Like Tree30Likes

Thread: The Little Birdy has whispered yet again.......

Forum Member

Default Few more pictures from the birdy!

Maybe the rubber fender flares make the truck look like it's sitting lower ?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Sorry, I am not seeing it. I agree that the BLACK rear wheel flares may give the illusion that the rear body is lower.

Further look at the driver's side view and the space in the front end between the tire and the body then look at the officer side view and the same gap. Is the truck sagging to the officer's side too?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

It was a simple question, I have seen brand new trucks that were lower in the rear from the start. "DUDE"

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by probable View Post
    It was a simple question, I have seen brand new trucks that were lower in the rear from the start. "DUDE"
    And as I have said, repeatedly, I just don't see it.

Somebody needs to go to the factory and measure it is the only way to end this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Completely different topic.... I will admit that I don't know a thing about where this truck is going in NYC, but hard suction on an FDNY rig?

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by dfelix22000us View Post
    Completely different topic.... I will admit that I don't know a thing about where this truck is going in NYC, but hard suction on an FDNY rig?
    Done to allow the pumpers to have ready access to the many bodies of water surrounding the City in the case of a catastrophic event.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

They also use the front connection to keep street space open.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

If this is the first engine built for the FDNY, the city of New York, can make changes before the next 89 pumpers to be built by KME. This unit maybe a " DEMO " for the city to test!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge View Post
    If this is the first engine built for the FDNY, the city of New York, can make changes before the next 89 pumpers to be built by KME. This unit maybe a " DEMO " for the city to test!
    All units as this one will be built as specified. There are no provisions within their specs or the manufacturer's bid proposal for changes mid-stream. This unit will be assigned to the CTS (Chauffer Training School.) 56 is a disbanded company (Upper Manhattan) however I understand it to be Honorary Asst Chief Jack Lerch's badge number and this was done out of honor and respect to him- which makes sense as he has a huge part in keeping FDNY's official apparatus history data.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Done to allow the pumpers to have ready access to the many bodies of water surrounding the City in the case of a catastrophic event.
    If you look at pictures at the trucks in the boroughs with access to water such as Queens and parts of Brooklyn, they do currently carry 4 sections of hard suction.

The engines that typically don't have that access carry 2, and sometimes 3 lengths.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    They also use the front connection to keep street space open.
    Speaking of connections, it looks like this truck does not have the multiple rear discharges that FDNY has had on their engines for many years.

Would be curious why the change.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

More Pics of the KME from the Buff show on long island this past weekend.

http://nycfire.net/gallery/fdny/kme/

All engines carry at least one 10' section of hard suction. It is used only for drafting.
    They also carry a 10' section of soft suction (looks the same as hard but slightly smaller) for connecting to hydrants.

MembersZone Subscriber

I could have sworn all new engines to the 2,000 gpm pump spec carry at least four lengths of suction...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Are these 2000 gpm? I don't see enough discharges for that.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I think all of the new engines for the last few years have been 2,000 gpm, even the high pressure units. The only exception being the squad company units, they're still 1,000 gpm to keep the pump house shorter so the whole rig is more compact with the rescue pumper body.

Surely someone in the know is aware if the KME pumpers are 2,000 gpm. I know the last of the Seagrave units were, at least according to their website.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Identical to the last Seagraves, there are more than enough discharges to maintain 2000GPM, a discharge capacity of 3125GPM using the NPFA estimates.

5 - 2.5" (250GPM ea. 2 left panel, 2 right panel, 1 bumper)
    2 - 4.5" (750GPM ea. 1 bumper, 1 rear)
    1 - 3" (375GPM ea. deck gun)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Speaking of connections, it looks like this truck does not have the multiple rear discharges that FDNY has had on their engines for many years.

Would be curious why the change.
    Good question, it appears from the above post that they now have a single 4.5" discharge (750 gpm seems low?). Maybe this is reduced to 2.5" or 1.5" for the common stretches? From what I've read and understand, FDNY tends to stretch from difference engines rather than employ multiple lines from the same pump (for obvious reasons).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    I could have sworn all new engines to the 2,000 gpm pump spec carry at least four lengths of suction...
    The new Seagraves do. The older ones only have 2 on them. There are still many of them left. That is what I meant by at least 2 lengths.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good point. Sorry about that.

Forum Member

Do you think that KME Fire Apparatus can make any kind of profit on these pumpers, selling them to the City of New York, at a cost of $550,000 each. When the Seagrave bid was $750,000 each and Ferrara, came in at $650,000 and with a 5 year warranty ?

Forum Member

My personal opinion- unless these things are bombproof, KME's gonna take a bath.

That being said, Philadelphia still has some 1995 pumpers approaching 150-200,000 miles on the clocks in reserve status. Just food for thought.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MickieMac24 View Post
    Identical to the last Seagraves, there are more than enough discharges to maintain 2000GPM, a discharge capacity of 3125GPM using the NPFA estimates.

5 - 2.5" (250GPM ea. 2 left panel, 2 right panel, 1 bumper)
    2 - 4.5" (750GPM ea. 1 bumper, 1 rear)
    1 - 3" (375GPM ea. deck gun)
    The pictures aren't so great. All I initially saw on the front was the intake. I can't make out much of anything on the rear with the exception of the 2 1/2" discharge.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    ......Philadelphia still has some 1995 pumpers approaching 150-200,000 miles on the clocks in reserve status. Just food for thought.
    Sounds like the mileage on some of our front line stuff.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Forum Member

I meant to post these last week. Not the best, but something. Seagrave and KME.

RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Thread Information