Forum Member

Default Fire service education for teens

Our VFD does a lot of fire safety education for the younger elementary kids, but does anyone know if there are any programs for young teens? Specifically I'm looking at coming up with a program for home schooled middle school and maybe high school age kids that shows how things like math, science, health, biology etc. is used in the fire and EMS services. It would be used to teach kids about how the jobs in emergency services use those subjects in the course of their jobs, and encourage kids to have a reason to take more interest in those subjects. If any of you know of any courses like this let me know. Thanks.

Forum Member

Just look at all aspects of the fire service and gear the class to the audience and age level

Such as

Math- hydraulics, med conversions,

Chemistry- fire, fire dynamics, how fire can be extinguished, simple home made kitchen fire extinguisher can of baking soda, heat release, volume of water in various types of containers

Psychology- working with different types of patients

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire5555 View Post
    Just look at all aspects of the fire service and gear the class to the audience and age level

Such as

Math- hydraulics, med conversions,

Chemistry- fire, fire dynamics, how fire can be extinguished, simple home made kitchen fire extinguisher can of baking soda, heat release, volume of water in various types of containers

Psychology- working with different types of patients
    I have several projects going so I was trying not to reinvent the wheel if possible, or build on a decent program if something exists.

Forum Member

Hey Johnsb-

I go and talk to the kids, tell stories, and tie it all back in with math, reading, health, etc. I don't know of a program that does this outside of the recent trend towards having firefighter "clubs" and explorer type programs at the schools. In those programs, however, the focus is directly on Fire Science and academy style training, not so much to relating back to why the kids should be more focused on their subjects.

I know of one that is working on their program in earnest right now near the CSN campus in Las Vegas.

Paul
    PaulC
    FF/EMTP
    City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
    gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Thread Information