty good for a town of nearly 900,000 people.
    When you say decently aggressive, will they make an interior attack whenever conditions permit?

Forum Member

Last edited by 512brian; 03-07-2015 at 08:31 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wrttx View Post
    When you say decently aggressive, will they make an interior attack whenever conditions permit?
    Room in contents fire or report of people inside, all day long. Ventilation controlled fire under pressure, gets blitzed from the outside to keep it under control while the handling is getting in place to go interior.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 512brian View Post
    it is more defensive than interior
    Do you work in the area?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco146 View Post
    Room in contents fire or report of people inside, all day long. Ventilation controlled fire under pressure, gets blitzed from the outside to keep it under control while the handling is getting in place to go interior.
    Solid, sir. Thanks for the good word. Could that situation also involve a truck company venting the roof in addition to exterior blitz while handline is getting in place to go interior?

Forum Member

Deletedhggf
    Last edited by oakleyfire144; 01-27-2015 at 09:34 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wrttx View Post
    Solid, sir. Thanks for the good word. Could that situation also involve a truck company venting the roof in addition to exterior blitz while handline is getting in place to go interior?
    Not a whole lot of vertical ventilation is done in this area of the country due to the construction being so light (gusset plates and pre fab trusses) If you get a chance, look around at the houses going up, scary stuff.

Forum Member

Current Applicants Update:

Fitness Information for 2013 Candidates (01/28/15)
    AFD fitness staff have provided the following “readiness recommendations” for new cadets:
    36 push-ups
    2 minutes of plank
    10 pull-ups
    30 burpees
    50 air squats
    Stair climb equivalent to 9 stories with a bundle (approximately 35 lbs)
    Run 1.5 miles in less than 12 minutes
    Run 3 miles in 30 minutes

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by austin fire 2015 coa View Post
    Current Applicants Update:

Fitness Information for 2013 Candidates (01/28/15)
    AFD fitness staff have provided the following “readiness recommendations” for new cadets:
    36 push-ups
    2 minutes of plank
    10 pull-ups
    30 burpees
    50 air squats
    Stair climb equivalent to 9 stories with a bundle (approximately 35 lbs)
    Run 1.5 miles in less than 12 minutes
    Run 3 miles in 30 minutes

Thanks for the heads up!

What is everyone doing to prepare for the academy PT?

MembersZone Subscriber

Three sets of 30 push-ups, 30 pull-ups, 30 sit-ups and five sets of 1 minute planks before my daily workout. My diet is the only thing that really change this year due to Austin, I only eat foods that mold now and high protein and carb diet.

Thread Information