Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCKbubba34 View Post
    I was told by a friend on the department that has knowledge of it I guess. He said she wanted to get the ball rolling on the SAFER grant and requested to hire 36 off the old lists now since they aren't expired yet and then continue with this upcoming list in January. But the union denied it. It just seems a little odd that the interviews ended a month ago but are "delayed" by a third party vendor and will be posted hopefully next Friday. Really? It's all computerized it's not hard to send a file.
    I don't get it... Is the SAFER grant the 5.1 million dollar grant the city got, and what's up with this old list?? I saw the old list on the website but how is that still valid when some of those people off that list are going through the process again. I thought the grant might add to the 120 from this class.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by txstateguy View Post
    I don't get it... Is the SAFER grant the 5.1 million dollar grant the city got, and what's up with this old list?? I saw the old list on the website but how is that still valid when some of those people off that list are going through the process again. I thought the grant might add to the 120 from this class.
    The SAFER grant allows the city to hire an additional 36 firefighters on top of what they already need. the city needs to spend that money so they can put 4 personnel on every apparatus. The list from last year is still good until Nov 2012. It doesn't matter if those guys are going through the process again, they would just come off of the current list that the city is generating. If they only hire off the new list, the pool of cadets will need to be higher than the 120 that are moving on in the process for this year. I think that is what is delaying the list coming out. They are trying to figure out how many will move on since their hiring needs/capabilities just went up.

in the end, this is good news for all of us trying to get hired. The city will be hiring a lot of FFs, and hopefully we will be in that pool!

Hopefully just one more week!
    BigRed2011 likes this.

Forum Member

Last edited by oakleyfire144; 11-22-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Forum Member

I see... That's interesting, hopefully we hear back soon and the number of firefighters needed increases regardless of which list bc that will help everyone's chances. I wonder what list they would pull from. The fire cadet or fire senior cadet list??

Forum Member

Supposedly they will not be pulling from the previous lists but the negotiations probably didn't end soon enough which is why I think the list was delayed. And also I emailed them and asked if they were going to be changing the CPAT orientation start date (8/20) due to the delay and they said no, which gives me the feeling they will post before the 17th to allow for people to make arrangements to attend.

Forum Member

Last edited by oakleyfire144; 11-22-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Forum Member

That's because there was only like 2 minorities in the class of 40 seniors. Doesn't meet Austin's quota

Forum Member

Alright, so be honest. Is everyone else hitting refresh about every 5 minutes on the AFD webpage hoping for the scores to be posted too?

Forum Member

Brockrocks you are showing quite the restraint! I'm averaging easily once every 3 minutes... I wish they wouldn't have said on or before the 17th!

Forum Member

ok, so since we have some time to kill...supposing those of us make the top 120. we take the cpat. does anyone have an idea of what all the medical exams entail? v02 max test? stress test?

Forum Member

It's basically just like a full physical with your doctor, a treadmill stress test and hearing, vision etc.

Forum Member

Has anyone else been asked, "Dude, why do you want to go inside burning buildings so badly?" lol

Forum Member

Last edited by oakleyfire144; 11-22-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Forum Member

The list is up! But I'm not moving on this time

Forum Member

Me either, but fortunately I received a conditional offer of employment from one of my other top departments last week. So I wasn't going to be able to continue on with this process anyway. Good luck to those who made the top 120

Forum Member

Same here, I did a lot worse than I thought I did. I swear I had it in the bag!
    mrhyde24 likes this.

Forum Member

Last edited by oakleyfire144; 11-22-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    mrhyde24 and longhorn2008 like this.

Are people ever contacted if they fall just outside of the 120 range? Any people with experience that can chime in? Thanks!

Forum Member

So how many from the list should we expect to get hired? Is the city planning on doing two classes of 40? I'm ranked around 60th on the current list so I'm guessing I won't be part of the class of that starts the academy in January if they only take the top 40. Does anyone know when the second class of the year typically starts?

Also, congrats to every moving on and best of luck those who weren't so fortunate.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MQuinones View Post
    Are people ever contacted if they fall just outside of the 120 range? Any people with experience that can chime in? Thanks!
    I think they take the top 120 to give them a cushion because some individuals will fail the remaining tests. They usually do 2, 40 classes per year.

Thread Information