Forum Member

Default What would you tell your children?

What would you say to your child if he/she wanted to become a VFF? Would you support it? Would you support it if you had never been in the fire department?
    Keep my mouth shut and ears open.
    Never forget 9/11/01, RIP Uncle James Ruggiero.

Forum Member

VFF ? Very -funny -feller ? I would proably tell them to get off the computer and quit trying to be a one week wonder.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    VFF ? Very -funny -feller ? I would proably tell them to get off the computer and quit trying to be a one week wonder.
    This, and that probies (especially probies who arent even officially probies yet) should be seen and not heard.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I helped my son get into our volunteer department. After a stint in the Air Force he's a career firefighter with the Navy in the DC area.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Pretty funny, you're a regular Jerry Seinfeld.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFeinberg View Post
    Listen man, you might feel like you're getting picked on, but if you can't stand some ball-busting from the forum members, you're going to have a really rough time in the firehouse.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

And you are going to be real popular on your FD if you are this obnoxious and not even a member yet. Your signature line speaks volumes about you. Add to that your comments on other topics that you have no real world or book learning knowledge of. A simple lesson for you, you have one mouth and 2 ears. Why? Because you are supposed to listen at LEAST twice as much as you speak.

Now to the question you had here...I encouraged my kids to do and be whatever they wanted to. One followed me into the fire service and the other has no interest in it at all.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    And you are going to be real popular on your FD if you are this obnoxious and not even a member yet. Your signature line speaks volumes about you. Add to that your comments on other topics that you have no real world or book learning knowledge of. A simple lesson for you, you have one mouth and 2 ears. Why? Because you are supposed to listen at LEAST twice as much as you speak.

Now to the question you had here...I encouraged my kids to do and be whatever they wanted to. One followed me into the fire service and the other has no interest in it at all.
    I know all about listening, as far as being a probie goes, my mouth doesn't move unless it asks a question or says thanks.

I was only giving back a comment to that specific member for repeatedly harassing me on each post I make on several threads.

I do have a little book knowledge (as I am reading up) and my neighbor is the ex-captain who has been mentoring me a bit. But that still means I have .0000001 % of what I should barely know. I know that, hence why I put in my signature that I can still have an opinion even though I may not know much.

I know and expect to get my balls busted from other members, it comes with the job. Don't mind it all, just not repeated harassment from someone who has nothing better to do.

MembersZone Subscriber

No issues with either of my children joining the fire department. We have several families that have been involved in the department for a long time and in general people are very supportive of members kids coming by and spending time there.

Right now, my daughter is starting to show some interest, and if she decides she wants to join when she is old enough, I will support her.

Forum Member

I know all about listening, as far as being a probie goes, my mouth doesn't move unless it asks a question or says thanks.

I was only giving back a comment to that specific member for repeatedly harassing me on each post I make on several threads.

I do have a little book knowledge (as I am reading up) and my neighbor is the ex-captain who has been mentoring me a bit. But that still means I have .0000001 % of what I should barely know. I know that, hence why I put in my signature that I can still have an opinion even though I may not know much.

I know and expect to get my balls busted from other members, it comes with the job. Don't mind it all, just not repeated harassment from someone who has nothing better to do.

Stay in High School, graduate and then go see a Recruiter for the military and enlist for several years.

This will help you more than you ever thought. You might find your callling in the military and make it your career.

Until then stop trying to tell veterans firefighters about the fire service.

WE don't want to hear it, as you can't say anything we haven't heard before.

IF you do get into the fire service, they will days on end that you'll get your balls busted by everyone from the top to the probie who came in before you.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Like I said, I expect it and welcome for it to happen. It comes with the job. And of course I would keep my mouth shut at the firehouse unless I say please or thank you. Plus I wouldn't be joining until after graduation.

Forum Member

Like I said, I expect it and welcome for it to happen. It comes with the job. And of course I would keep my mouth shut at the firehouse unless I say please or thank you. Plus I wouldn't be joining until after graduation.
    Now that is some funny stuff.

Dude, if you can't keep your yap shut here, and you can't stop commenting on things you know nothing about here, and you can't stop arguing with people here who have more years in the fire service than you have alive...you are clearly protraying exactly what type of person you are, and exactly how you will react in the fire station when a senior man says something to you that you don't like or agree with.

You better grow up and change your attitude real quick, because no one is hurting your chances but you.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Now that is some funny stuff.

Dude, if you can't keep your yap shut here, and you can't stop commenting on things you know nothing about here, and you can't stop arguing with people here who have more years in the fire service than you have alive...you are clearly protraying exactly what type of person you are, and exactly how you will react in the fire station when a senior man says something to you that you don't like or agree with.

You better grow up and change your attitude real quick, because no one is hurting your chances but you.
    True, but then again I don't know why I should have to deal with harassment on here, when you are behind a computer. There is something called respect and high moral character, offering advice and help, not just putting someone down and belittling them because you feel like typing something to mess with people.

Forum Member

What would you say to your child if he/she wanted to become a VFF? Would you support it? Would you support it if you had never been in the fire department?
    So let me ask you why are you asking this question? Are your parents not supporting your wish to be a VFF? I have two girls BTW, one just wouldn't be suited for it, the other I don't think would be interested anyway.

Forum Member

True, but then again I don't know why I should have to deal with harassment on here, when you are behind a computer. There is something called respect and high moral character, offering advice and help, not just putting someone down and belittling them because you feel like typing something to mess with people.
    You still don't get it. YOU brought all this on yourself with your attitude and arguing. YOU are solely responsible for how you were, and are, being treated.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Im currently a volly and going through school to be career and my folks couldnt be prouder, my dads not a firefighter but his was a volly, im glad i got into it i had no idea what i wanted to do with myself til i started.

Forum Member

As long as you live in my house and I pay the bills

Go to school get good grades, and would see from there, with the idea I can pull the plug anytime

Forum Member

I would support any of my children if they wanted to join. I joined because FD saved my youngest daughter's life when she was two. I am just repaying the favor.

Forum Member

Majority of my family has been in public service (Gov., Law Enforcement & Fire), and even though they may not act like they support it, they understand deep down. Would they be supporting you verbally/morale wise or financially? If financially, then go make your own money to pay for it, that's what I'm doing.

Forum Member

I'd absolutely support it. not only is it a great experience, and a wonderful feeling at the end of the day- it's a right and honorable thing to do.

You meet some great people, and get the opportunity to help others who are likely having the worst day of their lives.

I'd advise him or her to steer clear of all the b.s. and internal politics, and focus on being the best they possibly can at the job. Leave the rumor mongering etc to those with no lives.

Forum Member

I supported my son when he expressed interest, but stayed clear of his training so he could develop as his own person in the department. At our first structure fire together, he was put on a line at a window venting smoke while I went into the attic to hit hot spots. He joked to the others that he thought it was very unfair the old guys have all the fun. His training officer explained that the old guys know what they are doing...He wasn't whining, just venting the rush from the first time for real. Because of college he isn't as active now, but I'm looking at recruiting grandchildren if they feel the urge.

Thread Information