Back In Black

Default Mold on Leather Logger Boots

Anyone deal with this?

I have a pair of White's that I hadn't used in a while, they were stored in what I thought was a dry storage building.

I pulled them out and they were covered by a greyish looking bit of mold. Stunk like mildew.

I washed them and scrubbed them and they still have that mildew smell.

Any thoughts?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I would contact White's and ask. Most of the higher end boot manufacturers (White's Included) are happy to offer advice on care and maintenance.

My dad had a pair of leather boat shoes that had the same thing happen. I think he just scrubbed it off and hung them over his furnace for a week or so to dry out and kill any remaining mold.

Forum Member

I've had it happen several times to my Wescos... I dry them, wash them off again, dry and and oil them up again with Obernauf's.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Forum Member

Chief - first make sure its the boots and not your feet that smell. It may be BS -but I was told that putting stuff in the freezer would kill mildew. Never tried it, but I dont think it would hurt the boots one way or another. A couple of sprays of Lysol cant hurt.
    ?

MembersZone Subscriber

No Worries Brother, just wear them for a week and your foot odor will kill the mold smell.
    Last edited by BULL321; 03-02-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    No Worries Brother, just wear them for a week and your feet order will kill the mold smell.
    Damn....

Is that how it's gonna be...
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

I do apologize for the very poor spelling/improper word use, it was late last night and I'd had a long day!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Mold is often an invisible threat to you and your home. When mold spores are present in a humid or moist environment, they can spread quickly; making your home structurally vulnerable and you exposed to potential health problems.

It causes far more than just cosmetic damage to your home. The airborne spores can enter our lungs and cause problems including coughing, inflamed glands, sneezing, asthma attacks and, in some extreme cases, even permanent lung damage. Unfortunately, keeping your home clean is not always enough. Although mold is encouraged by dust and warm, damp conditions, it can infiltrate even the most spotless home. Once it begins to grow, its spores become airborne and might harm the human body. This means that it can enter our lungs and take possession of other parts of our homes. It is surprising how even the smallest growth of mold can give rise to a major problem. You must have what they call mold testing.

Find out more at Mold Testing Services
    Find out more at Mold Testing Services

Thread Information