View Poll Results: Should you tape boots, gloves and zippers on suits?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just boots

0 0%
  • Just gloves

0 0%
  • Just Boots and gloves

1 25.00%
  • Boots, Gloves, and Zippers Always

3 75.00%
  • Boots, Gloves, and Zippers depending on the chemical

0 0%
  • No tape ever

0 0%
    Forum Member

Default To tape or not to tape... That is the question.

Recently there has been a little discussion in my department about whether taping everything from zippers to boots is worth the hassle in a suit use situation or not. I personally feel it is. Tape everything, every time. What are your feelings? Do you have any concerns about the tape reacting with the chemicals you may come in contact with? Some guys in my department do. Any merit to their concerns?
    Last edited by CheedarBob; 02-21-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: misspell

MembersZone Subscriber

Chem tape is chemical rated, a good job taping reduced the chance that the product will get into areas that decon might not get. In theory the zipper wouldn't need it since the suit is tested and if it leaked you wouldn't be in it, however if the zipper is taped off the product won't get to the zipper anyway.

I'd go with tape

MembersZone Subscriber

In my opinion it depends on the suits - Level A- I would never tape. They are tested and a sealed environment.

For Level B's at my former department went to splash hoods to not have to tape around face pieces, suits with shrouds for the boots - again no tape, double storm flap closures on the zipper - no tape and would secure the outer gloves to the suit with duct tape or chem tape. The suits were the TK165 or similar from lakeland or dupont.

For decon we used tyvek f - and we taped the outer gloves/wrists and the front zipper with the tape, splash hoods again for the mask and the boot tops we would blouse over the top of the high top bata hazmat boots and tape with duct or chem tape.

I always viewed the tape as a way to keep the suit from separating from the gloves or boots, not a waterproof connection.

I personally would tape when I need it and not tape when I don't. As far as the chemical reacting with the tape I'd be more concerned with it out right degrading my suit in a more critical area (around the chest, head, face and groin) than where I taped at my wrists and ankles.

Dan Warchol

Forum Member

Couple points here...

First, the idea if the encapsulating level B suit is a good one, as already mentioned. It takes away the biggest gap (around the face) and also protects the SCBA.

There is NO WHERE on a level A suit that requires tape. The mere thought of this is halarious.

I sincerely hope there are no response teams still using duct tape on suits. This is simply moronic and should NEVER be allowed. Spend the money and buy ChemTape. It is rated just like the suit is, and made for the job. If you have doubts, take a trip to Guntersville, AL and tour the Kappler plant. You will leave with your opinion changed.

Bob, what were the reasons your coworkers were giving for not wanting to tape when they normally would have before?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Thank you all for your insight.

GTRider, My coworkers (not all but a few) stated that the tape would react with the product and that it was a waste of time. Those are really the only two answers I have gotten from them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CheedarBob View Post
    Thank you all for your insight.

GTRider, My coworkers (not all but a few) stated that the tape would react with the product and that it was a waste of time. Those are really the only two answers I have gotten from them.
    See my response above about ChemTape being rated the same as the suit. If you are still using duct tape you have much bigger problems on your hands.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

My thoughts pretty much echo the previous responses. Research the chemical, and check the breakthrough/permeation times of your suit against that chemical. Since the zippers in the Level A suits are vapor tight, there's no need to tape them. We tape our gloves onto our Level A and B suits to keep them in place. Our Level Bs have booties so we have no need to tape the boots.

Thread Information