Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Virginia Beach 2012

Thumbs up Virginia Beach 2012

Open application period was from Feb 10th - 13th. Any one else apply?

Forum Member

Way to selfishly start this thread after the application period closes. Maybe some people would have applied if they knew about it. Being selfish has no part in the fire service.

Selfish? If I was being so selfish, I believe I wouldn't have added two additional job postings that are still open. Sorry that I didn't have time to post the job listing. If you're actively looking for a fire service job, then the Firehouse forums shouldn't be your only source. This job was posted and announced heavily over a lot of additional resources online. I'm not on here to argue. I was simply posting this thread to see who else applied (and I'm sure there are others who have and didn't bother making a post) and start discussion about it.

A lot of large urban department will have a short window for applications. Reason being, it eliminates that entire bunch are "just apply" for the heck of it.

Usually the guys who are looking for jobs in a particular area are checking web site and newspapers every day to see what department may be taking applications. Those in the know usually are the ones who will get in before the deadline.

It isn't the end of the world. Other Norfolk VA, Tidewater area, area departments will be taking applications one day.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Ncoliva1200, I applied first thing Friday morning! I have been waiting for the VA Beach to open up! Good luck to you, hopefully we will finish strong. Stay safe brother

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhoe71 View Post
    Ncoliva1200, I applied first thing Friday morning! I have been waiting for the VA Beach to open up! Good luck to you, hopefully we will finish strong. Stay safe brother
    Same here! I applied last year, but was kind of turned off by the "firefighter lottery" that took place so I withdrew my application. After hearing from people who work within the department and reading more into it, I regretted that decision tremendously. They had a lot of retirements this year. Good luck to you as well, brother!
    “The garbage man doesn’t get excited when he turns the corner and sees trash. You shouldn’t get excited either; you should be expecting fire on every run.” - FDNY Lt. Andrew Fredericks

Forum Member

I also applied on the 10th. Looking forward to this process.. for one of the reasons being that, the window to apply was so short.. HOPEFULLY it cut down the competition just a bit.

Forum Member

Did anyone from out of state apply? I'm still trying to decide if i wanna fork out the money to travel. Just throwing it out there, has anyone thought about sharing a room to save some money?

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorT View Post
    Did anyone from out of state apply? I'm still trying to decide if i wanna fork out the money to travel. Just throwing it out there, has anyone thought about sharing a room to save some money?
    Yeah, I did... from Western PA. Trackhoe71 is from Eastern PA, I believe. I actually have a old room mate who is now a police officer in VA Beach, so I plan on staying with him. Don't worry, I'm still debating on forking out the money too, I figured I'd at least get the application in to give me more time to get some cash together if I decide to take the trip.
    “The garbage man doesn’t get excited when he turns the corner and sees trash. You shouldn’t get excited either; you should be expecting fire on every run.” - FDNY Lt. Andrew Fredericks

Forum Member

Hey guys, I applied and Im heading to Virginia Beach from New York. I had got an academy date for FDNY but Im sure you all know about the legal issues up here so Im in definitive limbo right now. Do to the unfortunate events up here I decided to take VBFD's test because my parents live in the area. Any idea on how many guys they hire and how many people take the exam? Also, does a paramedic certification carry any weight? I know up here the city usually will hire 2500ish off of a list of 40,000 and they could care less what kind of experience you have so I was curious. Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorT View Post
    Yes I did... Im applying from MI :0... maybe a group of us can bunk in a hotel room together.. I just recieved my email for my written test. Thursday Mar. 22nd, @ 9am.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just received my time 9am Thursday. Trying to convinve the wife to go down for a few days. Good luck to everyone.

Forum Member

I'm gonna take a look at the cost of a flight this weekend and make a decision. I'm interested in saving some money, so ill keep you posted.

Got my letter for Thursday, March 22 @ 0900 hrs.

Any idea on how many applied?

Forum Member

1,100 or so applied in the four days it was open.

Forum Member

Dan, just curious; where did you get 1,100 from?

Forum Member

That was the number given by Fire HR.

Forum Member

Anyone know how many of those actually take the written/physical agility. In NY the percentage is high but thats because its all people from the area but VBFD has no residency requirement so I feel people from all over the country sign up and a lot don't show for the process. Also how many do they hire historically and how long is the list good for? Thanks for any help.
    FDNY Exam 6019 List# 14XX.
    Lawsuit Victim: Completed process, cancelled academy.

FDNY Exam 2000 List# 6XX.

Forum Member

I just took myself out of the process. I'm from out of state and unfortunately San Diegos test is the following day. I wouldnt be surprised if the number drops below 1000. Flights and hotel were gonna run $450+. Good luck to everyone.

Thread Information