Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Austin Fire Exam, May 23rd 2012

Forum Member

I'm actually reconsidering taking the written exam w/ AFD. I know AFD uses I/O solutions as their written exam. After taking Houston's written exam (Houston used FST, a behavior/personality based exam similar to I/O solutions), I want avoid taking another behavior/personality based written exam.

Forum Member

Austin also combines that with your interview score. I believe 2/3 Interview and 1/3 test score. Last year the top 1500 test scores moved on to interviews. Several people made it to the top 120 with only a written test score in the 70's. They did well in the interview and their combined score was enough. Also think about different departments may use the same test yet score the behavior/personality portion differently so it reflects the type of answers other members in their department would answer it.

Forum Member

The behavior/personality questions left a nasty taste. How do departments "grade" an individuals answer when there is no right or wrong answer.

Forum Member

I don't have a definite answer, but they are trying to find others who would fit in with their department. You may not have answered the Houston test like most of the members of their department would have. Yet for another city you could do very well on the test. I have taken more than a handful of different types of fire tests and a few times haven't gotten an interview because I didn't fit their mold. It is just a part of the game.

Forum Member

Anybody know how many they hiring this go around?

Forum Member

Does anybody know how many retire each year from the department?

Forum Member

Sounds like 40-80 per year.

Forum Member

Applications due April 7-10.
    Written exams May 13.
    SOI TBD, expected summer 2013.

The one thing that's caught me off guard on the process summary is "9. Treadmill Fitness Evaluation (Pass/Fail) Candidates will be tested on their general physical fitness by participating in a timed treadmill test." Don't remember seeing this on last year's process. Anyone know what that might entail? I can run for days but I'm not particularly fast so I'm concerned I might need to start training for speed so a silly treadmill doesn't crush my dreams.

Forum Member

I received an email stating that there are fewer people trying out this year. Does anybody know why? How does the lateral hiring processes work?
    Last edited by psilent_child; 04-13-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Where did the email come from? I've seen lateral hiring in the past down there but this time I don't think they're offering that as an option. Definitely can't find any info on it.

Quote Originally Posted by psilent_child View Post
    I received an email stating that there are fewer people trying out this year. Does anybody know why? How does the lateral hiring processes work?

Forum Member

They're not doing Laterals I got an email from their Chief last week it's only new testing which sucks if you have time somewhere else. I don't know about fewer people trying out though I wonder why.

Forum Member

I think people were discouraged by the structural interviews is why the numbers are much lower this year. That's the main reason I decided not to sign up this year. I really thought I did extremely well during the interview process then I saw my score...
    Brockrocks likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by UPCFire View Post
    They're not doing Laterals I got an email from their Chief last week it's only new testing which sucks if you have time somewhere else. I don't know about fewer people trying out though I wonder why.

Interesting Wonder why

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by iizshawn View Post
    I think people were discouraged by the structural interviews is why the numbers are much lower this year. That's the main reason I decided not to sign up this year. I really thought I did extremely well during the interview process then I saw my score...
    Explain please, I'm still trying to decide if I should come 665 miles or not. I'm already certified with 10+ years experience.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilent_child View Post
    Explain please, I'm still trying to decide if I should come 665 miles or not. I'm already certified with 10+ years experience.
    The interviews are basically based on scenarios that they want to hear how you would handle the situations. Everyone in the process is asked the same questions. Your answers are based on a point system that they have listed on their rating systems. The points are also based on how effectively you give your answers, eye contact, and so and so.

I'm pretty good at scenario based questions and basically spent the full amount of time answering each question thoroughly, but when I saw my score it basically made me WTF...

An example would be like "what would you do if you saw another firefighter stealing from a victim's house?"

Forum Member

I'm in the same boat as you I have 3 years experience in a major metropolitan fire dept (tired of threats of layoffs and furloughs). I work with a guy who went and tested there last time around but I haven't talked to him about it yet. Yet i'm sure I know what it's all about. I tested in Minneapolis and scored a 95 and a 97 plus veteran points and didn't get invited for an interview so I'm pretty sure I know what every fire department in the country is looking for they're looking for. Just go dude and do your best they wanna play hiring games it just opens up opportunities for lawsuits (hence New Orleans, Chicago, Oakland, St louis, New Haven, NYC, etc.)

Forum Member

18 years old and 15 hours of college, how long of line do you think there will be to test??

prior experience does not help, till maybe you get to interviews

check weekly::

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

Arlington requires less

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: •High School diploma or equivalent •Nineteen years of age (by April 28, 2014) •Valid Class C Driver’s License

Forum Member

They're definitely using a different test this year. Did a rideout last week and they confirmed that last year's written test wasn't being used and that it'd likely be the same one as in Houston, which I've heard is at about a 6th grade level and super easy to score a 100% on. Not sure I like that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aliciaaaaah View Post
    They're definitely using a different test this year. Did a rideout last week and they confirmed that last year's written test wasn't being used and that it'd likely be the same one as in Houston, which I've heard is at about a 6th grade level and super easy to score a 100% on. Not sure I like that.
    If it's anything like this years Houston test, there won't be many people making a 100 on it since no one made a perfect score out of 1200 testers. There's going to be a lot of people who won't be finishing the test in time since it is very time consuming. I finished my test with 10 minutes to spare and there was still a ton of people still trying to complete the test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by iizshawn View Post
    Same here. I thought I did well on the interview, ended up ranking in the 190s. I think interviewing 1500 is bit too much. I can see 300 or even 500, but 1500 just seems overboard. Regardless, I am still signing up until I get in.

Forum Member

guess they have to keep the motto going:::

http://www.outhousedesigns.com/onlin...oducts_id=1090

Forum Member

I'm coming 665 miles via bus. How far are some of you having to travel?

Forum Member

I'm right here in Austin...

Forum Member

500 but thats not bad, straight shot across 10

Forum Member

So does anyone know how many testing this go around?

Thread Information