Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Written Test Help

I have quite a few written exams coming up later this spring and I would love to get better in two areas of most of the exams I have encountered, mechanical ability and map reading. For some odd reason I am having problems with mechanical ability in all the areas except tool identification. The gears, pulleys, belts, etc all seem to mess me up. As far as map eading I swear I find the fastest route and I don't because my test results are either non passing or barely passing. Another type of test that I ahve ran into that I would love some tricks are the tests where you get a study guide and have to memorize the article information, floor plans, pictures, etc. I have only had the pleasure of taking one of those exams which was a failure and I would love some tricks if anyone wouldn't mind giving up.

Thanks

Geoff

Default Maps

I would suggest Chief Lepores' "Smoke Your Firefighter Written Exam". It has it all from correct English spelling to Maps in the back. I wish you luck and good reading......
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

If all else fails, mark choice "B"!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Chief Lepore, Capt. Bob, Magraw-Hill, and many others.
    A quick stop by your local books a million, barnes and noble, or whatever you prefer should help (the test guide section)

Check out Barron's or Magraw-Hill study guides. Both have maps, memory, mechanical sections for you to practice, but one of them (I want to say Magraw-Hill but can't remember) has a rather extensive memory aid section that gives you tricks and techniques for remembering different info, pictures, floor plans, maps, gauge clusters, addresses, etc. We don't have a lot of that memory testing around here, but from the quick scan that I gave it it appeared pretty helpful.

Good luck testing!
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

benjamin29

How do you answer the strongly agree, agree, dont know, disagree, strongly disagree questions?
    Any method to the madness?

Human relation questions have been growing in numbers also. ' You see a FF take money at a fire, what do you do' a. Ask what he/she is doing b. go to your officer c. do nothing d. yell loudly to everyone what you saw

Forum Member

I've always answered the psychological questions "strongly" in whichever direction....
    Human resources questions I avoid conflict if at all possible; so the in the question you posed I would pick A. just asking what he/she is doing.

Not telling if I'm right though, but I do usually do well on the written portion

Yeah, to add to that make sure you aren't assuming any thing and then approach them about what they are doing. In reality, there are plenty of times when I have gone back in and grabbed personal items (phones, wallets, purses, medications, IDs, etc.) for people we are transporting. I never put them in my pocket however and I always let someone else know what I'm doing before heading back in.

Pay attention to the wording too. You think you see your partner put something in his pocket vs. you see your partner take your wallet out of your locker.

Don't know if that's always the correct approach with these types of questions, but I've done well on writtens in the past. If you don't know what's going on, choose the answer that gets you the info you need directly. I'm sure others will chime in too.

Good luck!
    Last edited by yjbrody; 02-28-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

I personally would assume that the firefighter is keeping the money safe and that is why they put it in their pocket, ect. So, I would ask them if they are keeping the valuables in their pocket for safe keeping and if they said yes, I would give them mine also. If they deny taking anything and you saw them do it, then you must insist that they tell the supervisor what they did wrong and even offer to go with them. If they refuse, then politely let them know that it is the right thing to tell the supervisor and that if they don't, you will have to. It doesn't matter if they put the item back or promise not to do it again, this is a black and white line that they have crossed. My opinion anyway. The books I have studied with are Arco Firefighter exam, Walter,Rutledge & Hawley Exam Preparation I & II, Esentials of Firefighting and Barron's Fire Fighting exam 6th Edition. My best Drcog was 97 after studying these pretty good. I also have trouble with the mechanical advantage which hurt me in the Firetest. Good luck!

benjamin29

I always want to lean with an answer that has a supervisor involved if the question sounds anything like stealing, drugs etc. Brody makes a good point to look at wording. Could be taken different ways i guess....

Thread Information