Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Member

Anybody have so more info about the dept.? Would like to talk to maybe an current member. Im appling looks like a hell of a chance with a good FD.

Quote Originally Posted by FFEMTlieut804 View Post
    Anybody have so more info about the dept.? Would like to talk to maybe an current member. Im appling looks like a hell of a chance with a good FD.
    Check your inbox. As far as I know of, the city is in Act 47 distress. Not sure what that means for the future of all future hires, etc... but I too would like some input from someone familiar with the situation and the dept. Check out their website also; you'll find tons of info.
    “The garbage man doesn’t get excited when he turns the corner and sees trash. You shouldn’t get excited either; you should be expecting fire on every run.” - FDNY Lt. Andrew Fredericks

Forum Member

As of last Friday only 76 people have applied so far. And from what i hear, they are looking to hire 10 right of the bat.

Wow! Looks like good odds.
    “The garbage man doesn’t get excited when he turns the corner and sees trash. You shouldn’t get excited either; you should be expecting fire on every run.” - FDNY Lt. Andrew Fredericks

Forum Member

Wow good odds any ideas on what study guides to use? Any guys who are on the job can you provide input on the department: morale,training,promotions etc

Around 150 applicants as of last Friday. Application period closes this week.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rice View Post
    Wow good odds any ideas on what study guides to use? Any guys who are on the job can you provide input on the department: morale,training,promotions etc
    Here is the ACT 47 Recovery plan, gives you a good idea of the Department.

http://www.readingpa.gov/documents/a...overy_plan.pdf
    Last edited by TFD-PIPEMAN; 03-05-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Spelling

Forum Member

So does anybody have any idea what is going to be on the test.. IE what should we be studying? or do we just show and wing it?

Forum Member

Can anyone clarify exactly how Fire/EMS works in Reading. I've spent some time reading their site and trying to clarify the information, my confusion is where the site says that Paramedic/Firefighters will be assigned an EMS unit after completion of recruit school.

Do they work like some departments where you do one or two years on the medic and then when openings are available can get transferred to an engine company or coming on as a paramedic are you assigned to ride a box for your career?

Thanks for any information in advance.

Forum Member

As of today, PM/FF's are permanently assigned to a medic unit. They are allowed to work OT on fire apparatus as their training and qualifications progress.

Forum Member

So what of you are a PM however test as a EMT? Once otj would you ever be detailed? Or supression only?

Forum Member

Supposedly, the city is looking to hire 11 for suppression and 1 medic. Not sure how the lists are going to play out. If it's one combined list and you're the first medic on the list at #50, you would be offered the medic job. If you're a medic in the top 11, I'd assume you'll be hired for suppression. Jumpers (guys on shifts, not assigned to a piece) may be detailed to a medic truck depending on who's off and what the staffing on any particular day is. OT is available on either side, but will obviously be much less once new hires are out on the street.

Forum Member

Well 53fire, hopefully the test works out the way you think it may. It would be discouraging at best to test well enough to be in the top running for a position and not be considered because only one medic slot is being filled.

Forum Member

How does everyone feel about the test? That was a decent size turnout today

Forum Member

Straight forward exam, I had never personally taken that companies exam but no complaints. I spoke to someone there at the test that said it was only about a third of the turnout they had for the last test which should be beneficial!

I spoke with the Lt. who was proctoring the exam after the test, he said 11 FF/EMT spots and 1 FF/Medic. If the SAFER grant is awarded to them those numbers will increase to 19 and 9 respectively. Scheduled start date for the academy is June 25th so the rest of the process should be a whirlwind!

Good luck to everyone.

Forum Member

Took that kind of test at least one other time. Thought the turn out was good. Was talking to a guy that was a vet seems that there was a good number of them. Well good luck.

Did the Lieutenant say if he had any idea when they'd hear about the SAFER grant? Should be a quick process if they want to start the academy in June.

Forum Member

He implied that they don't know when to expect to hear about the grant, but he hopes prior to the academy start date to avoid having to run dual classes. That's all the more he said about it for me, hope that helps.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hookandbar View Post
    How does everyone feel about the test? That was a decent size turnout today
    Thought it wasn't bad but was very surprised they had a listening comprehension part and no mechanical portions.

I don't remember for certain but I thought there were 80 questions. I thought the Math portion would have been a little more difficult based on study guides. Based on the last section there were a few questions I wasn't sure on.

After talking with a few other guys, we all had the same thought. There will probably be a lot of people with the same or close scores due to the limited amount of questions. Hope it doesn't cause an issue with the selection process.

Anyone know what the average scores are on a test like this. From what I have heard(didn't take the last test) this one went way more standardized than in the past.

Thread Information