Forum Member

Default 4x4 Cribbing Edge question

Ok. Here’s one for ya. I am a member of a small paid department in FL. We have a fair amount of cribbing. However, there seems to be a difference between some of the pieces. Someone had a question regarding the edges of some of the cribbing. We have your traditional perfectly square pieces. Meaning that all four outside edges are squared. The argument is regarding a couple and possible future pieces of cribbing having rounded edges. The argument against the rounded edge type is its ability to bite into other pieces of cribbing and whatever is being cribbed. Its possible that we set up a test and see if the rounded edges do encourage or at least don’t prevent slipping/ rolling, but I am wondering if there is a clear answer on this. Does FEMA/ or Army corps. Of Engs. have a rule on this? Does all cribbing in your cache need to be as uniform as possible? Would the rounded edges be considered unstable? They certainly seem more unstable when a light load is applied (someone standing on the stack) but would a heavy load "lock" them more in place? I hope I've formed my question well enough to make sense. Thanks for reading.

Forum Member

Without any actual test, my opinion would be that certainly the straight "Boxed" Edges would be more secure, Although if this is such, why in the world would one take the time to round such edges off, when they come boxed?!
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Forum Member

What is the cribbing made of? Is it wood or is it plastic? I really don't think a rounded edge is going to make much difference. The most important factor in the cribbing itself would be the material it's made of and the texture of the flat surface on the sides. That and and a properly made box crib are more important than the edges. If your cribbing would roll or slip, it's because of factors other than the corners. Adding grit to the sides is going to reduce slipping, not square corners. A properly stacked box crib should eliminate most of the problems to begin with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    What is the cribbing made of? Is it wood or is it plastic? I really don't think a rounded edge is going to make much difference. The most important factor in the cribbing itself would be the material it's made of and the texture of the flat surface on the sides. That and and a properly made box crib are more important than the edges. If your cribbing would roll or slip, it's because of factors other than the corners. Adding grit to the sides is going to reduce slipping, not square corners. A properly stacked box crib should eliminate most of the problems to begin with.
    Agreed. The edges shouldn't matter if you are cribbing properly..
    "....train as if your life depends on it, because one day it could.."
    .....Leather Head N6A
    Tillerman..... The best job in the FD!!!

insert witty title here

I would think the rounded edges would roll easier and make the tower less stable. FEMA/USAR uses normal cribbing for a reason.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeremymader View Post
    I would think the rounded edges would roll easier and make the tower less stable. FEMA/USAR uses normal cribbing for a reason.
    Squares don't roll. If a piece of square or rectangular cribbing rolls, you're doing it wrong. And describe "normal cribbing". 4x4's can come with either a 90 degree corner on the the edge or one with a 1/4" radius. Either will work the same as cribbing when used properly.

Thread Information