Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nfpa violations

Forum Member

Default Nfpa violations

Recently I was involved with a heated discussion with an ex chief from one of our neighboring departments about whether or not a fire department can be sued over injuries or fatalities resulting from a direct violation of a NFPA standard. Even though we strongly disagreed with each other neither of us could provide any evidence to dismiss the other allegations. Does anyone out there know if this is true? And if so does anyone out there have any examples of departments being sued because of NFPA violations that resulted in death and injury?

Forum Member

If your state has adopted the NFPA standards as a law, which some have, you can be fined by the voliation of those standards, which are now law.

If your state has not adopted the NFPA standards as alw, the answer is no. That being siad, the NFPA standards have become in many places, the "industry standard" in the courtroom. If your department is is sued by a homeowner for an ineffective operation, a civilian for injury or damages, or the family of a member injured or killed while performing for the fire department, the plantiffs will use that in thier case and will argue that your department has not met what is considered the "industry standard". In all liklihood, you will lose.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Are you asking about firefighters not following nfpa firefighting standards

Or a business not following nfpa standards and the fd not enforcing those ???

Forum Member

Thanks Lafireeducator that helped to solve some oof the confusion. And fire5555 I'm talking about firefighters/ fire departments not following nfpa standards.

You can also be sued for following the guidelines... the initiation of a lawsuit is not dependent on facts, laws or standards. The initiation of a lawsuit is about having enough money for a lawyer.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    You can also be sued for following the guidelines... the initiation of a lawsuit is not dependent on facts, laws or standards. The initiation of a lawsuit is about having enough money for a lawyer.
    Very true.

But at least you will have the fact that your are following the standards on your side, and it will be more difficult for the plantiffs to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Very true.

But at least you will have the fact that your are following the standards on your side, and it will be more difficult for the plantiffs to be successful.
    Maybe..... maybe not.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Very true.

Would that kind of be like a dept. following/not following something along the lines of a national training standard?
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Forum Member

If you look at the standard, it allows for modifications by the AHJ, which if you are not an NFPA-as-law state, is the fire department.

Read it closely. The fire department does have the right to adopt parts, and not adopt parts if it if it is not mandated by law in their state, as they are the AHJ.

If you look at the standard, it allows for modifications by the AHJ, which if you are not an NFPA-as-law state, is the fire department.

Read it closely. The fire department does have the right to adopt parts, and not adopt parts if it if it is not mandated by law in their state, as they are the AHJ.
    They always have the right, as the standards are not law, unless adopted by statute.

The question is; on what do you base those modifications? Are you relying on another set of standards that have been vetted by a professional organization?

Or are you changing them based on:
    a) We are "different" then everywhere else in the country.
    b) Bubba says this is a better way.
    c) It interferes with our fundraising.
    d) It *might* cause us to lose people.
    e) We don't have any buildings with *insert variable here*, so we don't need *insert technique or specific tactic here*.

Good luck with that...

jcrampton14 just wanted to let you know that I'm truly sorry for what is going to happen next.

If things hold to their historical pattern. LA who always loves to tell everyone else what standards, guidelines and such and such they should follow, "Because We are training our FF to die/get killed" (his words not mine) is going to go in great detail on why those NFPA rules that he loves to talk about do not apply to him or his dept.

And now back to our regular schedule program.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    jcrampton14 just wanted to let you know that I'm truly sorry for what is going to happen next.

If things hold to their historical pattern. LA who always loves to tell everyone else what standards, guidelines and such and such they should follow, "Because We are training our FF to die/get killed" (his words not mine) is going to go in great detail on why those NFPA rules that he loves to talk about do not apply to him or his dept.

And now back to our regular schedule program.
    You're the one that brought up the subject of training standards, not me. I have no love of NFPA standards, especially training, which far to many members of the fire service take as the be all and end all of training.

You're the one that brought up the subject of training standards, not me. I have no love of NFPA standards, especially training, which far to many members of the fire service take as the be all and end all of training.
    One of the many reasons why no one takes you seriously as a firefighter. Particularly when it comes to tactics.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

I did bring it up, but it was in jest. To be honest I was/am baiting you! I'm sorry, I should not have done it, but sometimes you just make it so damn easy!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Thread Information