Thread: Daytona 500

Forum Member

Default Daytona 500

Unless I missed it, I did not see foam used for the jet fuel fire/spill. Would that not have been ideal?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keenque View Post
    Unless I missed it, I did not see foam used for the jet fuel fire/spill. Would that not have been ideal?
    I guess you must have. I saw foam being applied and foam cans sitting in front of one of the pumpers operating on the apron.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I was a little nervous watching the whole thing. I don't know that the TV people were aware of just how much danger there was to the safety team, and I was worried that somebody would get hurt or killed in front of millions of viewers.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Has anyone seen video of the whole Firefighting operation? They kept cutting away from it in all the clips I've seen.

I'm sure it was a "Holy Cow!" moment for the Safety Crew but it looked to me like they had adequate equipment and personnel to take care of it. I saw FF's in SCBA down by the Engine, but I didn't see them attacking the fire, it looked to me like it was just the regular safety crew handling the hoselines?

I've had the opportunity to work the Safety Crew at a few races (nothing remotely close to this big, just local dirt track stuff) and I personally think they did a pretty good job handling the situation.

Forum Member

No, more like a "HOLY @#$%" moment. In my almost 20 years of working at our nearby International Speedway, I have never seen anything like that. That had me more nervous than last years Sprint Cup wreck on the last lap, and that roll over and fire occurred right in front of me!
    WOW! It was good to see that the track fire trucks were backed up by at least 3 Class 1 pumpers. I know that two of our track trucks only carry 200 gallons of water pre-mixed to a 3% solution with the fire supressing agent we use. We do keep a third truck with water only, but can mix it in a hurry if we have to.
    In conclusion, IMHO the crew at Daytona did a GREAT JOB. I am so glad that didn't happen near a grandstand, or worse, under the starters platform. That could have turned into a MCI in a hurry.
    Well done Daytona.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

Forum Member

Default Safety

As a long time member of a large fire department we had engines inside the race circuit of the Long Beach Grand Prix. Our duties were to protect and have crews to handle fires inside the tract. If there was a fire on the tract or pits we were instructed to let the Safety Crews handle it and for us to protect the exposures. I think they did a great job and no one was injured which is the ultimate outcome you hope to expect.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I found video of the whole thing, I guess I just didn't remember seeing the whole firefighting effort the first time.

They also stayed a lot further away than I thought, the only person who's placement I would question was the guy on top of the wall with no SCBA. Great job with a very unusual situation!

Thread Information