Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 305
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: The Little Birdy has whispered yet again.......

  1. #21
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    PumperGuy, are we to assume you work for one of the manufacturers?

    Not even close.


  2. #22
    Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pumper Guy View Post
    However now I will follow this matter to see who wins the bid and what the true facts are. Then I will come back here and see what all the "know it alls" have to say.
    I'm still not understanding what you have your underwear in a bunch about. There were three bid submissions, and they were made public. None of us are foolish enough to think that the lowest bidder always wins, especially in the FDNY, where the bids are deeply evaluated for their compliance with the specifications.

    I'm also intrigued that you say you've been a lurker here for a long time, and now make multiple posts about this very subject after never posting before. What's your beef with this issue?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  3. #23
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Guess Im curious too as to who whipped you in the *** with a twig. All he posted was that a bid process took place with 3 bidders to potentially be awarded a contract. So my question to you, since your going to follow this so closely now, is if your willing to back up your drivel and eat some crow publically should one of the three manufacturers mentioned is in fact awarded the contract? If a fouth, seemingly unknown manufacturer swoops in out of thin air and wins it, I can see your point. But right now, no offense, you look and sound like a total moron. Just sayin.

  4. #24
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pumper Guy View Post
    I really think people should get their facts straight before going off about something they don't have the slightest clue about!!!

    People's lives must be that boring that they feel the need to come on forums and spread NOT CORRECT information and speculation. I am sure no matter who gets the FDNY contract that that respective builder will issue a FACTUAL press release containing all the details of the bid award.
    Your original post certainly indicated to me you have some sort of stake in this, regardless of what you say now. In this OP you are pretty certain FWD's info is NOT CORRECT, but have yet to provide anything to the contrary. The fact you felt the need to post this OP using three exclamation points at the end of the first paragraph and typing the NOT CORRECT in all caps contradicts nearly every other post you've made. I can say that I doubt most of us care what you find and bring back today, tomorrow or ever given your stellar entrance.

  5. #25
    Forum Member IronsMan53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Your original post certainly indicated to me you have some sort of stake in this, regardless of what you say now. In this OP you are pretty certain FWD's info is NOT CORRECT, but have yet to provide anything to the contrary. The fact you felt the need to post this OP using three exclamation points at the end of the first paragraph and typing the NOT CORRECT in all caps contradicts nearly every other post you've made. I can say that I doubt most of us care what you find and bring back today, tomorrow or ever given your stellar entrance.
    He got his panties in a wad because some guys on an internet forum knew more than he did.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

    One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

  6. #26
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Well, which is it? Is the allegation correct that the not correct information is, in fact, not correct or is it not correct that the not correct information is, in fact, correct, making it correct, in turn, making the not correct statement, not correct?

    Who is really bored here?

  7. #27
    Forum Member Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,672

    Default

    Thank you all for a very entertaining thread. Definitely in the top 10 here....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  8. #28
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    Damn -I thought I was wound tight - that guy makes me look like Jimmy Buffet.
    ?

  9. #29
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Hanover, PA--The snack food capitol of the world!
    Posts
    51

    Default

    In order to prevent any further panty-related trauma, I found the following in about five minutes of internet searching. This is the official bid tabulation from the NYC Office of Citywide Purchasing.

    http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloa...cp/1200206.pdf

    Phil Goldsmith
    Hanover, PA

  10. #30
    Forum Member IronsMan53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pgoldsmith View Post
    In order to prevent any further panty-related trauma, I found the following in about five minutes of internet searching. This is the official bid tabulation from the NYC Office of Citywide Purchasing.

    http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloa...cp/1200206.pdf

    Phil Goldsmith
    Hanover, PA
    OUCH!!! My bet is Pumper Guy doesn't come back on here and have his serving of crow.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

    One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

  11. #31
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,904

    Default

    What is it lately with the parade of dick heads that seem to only come here trying to start a big bruhaha over nothing?

    I fail to see what FWDbuff said that would cause Pumper Guy to go all balistic like he did. So once again it seems we have a troll who is here for nothing other than arguments. Now I enjoy a heated debate as much as the next guy, but I usually have a basis for the debate, not some idiotic drivel over nothing.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  12. #32
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    238

    Default

    I assume that the FDNY is requiring a stainless steel cab for the new pumpers as they did for the new Rescue trucks and the RM Aerials that were recently purchased from Ferrara. If this is the case, does KME offer a S/S cab (at least 3CR12) now or are they going to build one for the FDNY bid like Ferrara did? Anybody know?

  13. #33
    MembersZone Subscriber jfTL41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Ok smart guys who was the fourth interested manufacturer who expressed serious interest but ended up backing off?

    And whatever drugs they are doing in Wisconsin these days must be pretty damn good, $827k for a pumper? Really guys? Another nail in the coffin of an old time apparatus builder. The FFA rigs leave ALOT to be desired, but it is hard to justify that much of a price disparity.
    As for KME stainless cabs, they have made them for many years.

  14. #34
    Forum Member IronsMan53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jfTL41 View Post
    Ok smart guys who was the fourth interested manufacturer who expressed serious interest but ended up backing off?
    Well... we all can't have your inside info.

    I rely on knowledgeable sources like yourself for information.

    You're right about the price though. 200k between the low and high bids for a pumper is quite steep... 5 year warranty or not.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

    One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

  15. #35
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    61

    Default FDNY BId Results

    Geez you guys can't we all just get along and report the facts...

    Thanks to the poster who provided the official opening results but as they say "it ain't over till it's over" AND I too agree $200K per truck difference is absurb and WTF how can someone be that LOW or that HIGH for a FDNY Pumper...

    Regardless of the FDNY Warranty Costs a nearly $20M difference between LOW and HIGH bid is quite striking and that KME's nearly $10M lower than Ferrara and Ferrara's $10M below Seagrave makes me ask WTF is going on in this business.

    I've been in the industry 30 years and I've never seen such a wide range of bid pricing lately and it's not "illegal" to lose money in this business and the FDNY need to ensure that they purchase apparatus that will stand up to their severe operating conditions.

    But as they too "it ain't over till it's over" and we'll see who gets the award...

  16. #36
    Forum Member Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,672

    Default

    Maybe FDNY spec demands are too rough on manufacturers to really want to win?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  17. #37
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aerialguy11 View Post
    Geez you guys can't we all just get along and report the facts...

    Thanks to the poster who provided the official opening results but as they say "it ain't over till it's over" AND I too agree $200K per truck difference is absurb and WTF how can someone be that LOW or that HIGH for a FDNY Pumper...

    Regardless of the FDNY Warranty Costs a nearly $20M difference between LOW and HIGH bid is quite striking and that KME's nearly $10M lower than Ferrara and Ferrara's $10M below Seagrave makes me ask WTF is going on in this business.

    I've been in the industry 30 years and I've never seen such a wide range of bid pricing lately and it's not "illegal" to lose money in this business and the FDNY need to ensure that they purchase apparatus that will stand up to their severe operating conditions.

    But as they too "it ain't over till it's over" and we'll see who gets the award...
    Just a guess but, the disparity could be in the SWAG used to estimate the cost of a five year warranty. Where Seagrave has the experience with backing it up for many years and the others do not. Having been involved with pricing warranties for base units and extended warranty options I know it is mostly grabbing at air.

    Another factor to consider is that pricing can be held over and even reduced when a company's backlog is disappearing. The shorter the backlog, the more desperate the company.

  18. #38
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Gotta love this line item:

    Training
    KME $3,000.00
    Ferrara $5,000.00
    Seagrave $165,500.00

  19. #39
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,224

    Default

    KME would sell their Mothers to get a large truck order with the FDNY!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  20. #40
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Would be very interesting to see what happens to say the least. I also heard that FDNY tagged on more rear mounts to their current order, making the entire the fleet of rear mounts will be Ferrara's.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Bridgeton, Maine: A little birdy told me......
    By FWDbuff in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-08-2010, 05:16 PM
  2. A Little Birdy Told Me This Morning
    By MalahatTwo7 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-05-2006, 12:14 PM
  3. A Little Birdy Told Me Da Rev
    By MalahatTwo7 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-16-2003, 07:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts