Forum Member

Default NFPA 1901 tanker compliance requirements (SCBA)

I was finally able to obtain a list of all the needed equipment to make our new tanker compliant with NFPA 1901.

I noticed in that list that one SCBA per seated position was listed. Will we be able to purchase two SCBA with excess funds from the vehicle grant we got to cover this expense? The way I read it is yes as we are allowed to purchase equipment to make the truck 1901 compliant but I did not realize a tanker had requirements for SCBA. Is anyone able to confirm this? If not I will call FEMA and ask but I have asked enough questions to them today figure someone else may want some time to ask theirs.

I was also caught off guard by the traffic cones but I understand that. Just thought all we needed was some sort of signaling device likes flares or lights.

Appreciate the information. Newbie to the grant world and been reading and reading all day and finally got all the wording down, or so I hope.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mach158 View Post
    I was finally able to obtain a list of all the needed equipment to make our new tanker compliant with NFPA 1901.

I noticed in that list that one SCBA per seated position was listed. Will we be able to purchase two SCBA with excess funds from the vehicle grant we got to cover this expense? The way I read it is yes as we are allowed to purchase equipment to make the truck 1901 compliant but I did not realize a tanker had requirements for SCBA. Is anyone able to confirm this? If not I will call FEMA and ask but I have asked enough questions to them today figure someone else may want some time to ask theirs.

I was also caught off guard by the traffic cones but I understand that. Just thought all we needed was some sort of signaling device likes flares or lights.

Appreciate the information. Newbie to the grant world and been reading and reading all day and finally got all the wording down, or so I hope.
    It is true that you can use excess funds to expand the project. In this case excess funds could be used to purchase NFPA 1901 equipment. The issue is the cost of the SCBA will exceed the allowed threshold of $5,000 for such purposes. At best you might be able to purchase 1 SCBA, but if the SCBA exceeds $5,000 the department is responsible for the excess plus the match on the $5,000.

Forum Member

I do not think you need to buy new packs, if you have some extra's they should be ok

Forum Member

mach158, drop me a PM. Have answer for you.

Forum Member

On the subject of excess funds. I want to make sure I understand things correctly.

Let say we asked for $185,000 for a new tanker. Our share is 5% which is $9,250 and the federal share is 95% which is 175,750.

Now lets say we buy a new tanker for $170,000 and it meets everything we said in the grant. Now are the excess funds just $5,750 or are the excess funds $9,250? It is my understanding that our share does not count in the excess funds portion and it is just federal money but I haven't been able to find an accurate answer searching.

I also noticed that with a vehicle acquisition grant that the $5,000 limit does not exist for excess funds. Did I read that correctly?

Basically, we are looking at a demo tanker that is spec'd almost exactly how we want and the other stuff we want we can get added. So basically the tanker we want for about $12,000 cheaper then new.

Any and all excess funds will go to purchase new hose, nozzles, etc. to outfit the tanker and if possible purchase some other equipment to go on our pumper if that is allowed? (any insight on that would be great to)

Am I understanding this all correctly?
    Last edited by mach158; 02-25-2012 at 01:06 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Excess funds

Quote Originally Posted by mach158 View Post
    On the subject of excess funds. I want to make sure I understand things correctly.

Let say we asked for $185,000 for a new tanker. Our share is 5% which is $9,250 and the federal share is 95% which is 175,750.

Now lets say we buy a new tanker for $170,000 and it meets everything we said in the grant. Now are the excess funds just $5,750 or are the excess funds $9,250? It is my understanding that our share does not count in the excess funds portion and it is just federal money but I haven't been able to find an accurate answer searching.

I also noticed that with a vehicle acquisition grant that the $5,000 limit does not exist for excess funds. Did I read that correctly?

Basically, we are looking at a demo tanker that is spec'd almost exactly how we want and the other stuff we want we can get added. So basically the tanker we want for about $12,000 cheaper then new.

Any and all excess funds will go to purchase new hose, nozzles, etc. to outfit the tanker and if possible purchase some other equipment to go on our pumper if that is allowed? (any insight on that would be great to)

Am I understanding this all correctly?
    Just my opinion, but if you said in your grant application you were using the funds to purchase a 1901 compliant tanker, then the truck will need to be equipped with 1901 equipment. You are required to out fit the truck either by utilizing existing equipment or purchasing the equipment new. NFPA 1901 equipment is part of the project not excess funds. Now if you want to purchase equipment for the truck that is outside of 1901 that would be an excess funds issue.
    Mark

Forum Member

We will have approx $5,000 in excess funds after the truck is made 1901 compliant. Everything being put on the truck is new except for the SCBA and spare cylinders.

Thread Information