Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Stupid decision - Can I get past it?

Greetings,

I was in the Marine Corps. from 2005-2009 and in 2007 I was stupid and drove on base while I was intoxicated. I was charged with a DUI and I learned my lesson and eventually moved forward and did good things.

I was honorably discharged and everything but I have been looking at some firefighting jobs here in Michigan, and thus far a DUI is an automatic disqualification for all of them.

Has anybody been in my shoes and how did you move past your mistake? Is there someone at a fire station that could (in military terms) "waiver" an offense? I know that I'm asking if there's someone who will make an exception for me, and I know that the chances are slim.

I'm willing to do what I have to in order to prove that I've learned from my mistakes and I won't repeat them, I'm just wondering what I need to do to be given the opportunity to prove that.

Thanks

Forum Member

Well it has been five years and no trouble, which is good

Who charged you military or civilian?

What happened in court ??

Do you have written record of what happened??

Forum Member

It was the military that charged me...I got the DUI at the gate coming on base. Since it was on base there were no civilian courts...I was given an NJP by my Battalion Commander which took a rank and some pay and restricted me to my room..but there were no civilian repercussions besides a suspended driver's license.

There weren't a whole lot of written records that I ever was aware of, but I have copies of all the "judicial" paperwork showing what the offense was and what my punishment was.

Forum Member

new social media policy in place
    Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: new social media policy in place

Forum Member

First, yes you can possibly get past it. It will all depend on how you handle it from here. Most departments I have looked at or applied to (only out west) will not automatically kick you for a DUI. They do usually have a time period though. For example, if it was in the last 3 or 5 years don't even bother applying. But after that, you can go after it. I'm not familiar with how the military handles these types of things and how that crosses over. One thing I can tell you with certainty is, if you are asked if you've ever had one, you'd better say yes. The last thing you're going to want is to get deep into a process only to find out that you failed a background or poly because you didn't think this needed to be mentioned. I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear, but at least you're going to be past the 5 year mark this year and can start applying. The other thing is start looking outside of Michigan. Most people test for years with a good number of departments before getting picked up and you'll have to broaden your horizon if that's going to be possible (if it's financially feasible). Anyways, good luck and hopefully you can make it work at some point.

Default Dui

I had the Captains vehicle to take a date home from a ships party. I had too much to drink and while entering the main gate was saluted to by the Marines at the gate. That and driving a Military vehicle into a civilian establishment (A&W) was all handled by military court and never was on my record. What I'm saying is ...Military is Military and you have nothing to worry about. If they ask you a question.."Have you ever" answer correctly and let them know of your circumstances and be truthful. I had a great 40 years in the Fire Service and my indiscrepancies never hurt me. Good Luck!!!
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

new social media policy in place
    Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: new social media policy in place

Forum Member

"""but I have copies of all the "judicial" paperwork showing what the offense was and what my punishment was."""

So what was the charge???

Also how did they determine you were drunk??? Walk and turn ??? Breath test?? Blood???

Or app does ask about any military charges

Forum Member

With all do respect if asked if you have ever drank and drove, the honest answer would be "Yes." military or not. I disagree the point that "if it is not on your record that you didn't do it".

MembersZone Subscriber

Be aware of free advice you receive on the internet, especially those who tell you to be dishonest.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

BC Lepore is Right. Just tell the truth, from the start. You don't want to be thrown out of the process for something that wouldnt have DQ'd you in the first place. I'm sure they would review a DUI on a case to case basis. Weve all made mistakes. No one is perfect. You learned from your mistake, and it has been more than 5 years. Find out yourself. Apply somewhere and go through the process.

Cheers.

Forum Member

Going through the process honestly is the only way to go
    Last edited by CFD11; 08-07-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Forum Member

Be as honest as you need to be.

If it's not on your official record that you must report, then don't talk about it. If it is, there are still many jobs that will hire you with a stipulation. Your calling to the fire service isn't over in Michigan if they wont allow it there.

Thank you for serving. Best of luck.

Forum Member

All i am saying is to be 100% honest period. I have been through Toledo's process before, and they do not hook you up to a polygraph. I am a full-time firefighter somewhere else so i don't have to worry about it...but what i can tell you is in every interview that I took i was 100% honest. I encourage everyone to do the same. I am not saying i am better than anyone nor am i saying the military base doesn't have different rules. I wish Jthomp the best of luck in any future processes.

On a side note, why don't you go inside to pee? Lol i don't live in the country so i guess i don't understand.

Forum Member

jthomp,
    Look at some other threads dealing with this. BC Lepore and others that sit on the other side have commented on this. All I was saying was that if you don't admit (WHEN not IF asked) and they find it (which it sounds like there is a very good chance with the paperwork you spoke about) you're screwed. It will no longer be about whether or not you got yourself into trouble, but the fact that you are now being dishonest. As it has been said before, people do stupid stuff when they're young. But if you are seen as someone who is currently dishonest it will haunt you well past the current departments background (You will also more than likely be asked in the future where else you have applied and what happened with that).

Forum Member

Just one of those things
    Last edited by CFD11; 08-07-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Forum Member

Well for one, I'm hoping that the time i peed in the middle of nowhere wouldn't even come to my mind..personally i think polygraphs are a very bad way to hire people, they aren't accurate and I know people that have been taught to beat them. Anyways I know getting far in a process is a tough thing to deal with and I would answer honestly to any polygraph question for the fact that all i have is my word. You might be kicked out of the process for something dumb but they can't call you a liar.

Default Honesty

Chief Lepore ....is correct. Be perfectly honest and if asked "Have you ever" then tell them. Nobody is perfect and if they ask you to explain then explain. "It's easier to tell the truth then it is to remember a lie".
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

It was a far different world when it came to DUI's 40 years ago, for better and for worse.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information