Forum Member

Default Field EMS report software and necessary training

Our department has acquired a program for completing electronic patient care reports and we are going to be running this program on a ruggedized laptop. I am in the process of setting up the training for this and am looking or ideas or suggestions for successful training and implementation. We are a department of 500 with 18 stations and 32 first response apparatus that will be using this software. We have everyone from computer savvy people to very computer deficient people. I was thinking about having everyone complete one of the reports on the desktop computer at the station, then bringing them in for a 4 hour hands on course, then one on training or train the trainer as needed. Also, I was thinking about only putting 2-3 of the laptops out there to get started and work out any kinks with the system. Our department takes 55000 runs a year, so this is a huge transition for us. Has anyone else experienced this? What worked or didn't work? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

We did this a couple of years ago. We started using the Zoll epcr program and it has worked fine for us. What we did was have all the FTOs meet and do a one day training class and then let them practice with it. Then they did a refresher class a month later. Surprisingly this did help as I learned some more stuff that I either forgot or didn't catch the first time. Then the FTOs were the only ones in the field using it for about four months. This allowed the bugs to be worked out and time for them to get used to the program in an emergency setting. Finally we went live with it and had the FTOs teach other classes so it could go system wide. It worked fine for us. Our system is strictly EMS. We have operations spread all over East Texas and other places. The operation I work for is the busiest system they have in Texas so we were able to work out a lot of bugs and offer suggestions so the program could be tailored to what we do.

Now as to other specifics I couldn't tell you. I'm not a tech person per say, I left that to others that enjoyed that kind of stuff.

Hope the system works for you.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Well, we are a City based fire department with integration with the county for ALS transports. Kind of complicated but the County uses Zoll and personally I think it's a great program. What we are going to be using for the first responders is a program from Emergency Technologies Incorporated. I think they are out of S. Carolina. Anyways, I appreciate the response and I hope to gather some more information before we move forward with this.

Thread Information