Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Chance to Shout Out About Vehicle "Badging'"

There is an opportunity for us to get our voices heard by a group that can make a big difference. There is a committee working on addressing a standardized way that automakers will use to mark their hybrid and electric vehicles. The goal is to have 'badging' that warns first responders (FD, PD, EMS) and second responders (Tow, Recovery, Salvage Yards).

"Badging" is what the labels are called that appear on the outside of a vehicle. Badging tells you if it is a Ford or a Chevy and will tell you what model you are dealing with. It is really a marketing effort used by the automakers.

Badging on 2012 model year hybrids and electric vehicles has become very, very confusing. The special committee is trying to come up with standard labels to be placed on the car components or better yet, exterior badging that would consistently tell responders that there is a high-voltage battery and high-voltage energized sources somewhere onboard.

This badging could be anything right now. A red firefighter helmet outline. A lightning bolt. Orange marking on the VIN number plates and sticker. Whatever you think. It is the perfect time to suggest what you believe would be a good, reliable, easily understood warning label telling everyone without a doubt that there is high-voltage in this vehicle.

Two exterior badging examples are shown here. Brown car is the rear of the new 2012 Mercedes hybrid. The word HYBRID is pretty clear.

The blue one is the exterior badging on the new 2012 Ford Fusion Electric. This badge appears on each side. it's an example of something that will NOT be easily understood by responders in my opinion.

So, what's your suggestion? What do you think would work?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I don't know what it would take to get it done or anything but around here every police, EMS or fire truck has the hazmat orange book. Is there a way to get a section added in that for hybrid vehicles? Establish a national placard with numbers for hybrids. Kinda like hazmat placards.

This is the only thing I can think of right now before going to bed and getting some sleep.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Wow, I figured this thread would have more posts than this.
    IACOJ Attack

I don't think manufacturers or consumers will like anything on the exterior of the car and won't go for that. Maybe something simple like the top photo would work but in a few years I'm sure a new term will come out that will be the new buzz word. I like the VIN identification idea too like an H at the beginning of the VIN to identify it as a hybrid would work.

I'm wondering about something like a sticker that could be added to a person's license plate when they register their vehicle? Seems easy enough in my opinion for the DMV to be able to identify makes and models as hybrids and simply slap on a sticker in the middle of the plate before handing giving them to the person. Similar to the year stickers that we get when we register every year. Lightning bolt or an H seems pretty clear.

I don't know. Just some thoughts that wandered into my mind.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

IF you can see the Vin,a real issue in my area.

Forum Member

RFID.
    Pets are chipped. Groceries are tagged. Credit cards have emitters.
    A scanner should be able to read from a foot or so away.
    Put a tag on front and back so fire or damage shouldn't disable usability.

I haven't seen one so I don't know what displays, but they should be able to give basic info.

Here are some Real World challenges with something at or on the VIN plate.

I like the idea but we might not always be able to see a letter clearly through the busted laminated glass or with a vehicle-on-vehicle scenario.

Received this information from a firefighter in Australia...

Here in Australia, the owners when registering their vehicles have to display a badge on the vehicle licence plate to define any risks to emergency services personnel.

In the case of a hybrid vehicle, a green diamond is placed in the middle of the plate with the words hybrid scribed in it.

For a LPG powered vehicle a red diamond with LPG is scribed into it. If a vehicle has more than one LPG cylinder then a second diamond is placed on the licence plate.

It is a very simple system which works well, except for backyard installers of LPG who forget to place labels on. The manufacturers of vehicles like the system because they don't have to worry about any badging and the onus is on the state roads department and the legislation.

I have included some photos as attachments to show you.

As a first responder the diamonds are reflective and show up well at night and easy to spot during an initial size up of an incident.

If you need any more info, let me know via this email address, on annual leave at the moment.

Cheers from down under

Rick Owen

MembersZone Subscriber

Hmmm, now there's an idea. Stickers on the license plate.

Forum Member

Badges on the license plates are a good idea until the plate is smashed during a crash leaving no identification of the automotive power.

Forum Member

Jonnycutter, the licence plate system seems to work well as rarely we find both ends of the cars impacted. However with LPG there are telltales like the alternate fill point to look for. In the case of hybrids we also look for vehicle badging as well.

Some states here only require the rear license plate. Others, like Texas, require both.
    IACOJ Attack

Thread Information