Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Where Are the Major Extrication Classes Being Held?

I was answering a question from a Kentucky fire department officer and thought I would see what all is out there. The question basically is "where can a fire department send an instructor or department member to receive good, advanced extrication training in the United States". So, I ask, where are the big classes being held? Here are just a few to start the list. I'd like to see what we can all come up with as a reference list...(in no order of importance; just random thoughts)

1) Amboy Fire Protection District Auto Extrication School
    Amboy Fire Protection District in conjuction with Blackhawk Firefighter's Association Bi-Annual Extrication and Fire School. Over 500 firefighters in attendance. 30+ classes including extrication classes from multiple vendors and a University of Extrication lecture by R. Moore. (That's me!) Contact: Jeffrey Bryant Jr. <junior@illinoisfirestore.co m>

2) Tarrant County College Fire Academy, Ft. Worth, TX. 40-hour Vehicle & Machinery Rescue Technician course. Cars, bus vehicles, trucks, a railroad train car: lots of cutting and heavy lifting. Website is http://www.tccd.edu/Continuing_Educa..._Training.html

3) Firehouse.com website; EVENTs tab on the Home page.
    February, Advanced University of Extrication classes in San Diego for Firehouse World.
    July, Advanced University of Extrication 1-day classes in Baltimore for Firehouse Expo.

4) Howell Rescue in Dayton OH. Vehicle extrication class at the Fairgrounds each year. www.howellrescue.com

5) www.boronextrication.com website. Smitty, the firefighter who runs that site, posts seminars and extrication class information for training events around the country.

6) FDIC always has lots of extrication pre-conference classes. Check out the Fire Engineering website for information.

7) Les Baker runs an extrication program in South Carolina with the Darlington County Extrication Team. http://www.extricationprocess.com/pr...s-training.cfm has the 2012 program conducted earlier this month

8) ? What else is out there that we all need to know about?????

9)

10)

11)
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

You will note, there is none listed for NJ. That being due to my state being so far behind the ball in extrication that a certification does not even exist. Some here say it's part of EMS (where it was very commonly done in the 70's/80's). Some here say it's part of FF1 (but not in curriculum). Some here say it's part of FF2 (but not really).

So being there is no certification for the class...imagine what it takes to instruct the class. Yup. Nothing!

Just go ahead and offer a class. You can teach people it and since there is no cert/standard...they are trained.

I have seen classes where the "instructor" has told people not to worry about airbags....they aren't really a concern. I have seen classes where the "instructor" did not even know what Boron was.

Its sad.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Charlottesville-Albemarle (VA) Rescue Squad VehExt: http://carsrescue.org/wp-content/upl...and-Waiver.pdf

By far, one of the best taught classes with challenges galore, great for new folks and seasoned veterans as well. Top-notch instructors from Virginia and Maryland.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

The Metro Atlanta Firefighters Conference in May has a couple of applicable HOT classes. Both are 4-hour classes. The first is a bus extrication class taught by Cobb County Fire's Squad 4 and Truck 14. The second is a heavy lifting and moving class that uses many of the same principles to lift and move large and heavy objects like slabs, pipes, and buses.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are many training programs with great info and credible presenters. Subjects vary greatly as well.

Just a few...

So-Cal Auto-X-Tech...offered in California providing LOTS of hands-on and relevant up-to-date topics. Delivery by experienced responders. Generally offered in the fall. This spring a program for big rigs is being offered, including special presentations for Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Trucks. Search for So-Cal Auto-X-Tech.

BIG RIG RESCUE...Typically this programs offers very comprehensive and valid information for overturns & underrides. Hands-on usually includes heavily weighted casualties in challenging scenarios. Techniques utilized are unique and improve safety for all in a controlled environment. Delivery by current responders with experience in heavy rescue and recovery professionals. Usually offered in spring and fall. A non-profit program offered through local community college system. 300 page booklet supplied to each person. Search for BIG RIG RESCUE or ring Joey Shue on 919.777.7778.

Big Lift U...a specialized program that involves instruction and LOTS of hands-on with a focus on use of air bag lifting systems. Challenging scenarios such as lifting one end of a rr tanker (42,000#), a school bus on embankment (4-point 8-bag lift), loaded mixer drum (25,000#) rolled onto a car, mixer vs. car in ditch, underrides and more. Delivery by experienced presenters who currently respond to incidents, including FDNY officers, recovery professionals, and heavy rescue responders. Usually offered in spring and fall. A non-profit training program offered through local community college system. Search for BIG LIFT U or visit www.cccc.edu, continuing education, and search ESTC page or ring Joey Shue on 919.777.7778.

MembersZone Subscriber

TERC (Transportation Emergency Rescue Committee) offers the annual extrication competition and learning symposium each year. Locations vary. A good chance to see challenginng scenarios, new tools, new techniques plus develop friendships. Search for TERCUSA on the web. The TERC is sanctioned by IAFC.

MembersZone Subscriber

As well as Southern California Auto X, there is also the Corona Auto X that is offered here locally.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Monroe Fire School, every summer in Monroe, WI. Been some great extrication classes up there, and I know Ron has taught up there in the past. I took a fantastic bus extrication class up there this past summer led by Paul Simpson with some other fantastic instructors. www.swnifra.com for info.

I'm happy to call him a friend, so full disclosure here, Mike Huffman from Harlem Roscoe Fire leads a two day event called Crunch Time which is geared towards newer folks to extrication, which I think fills a great niche. This is a two day event. I'm sure he'll do it again this fall, www.harlemroscoefire.com for info
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Alberta Vehicle Extrication Association

The AVEA also hold a great hands on large vehicle rescue symposium every year in Alberta Canada. This year it will be held June 20-22 2012. This course is limited to 80 students
    Check it out on the website www.albertavx.com:

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    You will note, there is none listed for NJ. That being due to my state being so far behind the ball in extrication that a certification does not even exist. Some here say it's part of EMS (where it was very commonly done in the 70's/80's). Some here say it's part of FF1 (but not in curriculum). Some here say it's part of FF2 (but not really).

So being there is no certification for the class...imagine what it takes to instruct the class. Yup. Nothing!

Just go ahead and offer a class. You can teach people it and since there is no cert/standard...they are trained.

I have seen classes where the "instructor" has told people not to worry about airbags....they aren't really a concern. I have seen classes where the "instructor" did not even know what Boron was.

Its sad.
    Bones,
    Check out www.RoadwayRescue.com David and his team are very knowledgeable, David is also on a SAE committee with Mr. Moore. The Roadway Rescue does offer open enrollments classes several times a year send a few guys and check out the programs see what you think.

Dave D does have a good program I'm sure and attending his classes would be beneficial so New Jersey IS represented. OK. Let's see if there are more classes that occur annually, something that you know about, that can be added to our ever-growing list.

Brock Archer just announced his next 5-day Vehicle Rescue Train-the-Trainer course. He will be conducting the program in Ann Arbor, Michigan beginning April 30th(Monday) and running through Friday, May 4th. His class is three days inside and two days of skills training. I will be helping out the third day plus Mike Smith (the famous Smitty, owner of www.boronextrication.com) will there teaching the second day. Smitty will roll out his program on Advanced Steel, new vehicle construction materials, and Boron work-arounds. He's really got this steel thing figured out. I'm really proud of both these guys for what they have been able to accomplish with their talents.

First i would like to thank you, Ron, for allowing posting of upcoming classes. I know many sites have rules against it, and I thought I read it in the terms here... so once again, thanks.

We at present have two open enrollment classes for 2012 with possibly 3 more being added. The class info can be obtained by going to the www.bigtruckrescue.com website and clicking on the show/class schedule page in the navigation bar.

SEPT. 8-9, 2012 = BTR/BIG TRUCK RESCUE CLASS W/ AIRBAGS in Middleburg Hts., OH 44130
    OCTOBER 13/14, 2012 = BTR/BIG TRUCK RESCUE CLASS W/ AIRBAGS in Bloomington, Illinois

Class size is limited. There will be plenty of hands-on. Our classes are not a demo exercise. You wonít be standing around watching, you will be participating. There will be at a minimum of five instructors at each of our classes.

We are trying to get a few more in for 2012, which would be in Massachusetts, Missouri, and New York. Again, there are allot of logistics involved with putting on these type of classes, some hosts work on it for over a year to get all the casualties needed to put on a professional class.

Though BTR training and consulting (big truck rescue) does many classes a year, most are captive. Meaning they are for specific departments, municipalities, or business. We specialize in setting up training curriculumsí for cross training, truck rescue, high/medium/low pressure airbags and cushions, specifically utilizing the recovery companiesí within the scope of rescue operations. This program has been around since the early '90's.

We teach these classes as a team, not one or maybe two individuals trying to teach a large class and using local people to teach. When this type of method is used, no specific curriculum can be followed.
    Utilizing the team approach, each instructor teaches a specific skill. Each instructor is one of the best at the skill they teach, thus the student receives the best educational value for their dollar spent. Are classes take 6 months to a year to plan for each location, as we have a specific curriculum we follow. Are instructors are perhaps some of the best in the world in the topic they instruct. Just singling out one, Jeff Martin is considered by many to be one of the best rigging, HD wrecker operator/instructor in the world. He has designed and also teaches these specific classes along with developing recovery technics used all over the world. Knowing this, isnít this the type of trainer you want for a big truck rescue class? What are the credentials of the trainer who has taught a class you have possibly attended? Did you ever bother to research the instructorís credentials? Fact is, many people taking your money have attended a class and then call themselves an instructor. We will not only match, but far exceed, pound for pound, our teamís knowledge, credentials and quality of curriculum against anybody.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post

Its sad.
    Boron is what Sohio puts in their gas ain't it??

BTW, I'm going to the Howell extrication class coming up, anyone else going?
    Last edited by johnsb; 03-19-2012 at 07:45 PM.

As we build our master list, here are some additional major extrication training programs being conducted on an annual basis around the U.S.

Cody Fire School May 4 to May 6, 2012
    Cody Texas

Clovis Crunch May
    Clovis, CA

Arvada Fire Protection District
    Arvada (CA) Auto-X
    Extrication Workshop 2012
    May 18, 19, & 20, 2012

Crunch Time Auto X September
    Gig Harbor, WA

Sunnyvale Annual Auto Extrication Training Program October
    Sunnyvale (CA) Dept of Public Safety

MembersZone Subscriber

The Ben Clark Training Center in Riverside, CA is offering a great Big Rig Auto X and (2) Auto X Classes.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Another advanced extrication class that I really just found out about is presented by a longtime friend of mine back in New York State. T & R Rescue Solutions will be presenting their Heavy Metal 2012 program in the Hudson Valley this Spring. The course runs April 27--29, 2012 and will be hosted by the Ulster Hose Company #5, Kingston, NY.

It has been explained to me that the course has lots of Hands-On and includes work with overturns, under-rides, vehicle on vehicle stacks, buses and more. The skills training includes equipment such as hydraulic and hand tools, airbags, cribbing, shoring, slings, chains, and winches. I like the fact that the instructional team is addressing NFPA 1670 competencies.

Let's add this one to our ever-growing list of where the big classes are being held!

MembersZone Subscriber

Looking forward to seeing you this Saturday Mr. Moore! Your class is looking great from our end, and a lot of people are very excited about it.

Jeffrey Bryant Jr.
    Sincerely,

JuniorAFPD
    juniorafpd@gmail.com

rescueschool.com - Upper Ohio Valley Fire/Rescue School This weekend school in Wellsburg, Wv has all kinds of classes ranging from Pump Operations to Engine Co Ops to Advanced Extrication and Rescue Scenarios. I have attended the past few years and it is one of the best classes I have ever been to. The instructors are top notch and they always have TONS of cars.

fireschool.org - Bowling Green State University State Fire School This school is held twice a year (May/October) and hosts firefighting, technical rescue, extrication, and various other classes. The Vehicle/Machinery Rescue Technician Class is second to none. Great instructors from busy rescue companies and access to tons of vehicles. Ever wonder what it would be like to extricate a pt from a car upside down in a 3 foot deep creek? You will do it there! Want time on school buses and commercial vehicles? You'll have plenty to use.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

There is one in southern Louisiana (Southern Region Advanced Auto Extrication Seminar) Third weekend in September. Check out http://www.lfd1.net/index.html for all the details.

Thread Information