Like Tree30Likes

Thread: The Little Birdy has whispered yet again.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Those pictures (top one in particular) bring up a question: Why are so many front suctions above the bumper requiring two 90 degree elbows right from the start? I'd think the cut in as is shown on the drivers side would be a much better solution, especially given the trouble had getting capacity through the front suction?

Forum Member

My guess, for NY's situation, is they use it more for hydrant connections than drafting. The swivel gives them a bit more flexibility and the loss from the bends is not enough to cause an issue.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    My guess, for NY's situation, is they use it more for hydrant connections than drafting. The swivel gives them a bit more flexibility and the loss from the bends is not enough to cause an issue.
    Makes sense for many FD's with a decent pressurized water system and SOG's that require each engine grab it's own hydrant.

Forum Member

Yup, you'll notice that none of my engines have the swivel and extra bends.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

The swivel basically allows you to spot the apparatus in more positions to connect to the hydrant without kinking the hose.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

This.

Been riding and buffing fires with FDNY for 25 years. Last time I saw FDNY drafting at a fire was.......well.........uhh..........hmmmmmmmm..... .Oh yeah now I remember it was Neverember 37th.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

you mean you never buffed on a fireboat ??
    They can suck the hudson river dry. :-}

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Sounds like the mileage on some of our front line stuff.
    Sounds like the mileage on ALL of our front line stuff. Ugh.

Forum Member

Anybody know if that is a spotlight over the lightbar or a thermal imager? Is it related to the video screen in the back of the cab?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    you mean you never buffed on a fireboat ??
    They can suck the hudson river dry. :-}
    As a matter of fact I have ridden with Marine 9 several times, somewheres I have a pic of me on the deck with the twin towers in the background. I know M9 was big but something tells me the pumps aren't THAT big.....

Forum Member

Thumbs up FDNY Fire Boat

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    As a matter of fact I have ridden with Marine 9 several times, somewheres I have a pic of me on the deck with the twin towers in the background. I know M9 was big but something tells me the pumps aren't THAT big.....
    We had a FDNY fire boat here in Woodbridge Twp yesterday, feeding a 12" line neptune system ,going into a manifold which feed five 5" LDH lines, supplying over 3,000 gpm! That boat was amazing !

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Anybody know if that is a spotlight over the lightbar or a thermal imager? Is it related to the video screen in the back of the cab?
    Spotlight and the rear screen is tied into the MDT.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

seems to me I remember reading the newest fire boats have up to 50,000 gpm capability.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge View Post
    We had a FDNY fire boat here in Woodbridge Twp yesterday, feeding a 12" line neptune system ,going into a manifold which feed five 5" LDH lines, supplying over 3,000 gpm! That boat was amazing !
    so tell us more about the Neptune system that was used.

Forum Member

Neptune System is a NJ State resource that can be requested. Large amount of 12" hose with a bunch of manifolds. Neptune is just the name they gave it. Can be requested when needing to move large amounts of water.
    islandfire03 likes this.

Forum Member

Neptune System is a NJ State resource that can be requested. Large amount of 12" hose with a bunch of manifolds. Neptune is just the name they gave it. Can be requested when needing to move large amounts of water.
    Bones, do you think that system was developed a result of the 1975 Trenton Relay(s)?

Forum Member

The first thing they tryed was the tanker task force, but that was still not the water volume that was needed to fight this massive fire, so the Middlesex County mutial aid, called for the FDNY fire boat. The Neptune system came on a single axle flat bed truck with 3 large reels with a blue 12" LDH and a manifold system that can handle up to five 5" LDH lines plus 3" lines. I would think that this setup is use mostly on chemical or tank farm type of fire which would be close to a dock or bulkhead for a fire boat to supply the system!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pumper Guy View Post
    I really think people should get their facts straight before going off about something they don't have the slightest clue about!!!

People's lives must be that boring that they feel the need to come on forums and spread NOT CORRECT information and speculation. I am sure no matter who gets the FDNY contract that that respective builder will issue a FACTUAL press release containing all the details of the bid award.
    I just thought it would be fun to mention that this guy was wrong and FWD was in fact correct on his original information.
    Johngagemn and rm1524 like this.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I just thought it would be fun to mention that this guy was wrong and FWD was in fact correct on his original information.
    Poor guy. He seemed a little up tight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Bones, do you think that system was developed a result of the 1975 Trenton Relay(s)?
    No, that would make too much sense.

I truly believe it was developed cuz someone had to justify funds and positions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge View Post
    The first thing they tryed was the tanker task force, but that was still not the water volume that was needed to fight this massive fire, so the Middlesex County mutial aid, called for the FDNY fire boat. The Neptune system came on a single axle flat bed truck with 3 large reels with a blue 12" LDH and a manifold system that can handle up to five 5" LDH lines plus 3" lines. I would think that this setup is use mostly on chemical or tank farm type of fire which would be close to a dock or bulkhead for a fire boat to supply the system!
    That's the biggest drawback of the system....finding something that can supply it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pumper Guy View Post
    I have ZERO affliation with the FDNY or any manufacturer for your information. However now I will follow this matter to see who wins the bid and what the true facts are. Then I will come back here and see what all the "know it alls" have to say.
    Dammit Memphis, see what you've gone and done..........All I hear is crickets....................

Forum Member

Question

The Neptune system came to the fire scene from Union County, New Jersey but I do not know if a portable pump on a trailer is available to supply the 12" LDH line?

Forum Member

"Zero affiliation!!!"

Only 8 posts and all in this thread. Who woulda thunk?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    "Zero affiliation!!!"

Only 8 posts and all in this thread. Who woulda thunk?
    I have a sneaking suspicion I know who it was/is.....And he is indeed affiliated with one of the three mentioned manufacturers as a sales rep....I wont mention any names but it was not the winning bidder......

Thread Information