1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    49

    Default What would you tell your children?

    What would you say to your child if he/she wanted to become a VFF? Would you support it? Would you support it if you had never been in the fire department?
    Keep my mouth shut and ears open.
    Never forget 9/11/01, RIP Uncle James Ruggiero.

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,036

    Default

    VFF ? Very -funny -feller ? I would proably tell them to get off the computer and quit trying to be a one week wonder.
    ?

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    VFF ? Very -funny -feller ? I would proably tell them to get off the computer and quit trying to be a one week wonder.
    This, and that probies (especially probies who arent even officially probies yet) should be seen and not heard.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,292

    Default

    I helped my son get into our volunteer department. After a stint in the Air Force he's a career firefighter with the Navy in the DC area.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    VFF ? Very -funny -feller ? I would proably tell them to get off the computer and quit trying to be a one week wonder.
    Pretty funny, you're a regular Jerry Seinfeld.
    Keep my mouth shut and ears open.
    Never forget 9/11/01, RIP Uncle James Ruggiero.

  6. #6
    Let's talk fire trucks!
    BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFeinberg View Post
    Pretty funny, you're a regular Jerry Seinfeld.
    Listen man, you might feel like you're getting picked on, but if you can't stand some ball-busting from the forum members, you're going to have a really rough time in the firehouse.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFeinberg View Post
    Pretty funny, you're a regular Jerry Seinfeld.
    And you are going to be real popular on your FD if you are this obnoxious and not even a member yet. Your signature line speaks volumes about you. Add to that your comments on other topics that you have no real world or book learning knowledge of. A simple lesson for you, you have one mouth and 2 ears. Why? Because you are supposed to listen at LEAST twice as much as you speak.

    Now to the question you had here...I encouraged my kids to do and be whatever they wanted to. One followed me into the fire service and the other has no interest in it at all.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    And you are going to be real popular on your FD if you are this obnoxious and not even a member yet. Your signature line speaks volumes about you. Add to that your comments on other topics that you have no real world or book learning knowledge of. A simple lesson for you, you have one mouth and 2 ears. Why? Because you are supposed to listen at LEAST twice as much as you speak.

    Now to the question you had here...I encouraged my kids to do and be whatever they wanted to. One followed me into the fire service and the other has no interest in it at all.
    I know all about listening, as far as being a probie goes, my mouth doesn't move unless it asks a question or says thanks.

    I was only giving back a comment to that specific member for repeatedly harassing me on each post I make on several threads.

    I do have a little book knowledge (as I am reading up) and my neighbor is the ex-captain who has been mentoring me a bit. But that still means I have .0000001 % of what I should barely know. I know that, hence why I put in my signature that I can still have an opinion even though I may not know much.

    I know and expect to get my balls busted from other members, it comes with the job. Don't mind it all, just not repeated harassment from someone who has nothing better to do.
    Keep my mouth shut and ears open.
    Never forget 9/11/01, RIP Uncle James Ruggiero.

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Lusby, MD
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    No issues with either of my children joining the fire department. We have several families that have been involved in the department for a long time and in general people are very supportive of members kids coming by and spending time there.

    Right now, my daughter is starting to show some interest, and if she decides she wants to join when she is old enough, I will support her.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFeinberg View Post
    I know all about listening, as far as being a probie goes, my mouth doesn't move unless it asks a question or says thanks.

    I was only giving back a comment to that specific member for repeatedly harassing me on each post I make on several threads.

    I do have a little book knowledge (as I am reading up) and my neighbor is the ex-captain who has been mentoring me a bit. But that still means I have .0000001 % of what I should barely know. I know that, hence why I put in my signature that I can still have an opinion even though I may not know much.

    I know and expect to get my balls busted from other members, it comes with the job. Don't mind it all, just not repeated harassment from someone who has nothing better to do.


    Stay in High School, graduate and then go see a Recruiter for the military and enlist for several years.

    This will help you more than you ever thought. You might find your callling in the military and make it your career.

    Until then stop trying to tell veterans firefighters about the fire service.

    WE don't want to hear it, as you can't say anything we haven't heard before.

    IF you do get into the fire service, they will days on end that you'll get your balls busted by everyone from the top to the probie who came in before you.



    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Like I said, I expect it and welcome for it to happen. It comes with the job. And of course I would keep my mouth shut at the firehouse unless I say please or thank you. Plus I wouldn't be joining until after graduation.
    Keep my mouth shut and ears open.
    Never forget 9/11/01, RIP Uncle James Ruggiero.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFeinberg View Post
    Like I said, I expect it and welcome for it to happen. It comes with the job. And of course I would keep my mouth shut at the firehouse unless I say please or thank you. Plus I wouldn't be joining until after graduation.
    Now that is some funny stuff.

    Dude, if you can't keep your yap shut here, and you can't stop commenting on things you know nothing about here, and you can't stop arguing with people here who have more years in the fire service than you have alive...you are clearly protraying exactly what type of person you are, and exactly how you will react in the fire station when a senior man says something to you that you don't like or agree with.

    You better grow up and change your attitude real quick, because no one is hurting your chances but you.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Now that is some funny stuff.

    Dude, if you can't keep your yap shut here, and you can't stop commenting on things you know nothing about here, and you can't stop arguing with people here who have more years in the fire service than you have alive...you are clearly protraying exactly what type of person you are, and exactly how you will react in the fire station when a senior man says something to you that you don't like or agree with.

    You better grow up and change your attitude real quick, because no one is hurting your chances but you.
    True, but then again I don't know why I should have to deal with harassment on here, when you are behind a computer. There is something called respect and high moral character, offering advice and help, not just putting someone down and belittling them because you feel like typing something to mess with people.
    Keep my mouth shut and ears open.
    Never forget 9/11/01, RIP Uncle James Ruggiero.

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFeinberg View Post
    What would you say to your child if he/she wanted to become a VFF? Would you support it? Would you support it if you had never been in the fire department?
    So let me ask you why are you asking this question? Are your parents not supporting your wish to be a VFF? I have two girls BTW, one just wouldn't be suited for it, the other I don't think would be interested anyway.

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFeinberg View Post
    True, but then again I don't know why I should have to deal with harassment on here, when you are behind a computer. There is something called respect and high moral character, offering advice and help, not just putting someone down and belittling them because you feel like typing something to mess with people.
    You still don't get it. YOU brought all this on yourself with your attitude and arguing. YOU are solely responsible for how you were, and are, being treated.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    MissouriRebel11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kingsville MO
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Im currently a volly and going through school to be career and my folks couldnt be prouder, my dads not a firefighter but his was a volly, im glad i got into it i had no idea what i wanted to do with myself til i started.

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    texas usa
    Posts
    207

    Default

    As long as you live in my house and I pay the bills

    Go to school get good grades, and would see from there, with the idea I can pull the plug anytime

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    BrianB35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Belleville,MI
    Posts
    309

    Default

    I would support any of my children if they wanted to join. I joined because FD saved my youngest daughter's life when she was two. I am just repaying the favor.

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    Matt_W_Evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Majority of my family has been in public service (Gov., Law Enforcement & Fire), and even though they may not act like they support it, they understand deep down. Would they be supporting you verbally/morale wise or financially? If financially, then go make your own money to pay for it, that's what I'm doing.

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    224

    Default

    I'd absolutely support it. not only is it a great experience, and a wonderful feeling at the end of the day- it's a right and honorable thing to do.

    You meet some great people, and get the opportunity to help others who are likely having the worst day of their lives.

    I'd advise him or her to steer clear of all the b.s. and internal politics, and focus on being the best they possibly can at the job. Leave the rumor mongering etc to those with no lives.

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    32

    Default

    I supported my son when he expressed interest, but stayed clear of his training so he could develop as his own person in the department. At our first structure fire together, he was put on a line at a window venting smoke while I went into the attic to hit hot spots. He joked to the others that he thought it was very unfair the old guys have all the fun. His training officer explained that the old guys know what they are doing...He wasn't whining, just venting the rush from the first time for real. Because of college he isn't as active now, but I'm looking at recruiting grandchildren if they feel the urge.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Children deaths
    By amar20007 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 02:39 PM
  2. Children in iraq
    By pengman in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2005, 01:52 AM
  3. 4 children die in SD fire
    By toddman in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 10:20 AM
  4. Children not buckled in.
    By firemark in forum Fire Prevention and Life Safety
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-28-2002, 01:05 AM
  5. What about the children?
    By RedHeadLady195 in forum Line of Duty: In Memory Of
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2001, 04:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register