Like Tree185Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know what type of material Austin Fire or Texas Fire Departments in general study from, over in Savannah we study all our firefighting material from Jones and Bartlett/ essential edition 6?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenChild View Post
    Does anyone know what type of material Austin Fire or Texas Fire Departments in general study from, over in Savannah we study all our firefighting material from Jones and Bartlett/ essential edition 6?
    For the written test

Or the

State cert test?

MembersZone Subscriber

For the material Austin Fire use during recruit school and once you get on the floor. For example, in order to pass the state certification in Georgia you can study from Ifsta, Delmar, jones and Bartlett, or Brady.

Forum Member

For the material Austin Fire use during recruit school and once you get on the floor. For example, in order to pass the state certification in Georgia you can study from Ifsta, Delmar, jones and Bartlett, or Brady.
    What a fire academy should be teaching/ testing and what the stat cert test comes from:::

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov//manuals/c.../chapter_1.pdf

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, I read over that a couple of months ago and wasn't sure if there was anything else to go with it.

Forum Member

Thanks, I read over that a couple of months ago and wasn't sure if there was anything else to go with it.

did you see chapter 1 page 1 reference list

What you see is basic hours of each subject an academy is suppose to teach. They can add to it. But, once again, that is what the state cert test comes from

Forum Member

Does anyone know if there will be a change in salary for the Cadet position? According to the AFD website, the last update in regards to pay was Oct. 2012. I think we all know the cost of living in the city of Austin has increased over the last 2 1/2 years since that has been updated.

With that being said, does anyone have any inside knowledge or speculations of what, if any, the pay increase will be?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jprz.51 View Post
    Does anyone know if there will be a change in salary for the Cadet position? According to the AFD website, the last update in regards to pay was Oct. 2012. I think we all know the cost of living in the city of Austin has increased over the last 2 1/2 years since that has been updated.

With that being said, does anyone have any inside knowledge or speculations of what, if any, the pay increase will be?

guess the city has been fighting with the firefighters for a few years

cannot give you amounts but::

City Council adopts Fiscal Year 2013-2014 Budget

•A 1.5 percent salary increase for all civilian City employees and sworn APD staff.

•Civilian employees will also receive a $0.36 per hour base wage increase starting in April of 2014.

City Council adopts Fiscal Year 2014-2015 Budget

A 1 percent increase for sworn Austin Fire personnel is also included in the budget, but is dependent on the outcome of current labor contract negotiations

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire5555 View Post
    guess the city has been fighting with the firefighters for a few years

cannot give you amounts but::

City Council adopts Fiscal Year 2013-2014 Budget

•A 1.5 percent salary increase for all civilian City employees and sworn APD staff.

•Civilian employees will also receive a $0.36 per hour base wage increase starting in April of 2014.

City Council adopts Fiscal Year 2014-2015 Budget

A 1 percent increase for sworn Austin Fire personnel is also included in the budget, but is dependent on the outcome of current labor contract negotiations
    There has been no pay raise in two years...... That includes a cost of living adjustment. 70-80% of AFD firefighters do not live in the city limits due to the cost of living.

MembersZone Subscriber

So where do most Firefighters for Austin FD live? I know thats a broad question, but is there an area with good schools, better neighborhoods, and affordable living nearby Austin? I know someone posted earlier that Kyle, San Marcos, and New Braunfels are good areas but are there any other places?

Forum Member

So where do most Firefighters for Austin FD live? I know thats a broad question, but is there an area with good schools, better neighborhoods, and affordable living nearby Austin? I know someone posted earlier that Kyle, San Marcos, and New Braunfels are good areas but are there any other places?
    Buda, round rock, pfluggerville. Traffic is a ton better to get into town if you live south than if you live north. It's very easy to get to the academy on backroads from the south. About a 35 minute drive from San Marcos.

Forum Member

I know one that lives in north San Antonio

Forum Member

Just got this email this morning:

All Current AFD Applicants,

The following information is being provided to you as a courtesy, to provide you with helpful information for successfully completing the upcoming fire academy. To that end, some of the information provided in this email has also been made available on the Fire Department Hiring Website:

Applicants should begin preparing themselves physically for the upcoming AFD cadet class. AFD recommends the following “readiness recommendations” for new cadets:
    36 push-ups
    2 minutes of plank
    10 pull-ups
    30 burpees
    50 air squats
    Stair climb equivalent to 9 stories with a bundle (approximately 35 lbs)
    Run 1.5 miles in less than 12 minutes
    Run 3 miles in 30 minutes

Applicants will be notified of a final offer of employment after March 7th, 2015 for class 117 and, instructions for uniform sizing will be provided at that time.

The psychological interviews and medical exam will take place at the Public Safety Wellness Campus at 517 S. Pleasant Valley Road, Austin, TX 78741.

CPAT practice runs and the final test will take place at the Public Safety Training Center located at 4800 Shaw Lane, Austin, TX 78744.

Please plan approximately 90 minutes for your interview. If you are late to your appointment, you will not be allowed to participate and you will be disqualified from the hiring process. Dishonesty will result in automatic disqualification from the hiring process.

Thank you.

AFD Employment

Wondering if they are just going to do one class instead of two since there was no mention of any other classes.

Forum Member

Wondering if they are just going to do one class instead of two since there was no mention of any other classes.
    I doubt it, they are probably just trying to cross that bridge after they fill and start Class 117.

Forum Member

AUSTIN -- The men and women of the Austin Fire Department don't hesitate to put their lives on the line, but who's fighting for them?

The Austin Firefighters Association represents 90 percent of the department, negotiating work conditions, pay and hiring. In July 2013, the AFA and City of Austin came to an impasse over its collective bargaining agreement and have yet to reconcile.

Council Member Greg Casar wants to change that.

"There's a new council, it's a new day. Everybody should sit down at the table, leave old grudges aside and try to come to a new agreement," said Casar who represents District 4.

Casar is sponsoring a resolution that will be voted on at Thursday's meeting to begin negotiations with the city and AFA.

"The goal of the resolution is to tell the Firefighters Association and the city that we need to uphold our commitments together," added Casar. "And that together our commitments should be racial diversity and to a strong fire department with a fair process."

An investigation by the Department of Justice found Austin's 2012 hiring process discriminated against African-Americans and Hispanics. The city and DOJ signed a consent decree, in part agreeing to hire 30 cadets from the applicants that were discriminated against by October.

The city has started looking for vendors to test them, but Casar's resolution would temporarily halt the process for contract negotiations between the city and AFA with the hope both sides can sign an agreement and the AFA can be a part of the October hiring process and future hiring.

If the resolution passes, the city and AFA have until summer to sign a contract. If they don't the city will move forward with hiring on its own.

Forum Member

Shouldn't affect us.

Forum Member

I have a HUGE favor to ask of all my fellow firehouse members:

I'm planning the logistics of my upcoming trip and the hotels are a little expensive. Is anyone in the austin area willing to let me crash on a couch or floor for one night? I can pay a small fee if needed!

PM me if you're willing to help me out!

Forum Member

I'm planning the logistics of my upcoming trip and the hotels are a little expensive. Is anyone in the austin area willing to let me crash on a couch or floor for one night? I can pay a small fee if needed!

In an old firehouse and a block from 6th street

http://www.firehousehostel.com/mb/ro...dard-dorms.htm

What more do you want

Forum Member

Doesn't seem like you're set up to receive PMs. You've got to tweak your account settings.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by antstar13 View Post
    Doesn't seem like you're set up to receive PMs. You've got to tweak your account settings.
    Fixed it! Thanks!

Forum Member

AUSTIN -- The Austin City Council called a special meeting Thursday to receive a briefing from city staff on Imagine Austin, the city's land development plan for zoning and housing issues. It also voted to approve a resolution to begin contract negotiations between the city and Austin Firefighters Association (AFA).

In July 2013, the AFA and city came to impasse over its collective bargaining agreement, which regulates pay, hiring practices and work conditions, partly because neither could agree on the role the AFA should play in hiring.

Then, an investigation by the Department of Justice (DOJ) found Austin's 2012 and 2013 hiring processes discriminated against African Americans and Hispanics.

After the investigation, the city and DOJ signed a consent decree, in part agreeing to hire 30 cadets who were discriminated against in the 2012 process. The city has moved forward with hiring those cadets and currently has a Request for Proposals (RFP) out for vendors to retest the applicants. But the new city council wanted the city and AFA to try and reach an agreement so all stakeholders can be involved in hiring.

"The goal of the resolution is to tell the Firefighters Association and the city that we need to uphold our commitments together, and that together, our commitments should be racial diversity and to a strong fire department with a fair process," said Council Member Greg Casar who sponsored the resolution.

Initially, the resolution instructed the city to cancel the RFP until the city and AFA reached an agreement, but the council voted Thursday to continue the process while both sides negotiate.

"The most important thing is that we continue the process, we continue to hire the very best firefighters," said Austin Fire Chief Rhoda Mae Kerr.

While the process continues, the AFA will have a seat at the table to weigh in on hiring. And if the AFA and city can reach a collective bargaining agreement, the union will also have a say in future processes.

"We're not trying to run the hiring process, we never did run it. Management has always done that. What we want to make sure is that we can be involved in discussions on including professional criteria that are national standards to make sure we are hiring the best firefighters and being as inclusive as we can be," said AFA president Bob Nicks.

Currently, the fire department has 107 vacancies and is accumulating four vacancies a month. A cadet class is set to start in March and another in May.

The city and the AFA have 60 days to sign a contract.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by austin fire 2015 coa View Post
    AUSTIN -- The Austin City Council called a special meeting Thursday to receive a briefing from city staff on Imagine Austin, the city's land development plan for zoning and housing issues. It also voted to approve a resolution to begin contract negotiations between the city and Austin Firefighters Association (AFA).

In July 2013, the AFA and city came to impasse over its collective bargaining agreement, which regulates pay, hiring practices and work conditions, partly because neither could agree on the role the AFA should play in hiring.

Then, an investigation by the Department of Justice (DOJ) found Austin's 2012 and 2013 hiring processes discriminated against African Americans and Hispanics.

After the investigation, the city and DOJ signed a consent decree, in part agreeing to hire 30 cadets who were discriminated against in the 2012 process. The city has moved forward with hiring those cadets and currently has a Request for Proposals (RFP) out for vendors to retest the applicants. But the new city council wanted the city and AFA to try and reach an agreement so all stakeholders can be involved in hiring.

"The goal of the resolution is to tell the Firefighters Association and the city that we need to uphold our commitments together, and that together, our commitments should be racial diversity and to a strong fire department with a fair process," said Council Member Greg Casar who sponsored the resolution.

Initially, the resolution instructed the city to cancel the RFP until the city and AFA reached an agreement, but the council voted Thursday to continue the process while both sides negotiate.

"The most important thing is that we continue the process, we continue to hire the very best firefighters," said Austin Fire Chief Rhoda Mae Kerr.

While the process continues, the AFA will have a seat at the table to weigh in on hiring. And if the AFA and city can reach a collective bargaining agreement, the union will also have a say in future processes.

"We're not trying to run the hiring process, we never did run it. Management has always done that. What we want to make sure is that we can be involved in discussions on including professional criteria that are national standards to make sure we are hiring the best firefighters and being as inclusive as we can be," said AFA president Bob Nicks.

Currently, the fire department has 107 vacancies and is accumulating four vacancies a month. A cadet class is set to start in March and another in May.

The city and the AFA have 60 days to sign a contract.

Wow so all those people from the 2012 process might have to test again in order to be hired? I can't imagine a lot of people going back out for that. Good to see that there is some progress between the city and AFA.

Forum Member

Has anyone taken and passed the AFD CPAT?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by austin fire 2015 coa View Post
    Has anyone taken and passed the AFD CPAT?
    I've taken and passed the CPAT a few times before but never the AFD one. Although it's exactly the same as all the others due to IAFF regulating the event.

Forum Member

Has anyone done anything yet?

Thread Information