Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    ...Bones, 2 stations for 1.5 miles? Also, are the members allowed to stay at the station if they want during non-storm times?
    Yes, separated by rail road tracks. ISO has wanted 3 engines and 1 ladder in the town for their ratings...neither building is large enough to hold all that apparatus. Each station is it's own separate company and each owns their own firehouse. We "rent" space to the Town for them to park their trucks in. Company officers are Deputy Chief down. Department wide officers are Assistant Chief and Chief. All calls are dispatched for the Department, with both companies responding.

Also note...that 1.5 sq miles will be full of 40-60k people on a weekend and become a large parking lot...going 2 blocks can take more time than imaginable.

Company 1 started in 1885 and was the first fire company in Ocean County. Company 2 started ~1915 I believe. The town itself wasn't incorporated as a town until 1886, which is why company 1 is Ocean Fire Company #1 and not Point Pleasant Beach Company #1.....there was no PPB!

As for staying...guys are free to spend as much time as they want there...but no sleeping qtrs in either building. During the summer...you'll notice the bay doors open more and guys sitting out front admiring the beauty of nature walking by..
    Last edited by Bones42; 02-13-2012 at 08:50 AM.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

For night time and evening calls the first rig is usually out of the station within 3 minutes of the page with the second usually seconds behind. During the day most of our members are out of town at their jobs so its usually about 5 minutes from the time of the page for the first out and its usually understaffed, second out is generally a couple minutes behind that and wether or not we can send any more is a crapshoot.

Forum Member

We all respond directly to the station and are alerted by Min 5 pagers. We cover 185 sq miles out of 1 station with 28 members. Mix of city and rural. Last year we ran around 240 calls which are all fire/rescue. No EMS.

Forum Member

Everybody in my department responds from home, unless we are at the station for our weekly meetings or training of some sort. We have a very small district, so when we do get calls at night, we usually have 3 or 4 members on that call.

Forum Member

My Rural dept is POC. We have pagers and respond to the station for calls. However depending on the call, I may go directly to the scene. If it's an MVA or medical call I'll go to the scene if it's in an area where I can be first in. I'm a Paramedic so I have an aid bag and I have some extinguishers I can throw in the Jeep if it's an MVA. I also have a set of nomex coveralls I can wear. We're not supposed to respond to a scene directly if we would pass the station or be near it. But if it's a medical run and the first in medic (Ambulance, full time 3rd service) is tied up or coming from a distance I'll go to the scene if I don't make the truck since I'm a paramedic and only half our guys are EMT basics.

Forum Member

Combo Department ..

Almost all home response except for the paid duty staff at our Central Station.

We beds for 4 riders at our Central Station, which are generally filled every night.

4 of our 5 volunteer stations have mobile homes which are occupied by 1-2 volunteers as their residence. They put in 45 hours of scheduled duty time per week in exchange for the roof over their heads. They are expected to get up for all structure fires and alarms in the whole district, vehicle and brush fires in their and neighboring zones, and EMS calls in their response zones.

Volunteer Department ....

All home response.

New station will have a bunk room as part of Phase II (2-3 years).
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 02-14-2012 at 08:53 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Home responce, we dont have any living quarters but there is the occasional POV responce to the scene

Forum Member

We respond from home or work to the station. We have no sleeping quarters in our station. We cover a town of about 2000 people and that is it. We have a 20 member roster with a lot of our calls being EMS assists. We run about 50-60 calls per year. During the day our turnout can be pretty light because over half our department have jobs that require traveling or work out of town like myself. I work in a larger town about 12 miles away but I generally try still go on most of the calls just incase even though it usually takes me 15-20 minutes to get to the station then to the scene.

Myself and about 15 of us that are on the City Department are also members of the Rural Department that has a station in town, That department covers about 300 square miles with a major interstate running through the middle of our territory. We run about 70-80 calls per year with the majority being grass fires and MVA's. We respond directly to the station unless its a MVA between where we are comming from and the station. We get a pretty good turnout for that department unless we are paged as a Bale fire....nobody likes those! Our Rural Department has around 20 Members. We are notified my Motorolla Pagers.

If I am working I try and drive over for the Majority of calls during the day just because of our limited manpower and since the majority of us run on two departments it leaves us pretty short if our rural department has something at the far end of our territory.

Thread Information