Like Tree185Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

MembersZone Subscriber

I have my medical first, then right after is my interview which so far they said it's ok to wear my gym clothes to the interview, but if I get time I will change back into my slacks and button-up for the interview.

Forum Member

I wore a plaid button up and jeans. It wasn't a formal affair.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jprz.51 View Post
    So would it be safe to assume that if we are this far along in the process, we have cleared backgrounds?
    Not necessarily. I did my background in Dec. And was emailed a copy of the results a week later with nothing in it, yet on Jan 28th he said my background was not complete. They also didn't call my employers (a 2nd time) until early Feb.
    Last edited by MrInternational; 02-10-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Forum Member

Has anyone been asked for any documents like transcripts, birth certificate, SS card yet? I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wrttx View Post
    Has anyone been asked for any documents like transcripts, birth certificate, SS card yet? I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
    Not yet. I'm sure those items will be requested during the HR process. However, I'm surprised they haven't asked for transcripts since one of the requirements is supposedly 16 college credits.

Forum Member

Nope. I have been wondering this myself. The background check was pretty narrow as well. They just verified employment really. Haven't given character references or anything. I have finished all the steps and am now just waiting for the final offer letter. Wondering if they are going to ask for that kind of stuff between then and the start of the academy. Just seems like they already would have gathered it.

Forum Member

I agree guys, thanks for letting me know. Like others, it came to my attention in the interview that the background investigation is still ongoing. I don't know what it is but the only thing I could think of is character references from past supervisors, in which case I wonder what the pass/fail is bc some people's references are hard to reach sometimes.

Forum Member

I agree guys, thanks for letting me know. Like others, it came to my attention in the interview that the background investigation is still ongoing. I don't know what it is but the only thing I could think of is character references from past supervisors, in which case I wonder what the pass/fail is bc some people's references are hard to reach sometimes.
    That's interesting. I'm wondering if those who were DQ'd from Backgrounds earlier in the process were eliminated due to Credit history, criminal history, drug use, etc. From what i gathered from my background report, they were able to reach all of my employers and verified all of my information.

About the character references: I agree. What happens if they can't reach old supervisors or managers? Will they proceed to hire you or delay/DQ because they didn't hear from anyone. Also, it may have been a long time, but I don't remember them asking for personal/professional references. Only past supervisors.

If anyone still has their Psych interview, can you try to poke a little more into the info regarding the background and what that entails? (is there still a chance of DQ's, what is left on the background, what are they digging for specifically?)
    Last edited by Jprz.51; 02-10-2015 at 06:15 PM.

Forum Member

That's interesting. I'm wondering if those who were DQ'd from Backgrounds earlier in the process were eliminated due to Credit history, criminal history, drug use, etc. From what i gathered from my background report, they were able to reach all of my employers and verified all of my information.

About the character references: I agree. What happens if they can't reach old supervisors or managers? Will they proceed to hire you or delay/DQ because they didn't hear from anyone. Also, it may have been a long time, but I don't remember them asking for personal/professional references. Only past supervisors.

If anyone still has their Psych interview, can you try to poke a little more into the info regarding the background and what that entails? (is there still a chance of DQ's, what is left on the background, what are they digging for specifically?)
    In case of that, I emailed them asking if it was helpful/appropriate to provide them with additional contact methods for supervisors at this time as the background is concluding. I'm hoping they will inform me a bit on what's left. My employment was verified originally too but not sure about them reaching my supervisors.
    Jprz.51 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jagui169 View Post
    The guy I saw fail will have a tough time getting through. He missed by like 3+ minutes. But I'm sure the treadmill test will get a few people. I'm in decent shape and that last minute was starting to test my will lol. I would advise you do it once so your not shocked like me. And I'm sorry to the two ladies that had to watch me sweat through that shirtless in some ranger panties.
    You and me both bro. I was sucking a little wind after my 8:46 on the CPAT, but at no time did my body want to stop going. Last couple minutes of the treadmill I was feeling pretty gassed, good wake up call! I told the girls that and they said they're not surprised, since CPAT is naturally so much easier for big guys. Dr. Parrish also informed me that while I'm not "overly fat", I should lean out a bit...Gotta appreciate the real talk! I told him not to worry, all he has to do is hire me and I'll be too broke for steak dinners for atleast a few years

Forum Member

Anyone who has taken the medical exam: Any tips or info to share?
    Not sure if you did it already, but the BIGGEST thing for me was that there isn't any warning when the treadmill speeds up. I was caught off guard by it a little bit. In the CPAT they countdown from warmup to actual climbing, on the treadmill test it's all done automatically, just listen for the whine of the treadmill to get louder and hyperfocus on the treadmill. The view out the windows is pretty good, don't get distracted!
    Jprz.51 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frostymug1001 View Post
    Not sure if you did it already, but the BIGGEST thing for me was that there isn't any warning when the treadmill speeds up. I was caught off guard by it a little bit. In the CPAT they countdown from warmup to actual climbing, on the treadmill test it's all done automatically, just listen for the whine of the treadmill to get louder and hyperfocus on the treadmill. The view out the windows is pretty good, don't get distracted!
    Good Advice bro. Thanks for that. I've changed my running route to the more hilly area around my house and am doing a 4 mile hike with some nice elevation gains every Saturday. I'm gonna get on the treadmill soon and simulate the test a bit.

What else is done during the medical portion?

MembersZone Subscriber

Honestly, the only way you can get a true feel for the test is by running on a treadmill, because I'm a good runner and I never use a treadmill and the test was a little tough for me, due to the fact that I normally run faster than 6 mph. I passed but I kept running into the front of the treadmill because i was more focus on the view than anything else (there is an open view of the baseball field in front of you). But they also test your hearing, vision, and the doctor actually does a couple of test too. nothing to worry about if you can atleast run a mile.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is anyone coming from out of town and looking for apartments? I'm from Savannah Georgia and I just finished the entire process yesterday, and if all goes well soon I will be in one of the classes.... with that said I found a great price on apartments 30 mins away from the academy for $475 per person, with their own individual lease, room, bathroom, and pretty nice place, utilites include in the price for a three bedroom (each person pays $475 and have to apply but you will be in the same apartment). If you want some infor on the location and place shoot me a text at 912-257-8002. I know we wont know anything until the 7th of March but thats right around the corner. I told the leasing agent that there might be some more guys wanting to move here, and if I could find at least 3 more ppl then they would give a 42in tv, and the rooms come fully furnished and if I find 6 ppl then we all get a discounted rate. Good luck everyone

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenChild View Post
    Is anyone coming from out of town and looking for apartments? I'm from Savannah Georgia and I just finished the entire process yesterday, and if all goes well soon I will be in one of the classes.... with that said I found a great price on apartments 30 mins away from the academy for $475 per person, with their own individual lease, room, bathroom, and pretty nice place, utilites include in the price for a three bedroom (each person pays $475 and have to apply but you will be in the same apartment). If you want some infor on the location and place shoot me a text at 912-257-8002. I know we wont know anything until the 7th of March but thats right around the corner. I told the leasing agent that there might be some more guys wanting to move here, and if I could find at least 3 more ppl then they would give a 42in tv, and the rooms come fully furnished and if I find 6 ppl then we all get a discounted rate. Good luck everyone

What is the name of the complex? I found one that me and my wife really like. It's a bit on the expensive end but it comes with a lot of amenities (w/d in unit, appliances, etc).

MembersZone Subscriber

Grove apartments (gogrove.com) and also the heights 2 apartments. I also look at the settlement which is little more on the expensive side if my wife decides to move now too, which is $822 for one bed room and 1160 for two bedroom, Utilities not included. 20 mins south of Austin in Kyle Tx.

Forum Member

Done with everything. One person no-showed at CPAT.

Forum Member

So to those who have taken the test: what is the HR that they use to determine when the test will stop? Do they have one HR for all M/F or does it depend on your age, height, etc?

I read somewhere else that they go off of double your Resting heart rate which will be bad for me because my RHR is usually in the mid 40's so then my 'max' according to their standards (assuming the double theory is correct) will be in the mid 80's

Forum Member

So to those who have taken the test: what is the HR that they use to determine when the test will stop? Do they have one HR for all M/F or does it depend on your age, height, etc?

I read somewhere else that they go off of double your Resting heart rate which will be bad for me because my RHR is usually in the mid 40's so then my 'max' according to their standards (assuming the double theory is correct) will be in the mid 80's
    The test is completed at 11 minutes. It is not completed based on HR or anything else unless you grab the rails or ask to be stopped.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neano View Post
    The test is completed at 11 minutes. It is not completed based on HR or anything else unless you grab the rails or ask to be stopped.
    Cool. Thanks for that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenChild View Post
    sounds like college apartment set up

each room has own bathroom and common areas are shared

Forum Member

cannot talk for austin, but we try to contact as many people as possible. We understand businesses are not there anymore, supervisors have moved on, some businesses will only state "yes they worked here"

It is just away of finding out more info on a person, sometimes we find it and sometimes we do not.

Not to may people have we dq on past work history, normally crimminal activity, driving record that people do not report.

SHould have added it takes awhile to call or visit all the people/ businesses, especailly for a 100 or so applicants
    Last edited by fire5555; 02-12-2015 at 04:41 PM.

Forum Member

In case of that, I emailed them asking if it was helpful/appropriate to provide them with additional contact methods for supervisors at this time as the background is concluding. I'm hoping they will inform me a bit on what's left. My employment was verified originally too but not sure about them reaching my supervisors.

They said no more info needed, that the psychologist will only compare background screening info with any supervisor they contact, and that if any other info is needed they will contact us directly. Sounds good to me.
    Jprz.51 likes this.

Forum Member

They said no more info needed, that the psychologist will only compare background screening info with any supervisor they contact, and that if any other info is needed they will contact us directly. Sounds good to me.
    wrttx your research has been incredibly useful through this whole thing! from the candidate rankings to this, you're awesome.

Remind me to buy you a drink or lunch when we get out of the academy!
    wrttx likes this.

Forum Member

Just curious if they documented all your tattoos during the medical. I heard that some departments do that now.

Thread Information