Forum Member

At 500 you won't have trouble with ANY Modern aerial.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFire123 View Post
    It really sounds like you want a rear mount FDNY style aerial. A smaller cab with a 4 person crew will shorten the turn arc for the more confined road and alleys in rural areas. Is this going to be a traditional aerial or will it be modern truck setup? What additional "Rescue" Tools will it carry if any?
    Need 6 seats which I think is what FDNY has. The NYFD Rear Mount is sized right. We will most likely have a single hydraulic reel with a Hurst High Pressure system and a portable unit. Limited Rescue Tools as we have a Heavy Duty rescue in our "fleet".

Thank you to everyone who has commrnted so far.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aerialguy11 View Post
    FIREMECH: I'm not trying to be facetious but didn't you talk about your new Toyne/RK Steel Aerial in a few posts so if you prefer Aluminum why was a Steel Aerial purchased? Was it price or ?
    Not my call. The City Counsel 99% of the time only approves the lowest bidder. However, I and a few others almost got the nod for the E-One, that was second lowest.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Here's the GOOD news. Duing the time you'll have it,I doubt your steel one will rust off. We've used steel for years,NO PROBLEMS.

Forum Member

While having a few "minor" issues with steel, I do feel comfortable with them. I can't knock them, they do last longer than the rig.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFWALT View Post
    Roofjockey,
    looking at a pre piped waterway will it be retractable in order to allow the ladder to get closer to the structure and not risk damage to the waterway?
    I know that your command structure wants this apparatus to do "truck" work. Like some of the other members I question if you shouldn't strongly consider the pump, 300 gallons of water, a larger foam cell and hand lines. Run it as a "truck" but if it is the lead apparatus on a narrow drive water can be relayed to it with lines deployed and flowing foam if needed. I'm definitely not trying to tell you how to operate your department or second guess your leadership but I want you to consider that you will have this apparatus for the next 20 years and the decisions you make now will affect its operation during that time.

Good luck,
    Walt
    This is exactly why we went for a quint, and how we use it. Daytime manpower, access issues, etc.
    We were able to fit 2) 35', 1) 24', and several strait ladders on it, plus 700' of 5", 700' of 2.5" 600' of 1.75. a booster reel, 3 cord reels, a 10 kw diesel generator and more and there is still plenty of compartment space. It has a Hale 1500 gpm pump and a 300 gal tank. If we had it to do over and had the funds, a class A foam system would be VERY nice. It's an RD Murray on a Spartan w/a AI stick. 105' with waterway and monitor. waterway can be pinned to the second section for rescue ops.

I like Smeal/Ferrara's electric pinnable waterway idea, sounds like a real time saver- esp if you frequently use the stick for both purposes.

I'd agree with the others- carefully evaluate turning radii and angles of approach/departure in your district, and those you plan on running to. Then work on addressing this in your specs, wheelbase, cramp angle, overhangs etc.

As far as cmpt space, it sounds like you mostly need/want a truck, with or without engine capabilities. We run a LOT of quints in my area (whether we call em that or not!) and pretty much all have more than enough space to fill those roles- esp if you carefully plan out what/where. If you want a ladder/engine/squad/heavy rescue/rolling thermos etc you'll run out of space...

From experience, it's sure as hell nice to have handlines on the truck sitting front and center, esp at the end of one of those long drives or congested garden apartment complexes!! Ours have been pulled quite often. This is another reason not to skimp on crew seats.

I can't speak to the steel vs aluminum- I've never used an aluminum ladder. There are plenty around us, though- and in some very busy depts, and they keep buying more!

Forum Member

A 750 GPM pump and a 300 Gallon tank and few hundred feet of attack hose and some sort of supply hose is worth a lot if the ladder is first in and has to stand alone until a engine company arrives.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFire123 View Post
    A 750 GPM pump and a 300 Gallon tank and few hundred feet of attack hose and some sort of supply hose is worth a lot if the ladder is first in and has to stand alone until a engine company arrives.
    Yup, but why not go for a pump size that can fully support the ladder pipe?

Forum Member

One of the departments here in central jersey, RT 78 area has a Rosenbauer/RK platform that they are sorry they purchased because of the way she sways, and bounchs when flowing water and also when firefighters move around in the bucket, and forget about going up on a windy day.The apparatus was built on a Seagrave chassis! They said that the" want there old truck back" .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzle nut 22 View Post
    Yup, but why not go for a pump size that can fully support the ladder pipe?
    The 750 GPM pump with a good supply line is a good basic pump volume. It is a good option for a first in aerial,it gives a good volume water for initial attack that can then be used to add more water to the fire ground operation. If the water way on the aerial is specified for four inch and the pump is plumbed with a three inch line to it and the truck has a additional three inch intake the aerial can flow over a thousand GPM .

Thread Information