Thread: Training Ideas

Forum Member

Default Training Ideas

I'm certain this topic has been discussed, but I think it's worth a refresher.
    I have been selected to be a training officer, and I'm excited to put some of my ideas to use. My question is, are there any training ideas you like to use or would like to? Both inside and outside. Looking for some interesting ideas, thinking outside the box a little. Thanks.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

We follow what the state of Texas requires. We do change it up a bit. This last weekend we did RIT and Mayday training. Videos should be on youtube soon after I get chance viewing the videos and decide which ones to upload.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Big different buildings/ busineses and walk through them noting exterior doors , fire protection systems, chemicals, hazards, etc

You learn the building, meet the people, etc

MembersZone Subscriber

Getting our required "8 hour" OSHA refresher is always a challenge. Rather than take up regular training time, my department just hosted an all-day event with a variety of speakers. Folks from a dozen departments showed up.

Next year, different speakers with different takes on the same topics.

Besides getting the requirement out of the way in a less painful manner (like listening to moi for 8 hours...) the event gave firefighters an opportunity to network with others from around the county, including some they don't normally run into.

Several departments around the county are holding similar events.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Getting our required "8 hour" OSHA refresher is always a challenge. Rather than take up regular training time, my department just hosted an all-day event with a variety of speakers. Folks from a dozen departments showed up.

Next year, different speakers with different takes on the same topics.

Besides getting the requirement out of the way in a less painful manner (like listening to moi for 8 hours...) the event gave firefighters an opportunity to network with others from around the county, including some they don't normally run into.

Several departments around the county are holding similar events.
    For our OSHA refresher training we usually rely on the OFPC class offered in the Outreach training through the county. 3 training nights and its all done. It does use up 3 training nights but its a state certified course and you get the certificate to show compliance. We've recently revamped our training so it might not be necessary to do that this year. We should cover all the topics needed to comply with the recert.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

First thing, make sure you know what REQUIRED training you need to do. Then figure in training that is specific to your dept. (YOUR apparatus, the types of fires and emergencies that you run on) Once you get those basics taken care of, you can go back and build on those training sessions and increase your level of training. Build a library of reasources as well, video, online, and articles, so individuals can research a topic if they have questions.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Start with the basics. Hose advancement, ladders, forcible entry, ventilation, search and rescue, PPE and SCBA donning.

With some 2x4's and a half sheet of plywood you can make a restricted passage prop, with some fence posts and cones you can make a hose advancement course, or have the guys advance hose around the trucks in the bay, toss a pass alarm in the corner of the apparatus bay, shut off the lights and have the crew search for it in the dark...there are so many more ideas.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Our firefighter rescue training use used with just stuff found in our station. We got a 100 foot section of hose that isn't being used for anything and snaked it around the obstacle course. First they had to crawl the length of a ladder. Second they had to crawl under a table with loose rope looped around the table to simulate entanglement. Third they had to squeeze under two benches. Firefighters have to remove their SCBA to get under the benches. We intended to have two pallets set up as a triangle for them to crawl over or through. Our firefighter dummy is then rescued and taken back through the obstacle course.

We record our hands on training with a camcorder and review later. I was going to put a video on youtube but I couldn't find one that was without errors. For most of our guys this was new training that they had never had before.

So in summary, there is plenty of training to do inside your station.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

keep it simple cut up some old cars do pump traning water battles are great training tanker suttles are nice and contact your local natural gas company and see if you can set up a propane tree training its a great thing to learn about.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you're stuck for an idea for drill night, check out the training on Firehouse.com and at Firefighterclosecalls.com, to mention a couple. You won't be stuck long.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

In addition to the above recommendations, you should check out http://www.fireservicebooks.com - they have a multitude of books, workbooks, DVDs, and other firefighter training materials that will give you some great ideas for both indoor and outdoor activities.

Forum Member

Maybe I am in the minority --our vfd drills a minimum of 3 drills a month and my biggest problem is what to prioritize. You can train all year and just scratch the surface on what you need.

Thread Information